The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 18, 2001, 10:27 AM   #1
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

For those who like to shoot outdoors in the sunshine - do you still wear safety glasses?
Or do you wear sunglasses?

I have a line of some really cool safety glasses that are also sunglasses. Perfect for the Shooter, Instructor or Officer or anyone really. These things provide as good or better protection that regular safety glasses. They look really cool too - I'm not talking about the mono wrap around 80's pimp type either. These are styling.
Cost is pretty cheep. Just a little more than regular cheapo safety glasses - and a heck of a lot cheaper than Gargoyles or the like.

Would you guys be interested at all in these?
I might put up an informal web page that gives you the number to call to order.

(I also have a very slick line of gas/fume masks if you guys would be interested in those as well - give me feed back - I dont want to waste time/effort on this if you guys are not interested)
Old April 18, 2001, 10:59 AM   #2
fulltlt

Do they work for people who already wear glasses?
Old April 18, 2001, 11:01 AM   #3
Q-Man

Cool. I would be interested in finding out more about these and how to order them.
Old April 18, 2001, 01:09 PM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

If you have glasses already? No.
Sorry.
Old April 18, 2001, 08:51 PM   #5
PJ11B3VF7

Yeah sounds interesting to all of the above. What kind of gas/fume masks are you talking about?
Old April 19, 2001, 05:20 PM   #6
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

I use Browning shooting glasses. The lenses are removable and there are 5 different shades I can pop in. However, unlike George's line, the Brownings run over $100.

I don't think you'll have any problems marketing those George. Good luck!
Old April 19, 2001, 07:47 PM   #7
PJ11B3VF7

Hey, George can you e-mail me some pics, links, prices etc?

Thanks

Pete

[email protected]
Old April 21, 2001, 07:04 AM   #8
Jamie Young

I wear sun glasses even though there probable not the strongest or safest. The problem I have with most Safety Glasses is they are not as clear as my Scopes are. Its real annoying trying to find the clear spot on the glasses so I can see the Crosshairs right. I'm interested?
Old April 21, 2001, 06:52 PM   #9
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

PJ11B3VF7 - No, I dont have any images in softcopy...
Yet.
I think I'll be putting this up quite soon.
The masks - I have a line of many types... I'll have to put that up too.

You know what... Okay... I'll do it. I'l get on it shortly.
Old April 23, 2001, 02:45 AM   #10
Kevlarman

Do these glasses provide UV protection or ANSI rated impact resistance?
Old April 23, 2001, 06:04 AM   #11
Coronach

Hey, I'm interested as well. I was looking it Wiley-X shooting glasses (nice, but...damn! The pricetag) and would like an equally functional but much less expensive option.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old April 25, 2001, 01:16 PM   #12
Correia

You have seen the el-cheapo crappy safety glasses that I wear when shooting. No style whatsoever, and I look like a highschool wood shop teacher.

I'm interested.
Old April 25, 2001, 02:21 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

Call me cheap...

and like Correia, I buy and wear the cheap stuff. Consumer Reports researched the subject of UV protection and said that cheap glasses also work. For my cheapies, I went to WallyWorld (Walmart) and bought it for about $10. It came with a "croakie" neckstrap too.

Oh, on the issue of fashionable attire, I'm a guy. Wodda I kear or know about it?
Old April 25, 2001, 08:58 PM   #14
skdtac

George,

Best of luck with your new line of glasses. ArmySon, if you are using the Browning Featherlite shooting glasses those are a great choice. We carry them for $90, under their manufacturers name, the Bolle Vigilante.

Folks, whatever you do, please dedicate a pair of eyepro for shooting. Don't go with out it cause you'll never see "it" hit you.

Best,
Old April 26, 2001, 09:07 AM   #15
Coronach

Yo, George!

Where's the link, eh?

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old April 30, 2001, 05:57 PM   #16
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I'm still considering this...
I'm also considering expanding everything to include gloves, gas/vapor masks, boots, scuba (firefighter type not swimming type), Emergency Medical gear, even flashlights.
There are a lot of things I might do...

One thing, I'm doing this targeting Business and bulk orders type things. I'm really not interested in doing a normal Commercial type site... I dont have the time to process hundreds of orders for 1 item type orders.
In fact - What I want to do is open "Accounts" so my customers can place the orders, we ship, and then we bill them... That way I dont have to deal with credit card issues. There are problems with that - such as credit and business verifications and what not - but in the end it will be easier for both me and my clients...
Now - for just the Safety Goggle/Sunglasses - that I might due as a simple shopping cart type commercial site...
Not sure yet.
Still looking into the program.
Old April 30, 2001, 06:44 PM   #17
Coronach

I am most certainly inetersted.

Mike

Old April 30, 2001, 06:45 PM   #18
Coronach

Weel u karry hokt on fonicks to? I kent spehl vury gud.

Mike

Old April 30, 2001, 10:20 PM   #19
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

If I don't... a google search will find it for you...
I'm talking to a potential host tomorrow. I'm going to get a killer deal:
http://www.M5Media.com is run by a fellow that I know and is going to hook me up for hosting and even development.
Old May 1, 2001, 03:56 PM   #20
Reloader

A good source for shooting glasses, includiong cipons, is Sinclair International. http://www.sinclairintl.com They make a first clss product.
Old May 2, 2001, 11:08 PM   #21
Indy Steve

I would like to see what's available.

Shooting glasses, flashlight, and some medical gear like an EMT type trauma jump bag would be my interest. Any chance TFL can have a corporate account that the members can access individually?