The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 1, 2013, 10:03 PM   #26
bigredfish

Congrats on your first Sig. I have a few and with many thousands of rounds through classic Sig P series, I doubt you'll have any troubles.

As mentioned, the barrel smilies are standard.

Take good advice and use grease on the rails, TW-25B or better, Slide Glide. Sigs like to run wet, oil isn't really enough for the slide.
Old March 2, 2013, 06:57 AM   #27
Single Six

dgludwig: Thanks much for the kind words, and I'm glad that all is still cool. I am also glad that your Sig has run fine thus far. To be totally fair about it, those spring breaks haven't happened to me since the last one, which was some years back. Heck, my 2 Sig incidents were quite possibly just my bad luck. Sometimes I think that I could inherit General Motors, and on the following day, Congress would outlaw cars.
Old March 2, 2013, 10:02 AM   #28
wgsigs

Quote:
To be totally fair about it, those spring breaks haven't happened to me since the last one, which was some years back. Heck, my 2 Sig incidents were quite possibly just my bad luck.
Maybe and maybe not. As I recall there was a problem with some trigger bar springs on Sigs being more susceptible to breaking, but this was maybe back in the '90s? Sig changed the design of the spring, adding a loop coil in the middle of the spring, but for the P226, P228, P229, and P245 models.

EDIT: I can't find a new spring for the P220 so maybe Sig didn't see the need to change the design for the P220.

Old P226
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-trig...old-style.html

New P226
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-trig...new-style.html

BTW belated congratulations, rc1988! The P226 is a fine pistol.

Last edited by wgsigs; March 2, 2013 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Remove comment about new P220 spring
Old March 2, 2013, 03:15 PM   #29
Single Six

wgsigs: My first incident with this was on a blued P220, and took place in the mid 1990s. The next occurrence was with the stainless model, and this was within the first year of my having been issued that weapon. That was roughly 10 years back.