The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 13, 2012, 11:07 AM   #1
cajun47

shooting(smashed) 9mm and .22lr brass out of a 12 ga shell.

i smashed some 9mm brass with a sledge hammer that look pretty wicked with some sharp edges. smashed them like pancakes. i can fit 4 in a remington #8 low brass shell. would they damage the inside of the barrel?

i fit 21 of smashed .22lr brass.
Old December 13, 2012, 11:27 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Hey Ya'll watch this...

If they get crossways, could they bind up?

That could be a bad pressure spike i reckon...

The other risk is that 2 or more get too tight together... Not being lead they will not swage down with the same ease...

Sounds like a recipe for disaster...

I surely would not try such... And under no cicumstances include any spectators in your folly if you choose to move forward by pulling the trigger backwards...

Brent
Old December 13, 2012, 12:05 PM   #3
CurlyQ.Howard

Get them to try it on Myth Busters first.
Old December 13, 2012, 12:07 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Curly has a good idea...

Brent
Old December 13, 2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Fit inside a shotshell cup probably not, key word being probably. Problems will happen after they leave the muzzle because of their shape. Wad falls away and their ballistics will be horrible, they will lose velocity fast and most likely spread out all over the place so forget about patterns unless you are belly button to belly button with your target. Things will get shot you never intended to get shot and your target will probably be the only thing not in danger. I would strongly advise against this particular experiment.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 13, 2012, 12:27 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

One more question??? You did remove the primers before smashing, correct???

Some if not most primers in the 9mm casings could be made of steel, right...

Brent
Old December 13, 2012, 03:52 PM   #7
SoilworK777

I'd guess they would produce a pretty poor pattern, and questionable penetration.

I wouldn't invest too much time and energy trying to make shotgun ammo that is "more deadly" than the over the counter variety.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:42 PM   #8
cajun47

well im glad i asked. i'll stick with lead.
Old December 14, 2012, 09:26 AM   #9
MagnumWill

Something tells me it would mimic confetti made out of razor blades, as opposed to a cohesive shotgun pattern. Might come in handy- if you're fighting crows in an Alfred Hitchcock movie
Old December 15, 2012, 12:16 PM   #10
Lee Lapin

A better approach to brass recycling - reload the 9mm brass, and swage .22 centerfire bullets out of the .22LR brass (http://www.corbins.com/jackets.htm#rfjm). Both of those projects will work out a lot better than shooting that brass out of a shotgun... for the reasons explained by previous posters.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old December 15, 2012, 02:23 PM   #11
PointOneSeven

A couple years back someone loaded dimes I believe on here, and they said the same thing. Flat projectiles don't pattern or penetrate well. Some of the 'SD' loads out there are interesting, with multiple size shot. Just for the 'science' or 'cool factor' I guess.
Old December 15, 2012, 05:17 PM   #12
Creek Henry

If you fill the shell with some buffering medium, usually plastic filler these days, you should be fine... maybe.
Old December 15, 2012, 06:54 PM   #13
jeepstrapped

Not quite the same but similar, I think I remember reading about something similar in the ABCs of Reloading.

If I remember correctly it had to do with cutting squares, and / or, triangles out of thin sheet metal.

I've always been a little intrigued by the idea.
Old December 16, 2012, 01:02 PM   #14
johnwilliamson062

Please pull by string.
300 year old oak tree optional.
Old December 16, 2012, 02:43 PM   #15
Lee Lapin

In the days when fixed choke shotguns were all you could get, there were various options for "spreader" loads or brush loads to be used at close range, to mimic the effect of an open choke on patterns. Various approaches were used - inserting card stock dividers in the shot column for example. I even saw square shot available for reloading, don't know if it was ever commercially loaded or not. I used to slightly flatten round lead shot with a hammer to load my own spreader loads, and that definitely would open a pattern fast.

The last 'spreader' load I saw was one sold as a defensive load (can't recall if it was from Federal or Winchester), and it used a post molded into the center of the plastic wad/shot cup to open up the shot charge faster. A similar approach is used By Polywad today for upland game loads - http://www.polywad.com/spredr.html.

Lightweight, flat projectiles fired out of a shotgun are going to spread really fast, and lose velocity fast as well, and from the standpoints of patterning and penetration, be pretty much useless...

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old December 16, 2012, 04:06 PM   #16
Shotgun693

Billy the Kid really killed a Deputy with a load of silver dimes fried from a SXS shotgun. It was probably less than 7 yards distance. For some reason I never figured out, some guys would pour birdshot out of a shell and replace it with carpet tacks. I never worked a shooting where anyone was shot with carpet tacks but I'm sure it happened. All kinds of junk has been fired out of guns. The idea that some how the projectile might get wedged in the barrel is very improbable. If it's smaller than the bore and moving at 1200 fps it's going to exit.
Old December 16, 2012, 05:51 PM   #17
BlackWorksInc

If you'r gonna try shooting weird projectiles out of a gun, why not use a blunderbuss? After all, wasn't it pretty much loaded with what ever you could fit in it?
Old December 16, 2012, 07:25 PM   #18
CurlyQ.Howard

Here ya go! http://www.veteranarms.com/Reproduct...underbuss.html
Old December 17, 2012, 07:59 PM   #19
Shotgun693

Unless you're trying to convert a bird load to something heavier during an emergency situation, you're much better off just picking up a couple of boxes of buckshot.
Old December 18, 2012, 01:51 AM   #20
johnwilliamson062

I never thought about the flattening shot idea. If I can figure out a way to do it somewhat scientifically and quickly...
Old December 18, 2012, 07:05 AM   #21
darkgael

BB

Quote:
If you'r gonna try shooting weird projectiles out of a gun, why not use a blunderbuss? After all, wasn't it pretty much loaded with what ever you could fit in it?
No. That "load with what ever you could fit" is a myth. It is probably based on the appearance of the wide belled muzzle. It looks big. The actual bore, however, is a standard gauge, 12 for example.
BBs were most commonly used aboard ships and on stagecoaches.
The function of the belled muzzle was to facilitate reloading while on a moving platform. The standard load was shot. The non-standard load was more shot.
I have a 14 gauge BB with a 14" bbl. It is a hoot to shoot.
Pete
Old December 18, 2012, 12:13 PM   #22
BlackWorksInc

Oh, interesting. I've always been told that they used small rocks, tacks, or what not in blunderbusses. Learn something new everyday.