The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 25, 2012, 10:43 PM   #26
sc928porsche

Durn, I knew I was strange. I likes dem Maxwell house jugs and loves the lee dies.
Old December 25, 2012, 10:48 PM   #27
tkglazie

Quote:
I appreciate the insight, I read and re read about this as its one of my bigger concerns!
I will say though, before you get too obsessed with primer pocket cleaning, take note of the fact that other than the few hundred lever action rifle rounds I have loaded, I have yet to touch a primer pocket in any handgun case that I have reloaded. I tumble my cases with fired caps still in place and decap, size and prime at stage 1. Firmly seating a primer is FAR more important than cleaning a primer pocket, in my opinion.

That said, if you are loading for rifle (non-AR or other volume cartridge), I certainly can see no reason NOT to take the extra time to clean your primer pockets. For non-BR and non-HD/SD handgun cartridges though, I would personally skip the step. Take my experience for example- 2 failures out of 12K, with both failures being the result of a lack of elbow grease in a particular cartridge. Also note that I have not seen a single failure in over 3K .380 cartridges since I changed my primer seating and checking process (and I still do not decap before tumbling)

I cant determine your process for you, I just thought that was worth noting.
Old December 25, 2012, 11:12 PM   #28
JimDandy

Ziploc bags work for empty brass. Once that brass is primed, I wouldn't put it back in a ziploc... just the handload round containers like the ones from MTM. Too many horror stories about something touching off a primer.

And good luck getting anything right now. I finally put together a christmas list for my pops, cause he's always complaining about not knowing what to get my brother and me. By the time he went shopping for me, damn near everything on the list was out of stock. The tumbler, the Classic Deluxe kid, the FMJ-FP, the Large pistol primers. I went to four websites looking for the tumbler, all out, at least 9 weeks out. I got some of the stuff would get hit by the recent panic buying, but even the Precision Accuracy kit was just some peripheral equipment for max accuracy... its just nuts.

Last edited by JimDandy; December 26, 2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old December 26, 2012, 08:32 AM   #29
Supermech21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkglazie View Post
I will say though, before you get too obsessed with primer pocket cleaning, take note of the fact that other than the few hundred lever action rifle rounds I have loaded, I have yet to touch a primer pocket in any handgun case that I have reloaded. I tumble my cases with fired caps still in place and decap, size and prime at stage 1. Firmly seating a primer is FAR more important than cleaning a primer pocket, in my opinion.

That said, if you are loading for rifle (non-AR or other volume cartridge), I certainly can see no reason NOT to take the extra time to clean your primer pockets. For non-BR and non-HD/SD handgun cartridges though, I would personally skip the step. Take my experience for example- 2 failures out of 12K, with both failures being the result of a lack of elbow grease in a particular cartridge. Also note that I have not seen a single failure in over 3K .380 cartridges since I changed my primer seating and checking process (and I still do not decap before tumbling)

I cant determine your process for you, I just thought that was worth noting.
Thanks for the insight. Since I'm going to be reloading ammo that wasn't mine and I'm not sure if it was fired once or three times I'm going to clean the primer pockets just as a precaution.
Old December 26, 2012, 08:48 AM   #30
David Bachelder

So what equipment are you running, tumbler type, de primer, measurement tools, lubrications?

RCBS Turret Press.
Lyman tumbler 50:50 corn/walnut and a cap ful of Nufinish.
I use the resize decap die that comes with the die set.
I have a Harbor Freight digital caliper.
RCBS Lube and pad.
Most of my dies are RCBS, I have a set or two of LEE and a Redding sizer. I prefer the RCBS Dies.
Old December 26, 2012, 11:41 AM   #31
hounddawg

try just washing the brass in a bit of dish soap and citric acid, cleans and shines the outside of the brass just as well as a vibratory tumbler as well as cleans about 99% of the inside. The citric is supposed to leave a film which helps them stay shiny, but I won't swear to that as I recently just switched from vinegar. 5 gal bucket, 1 gal water, squirt of whatever dish detergent you have under the sink and a tablespoon of lemon juice and you have clean shiny cases. Just rinse them well afterward.

The downside to wet cleaning is having top dry them. Oven on a old cookie sheet at 255, towel in sun, one guy here recently posted he puts them in a mesh laundry bag and hangs that off the door to his clothes dryer. With any method tumble them in a old towel first to remove 90% of the water and the drying will not take long. The other downside is if the brass is tarnished black it will take off the black layer of tarnish but will leave any pink oxides. Dry tumbling will remove both. I don't even bother with brass that tarnished I just toss it in the recycle can

The upside is you can clean 1000 cases for less than a quarter invested

Last edited by hounddawg; December 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old December 26, 2012, 02:00 PM   #32
tkglazie

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. Since I'm going to be reloading ammo that wasn't mine and I'm not sure if it was fired once or three times I'm going to clean the primer pockets just as a precaution.
Understood. There is certainly nothing wrong with being meticulous.
Old December 26, 2012, 02:08 PM   #33
Supermech21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDandy View Post

And good luck getting anything right now. I finally put together a christmas list for my pops, cause he's always complaining about not knowing what to get my brother and me. By the time he went shopping for me, damn near everything on the list was out of stock. The tumbler, the Classic Deluxe kid, the FMJ-FP, the Large pistol primers. I went to four websites looking for the tumbler, all out, at least 9 weeks out. I got some of the stuff would get hit by the recent panic buying, but even the Precision Accuracy kit was just some peripheral equipment for max accuracy... its just nuts.
Not sure where you or your dad looked but I just ordered a cabelas tumbler and lee classic turret.

The press is on a 0-1 week wait, I'm not worried about that. And if it doesn't come in time call and express your dissatisfaction with their online sales, I'm sure they will make it right.
Old December 26, 2012, 02:52 PM   #34
JimDandy

thumlers tumbler, and hornady Classic Deluxe press kit, already have an ammo plant, and a vibratory tumbler.
Old December 26, 2012, 03:18 PM   #35
Turbo6ta

If you don't load lots of rounds, a good "turret press" may be your best option and is certainly cheaper than a progressive press.

I have found that the Lee 4-Hole Classic Turret Press to be one of the best in this catagory of presses. This press also "auto-indexes", so it advances each die to the round with each stroke of the handle. (saves time and trouble)

This will give you an idea as to what you will need to buy and the approximate cost:

Be advised that you will also need a scale (digital or beam style) and a digital micrometer.

Lee 4-Hole Classic Turret Press
(Auto indexing)
SKU: 90064
$ 103

Lee Carbide 4-Die Set
(Includes: Sizing / Decapping Die, Powder Through Expanding Die, Bullet Seating Die, Factory Crimp Die)
SKU: 90968
$ 43

Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure
SKU: 90429
$ 39

Lee Auto-Disk Riser
(Required for use with the Auto-Disk Powder Measure)
SKU: 90041
$ 9

Lee Safety Primer Feeder
SKU: 90997
$ 23

All prices are approximate

And for a great little electronic scale that's cheap and reliable down to 0.02gr:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh.../dp/B0012TDNAM ... Check out the 200 reviews on this scale

Last edited by Turbo6ta; December 27, 2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old December 26, 2012, 05:30 PM   #36
tkglazie

Top notch recommendations turbo.

Good to know others are using that scale. Measures to .02grains. Cant beat it for spot checking loads, sorting components, anything, really. You will need to set a larger pan on top of the one that comes with it though. I use my Lee Safety Scale pan.
Old December 26, 2012, 09:57 PM   #37
Turbo6ta

QUOTE "tkglazie" ...

Good to know others are using that scale. Measures to .02grains. Cant beat it for spot checking loads, sorting components, anything, really. You will need to set a larger pan on top of the one that comes with it though.

But, if you only load .45ACP with an average powder load of 4-6 gr, the little pan that comes with this scale if more than big enough.
Old December 26, 2012, 11:21 PM   #38
tkglazie

good point turbo- "need" was the wrong word.

I "like" using a larger pan than the one that comes with it, but I do not have to. The arm that extends off of the Lee pan works as an excellent "handle" for me, I have more positive control of the tested charges when I am taking them off the scale to pour back into the hopper. Less spilled pans of powder
Old December 26, 2012, 11:30 PM   #39
Supermech21

Thanks for all the insight guys... I'll make a new thread when my purchases come in of my work are and press/ tumbler set up.