The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 9, 2013, 10:32 PM   #1
Buzzard Bait

percieved recoil scoped vs unscoped?

I have a light weight 308 rifle that for years was punishing to shoot. Better eye sight due to new glasses progressive lenses and a desire to shoot more traditionally got me to remove the scope and shoot iron sights. Now I know the gun is going to recoil harder with out the scope because it weighs less very simple physics. But the perceived recoil to me seems much less. I think I tighten up my shoulder with the scope from fear of being whapped over the eye buy the scope thus feeling more recoil where as with the irons I just let it come back and sort of go with the flow and it feels like less recoil. Has anyone else noticed this are am I just dreaming
bb
Old October 9, 2013, 10:41 PM   #2
TXAZ

Getting whopped above the eye with a scope is a real pain (I've heard ) and the fear can affect your shooting. Yes the recoil will be marginally greater, but I wouldn't expect it to be substantially greater for a typical scope.

Video tape/ iPhone yourself and look at the difference.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 10, 2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Mobuck

Psychological fear of getting bopped by the scope very likely caused you to tense up. I've never been "bopped by the scope" but an old hunting buddy used to get the treatment about once a year. He got it from a 7mm mag in Montana, a 12 gauge slug gun in Illinois, and a TC 50 muzzleloader in Colorado while in my presence. He came up asking "did I hit it" each time. I can't say it made him a better shot.
Old October 13, 2013, 04:52 AM   #4
kln4

My M1A has a pretty good recoil also. My eye sight got worse as I got older so I mounted a scope. It never really occurred to me of the scope hitting me in the eye, and so far it hasn't. I've shot .308 since the mid 60's and I just "jamb" the butt into my shoulder the way I was trained to do, but sometimes I get lazy and forget and the rifle lets me know about it.
Old October 13, 2013, 07:02 AM   #5
4runnerman

How does one get hit in the eye with a scope?. Not to pick here,but I have often wondered that. 40 plus years of shooting everything under the sun and never even been close to that happening. To me all I can come up with is it must be almost like limp wristing a pistol except you are limp necking ( new word ). The scope is 3 plus inches away from your eye,as the rifle recoils so does your head and shoulders.---right?.

I can imagine that a scope in the eye from a big hitter would very much be, so to say uncomfortable.
Old October 13, 2013, 07:28 AM   #6
kln4

I've seen a few. In every incident either the scope rings were too loose or the scope mount was either attached improperly or not tightened down.
Old October 13, 2013, 08:57 AM   #7
jmr40

I ran the math using this site. http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp
and a 150 gr 308 bullet @2800 fps with 47 gr of powder. I figured 7 lbs for an unscoped rifle, 8 lbs for a scoped rifle. That is about right with mounts. Recoil was 14.6 ft lbs vs 16.75 ft lbs. 2 1/2 ft lbs is about the same as the difference between a 30-06 and 308, so it should be noticeable. If your rifle is lighter, or heavier, the numbers will vary slightly, but the spread will be about the same.

I've long said that most felt recoil is between the ears. People often complain about certain guns recoil, magnums in particular, while suggesting a non-magnum alternative that actually has more recoil.

Quote:
I think I tighten up my shoulder with the scope from fear of being whapped over the eye buy the scope thus feeling more recoil
You are probably right. The secret to shooting heavy recoiling rifles is to relax and go with the flow. Fight it and it hurts. This is the same reason a lot of 150 lb guys are bothered much less by recoil than a 250 lb guy shooting the same gun. The little guy just moves with the recoil, while the heavier guy soaks it all up.
Old October 13, 2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Bloused eyebrow? Generally, from one or more: Scope mounted too far back, maybe due to short eye-relief. Crawling forward on the stock. Holding the rifle rather loosely, with the shoulder moving back from recoil.
Old October 13, 2013, 11:32 AM   #9
JD0x0

Getting bitten by the scope is 99% the shooters fault IMO. Good technique will avoid it, along with proper eye relief. It's the reason why my bro has been 'bitten' by his .177 cal pellet gun, yet my .270 win rifle has never gotten me, despite the optics having the same eye relief.
Old October 13, 2013, 07:46 PM   #10
Mobuck

Several of the contacts I've seen were direct result of "crawling the stock" and/or shooting prone and not accounting for the change in angle of the body to stock.
Old October 13, 2013, 08:29 PM   #11
Ricklin

DIY??

Let's not forget the DIY guys. Most scope mounts allow a fair amount of latitude with regard to eye relief. Easy for a newbie to make a painful error with regard to eye relief.

Another is crawling the stock, probably more common.
Old October 14, 2013, 09:14 AM   #12
Jim243

Recoil on a scoped or non-scoped rifle will be the same regardless. How you hold the rifle will make the difference whether you get scope eyebrow or not.

I too have the habit of ridding up on the scope on high powered rifles, especially with high magnification (24 power) where the eye relief is less (about 3 inches).

The solution is to use a slip-on recoil pad which will give you a 1 inch longer length of pull on the stock and force you to stay away from the scope as well as reduce the felt recoil.

Jim