The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 14, 2004, 07:30 AM   #1
Lightsped

semiauto slide refinishing

I know there are lots of variables involved, but generally speaking, how much do gunshops charge to refinish a SIG, HK, Glock, etc... blue slide into something that looks more like stainless. Not interested in hard chrome.
Old September 14, 2004, 10:39 AM   #2
Handy

Hard chrome is probably the closest thing to stainless, appearance wise.

Other choices are baked on silver paint finishes, like Gunkote. Or some version of nickel, which is a metalic plating that doesn't look alot like stainless (I don't know why this would be prefered to chrome). And lastly, a Glock slide, being corrosion resistant due to its tennifer heat treatment can be polished until the black oxide is gone and the bare steel shows, but it will not corrode. The other guns could probably be treated similarly, but their more complicated shape makes it harder to do, plus the HKs and Walther are available with stainless slides.

Really, hard chrome is definitely your best option, but if not, the silver Gunkote is probably the least painful option.

Just a slide will run between $30 and $80, for any of the processes, FYI.
Old September 14, 2004, 09:31 PM   #3
gundoc

I apply GunKote and DuraCoat to firearms. I have a low overhead, so my prices are on the lower end of average. I charge $55 for the coating and recommend another $30 for a phosphating process to enhance adhesion and durability. The cost of the coating is not that expensive, but the labor is intensive. The slide must be fully disassembled, degreased, prepped, sprayed, cured, lubed and reassembled. Any oils left around pins or screws will leach out and ruin the finish, and small parts need to be coated individually. Some shops also charge for the disassembly as an additional line item. Hope this helps you.

Doc
Old October 22, 2004, 12:12 PM   #4
Wallew

Consider having it plated in Nickel. You would have to strip it yourself OR have your gunsmith strip it and send it out.

Plating on the slide would be in the $50 -$100 area. At least here in Denver. And the nickel plating looks like a 'soft' stainless.

A buddy of mine at gunsmithing school used to take AK's and have them nickel plated. Then he 'pimped out' all the levers in GOLD. Furniture was black, generally just painted the wood. Looked really sharp and sold them for about $850 (about a $400+ profit).

Hope that helps.
Old November 2, 2004, 12:30 PM   #5
PzB41

I remember that AK. I thought it was the funniest thing I have ever seen. This was about, what, 4 years ago or so?

People will buy anything. Cops will buy anything, including dog [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color], so long as you paint it black and put velcro on it somewhere and call it 'tactical' something-or-other.

I always thought that a silver-plated Colt's New Service with Gaboon Ebony grips would look very elegant. In 45 Colt, of course. It would involve boring the cylinder through on a 45 ACP-version instead of altering a much-rarer 45 Colt version. But I think it would be the tits.

Pz

Current favorites in the safe: Pre-64 M70 in .300 WinMag, Steyr SSG69, H&K 93A4 and 91, M21, H&K USP (C), Colt 1911A1 & Anaconda, S&W M57.

Disabled Veteran (10 Years Active, US Army)
NRA Life Member
Graduate CST, Denver, CO.
Precision Rifle Instructor
Professional Gunsmith/Riflemaker
Student of Engineering
Old November 26, 2004, 03:48 PM   #6
USMCsilver

I'd be more than happy to do it for you. Check out my site; if you have any questions, just holler!

http://webpages.charter.net/usmcsilver/freshfinishes