The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2013, 11:14 AM   #1
fnbrowning

If you like W748 / AA2520 for .223 come in.

Hello;

First, I know there will be those that want me to dump these powders in favor of your favorite propellant, but please respect that's not what I'm going to do.. . .

I'm loading 69gr SMKs and in these days of restricted powder availability, I want to just discuss the two powders. W748 and AA2520.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know if you've tried W748 against AA2520. I was going to let my AA2520 run out and switch to W748, due to the fact I have more on hand. But I'm starting to second guess that path.

I invite the ball powder guys to rate these powders against each other for maximum suitability with the 68/69 grain bullets in autoloaders.

Thanks!
Old October 25, 2013, 06:54 PM   #2
histed

I've shot a lot of W748 with 45, 50 and mostly 55 gr bullets through my Model 70 with very good results. Pre-Obama I did try AA2520 and AA2230, but I went back to 748. That said, my rifle has a slower twist and nothing heavier than 55 gr will stabilize. 60gr on up shoot patterns, not groups, and the heavier they get the bigger the pattern. Sounds like you have a tighter twist, so who knows? Right now I'm settled on H335, but that's because I haven't seen 748 for more than a year. H335, however, seems to be in endless supply in this area (for now).
Old October 25, 2013, 07:24 PM   #3
fnbrowning

Yes histed, I do have a faster twist, 1:7 in fact.

I can imagine that the AA2520 probably was not quite right for your lighter bullets. Thank you for the comments though.
Old October 26, 2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

I've run 2230 with 53 grain SMK's, and it shot fine at 200 yards, but no 2520 .223 loads. 748's been in a lot of match loads over the years. IIRC, Glen Zediker mentions it in Handloading for Competition. Still, match winners usually post stick powder loads, and I can't recall one listing 748 offhand. 2520 I tried one year in my M1A under 168 gr SMK's. I wound up having to deburr flash holes to get groups as small as my stick loads did with the same bullets with the same Federal 210M primers (I was blissfully unaware of slamfire primer issues at the time; early 90's). The 2520 load didn't fill the case well, being more dense than single-base stick powders of similar burn rate. In hindsight, a magnum primer might have shrunk groups like deburring did for me with that low case fill.

I've never tried 2520 in the .223, but don't see why it shouldn't work OK. You may end up wanting magnum primers with it, but I don't know.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 26, 2013, 10:55 PM   #5
Marco Califo

I bought some AA2520 mainly because Accurate lists the fastest loads for the 65 gr SGK and other heavy bullets. I havent loaded them up yet. I would certainly compare Accurate online data to Winchester/Hodgdon/IMR online load data.
I have been very pleased with Accurate's ball powders that I have used, like 8 lbs of 2230-C.