The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2012, 03:00 PM   #1
flintshooter

500 S&W

Just got a 500 S&W, anybody wanna share a favorite load for cast bullets? I plan on using 440gr Rounded / flat nose with gas checks.
Old December 22, 2012, 04:19 PM   #2
solocam72

I had a .500 S&W it had the 8 3/8" bbl, I shot the 500 grain HDY SP bullets in mine with 31 grains of H-110, my gun had issues locking up, It was really unpredictable when it was going to do it, sometimes I could shoot it all I wanted and never have it happen and then I might pick it up and fire it once and it would lock up tighter than a vault! What I mean is the cylinder would lock up and I couldn't roll the hammer back or even open the cylinder, the load I was shooting was the bottom of the recomended starting point, I contacted S&W about it and the tech told me these exact words 'thats an awful big bullet for that gun, I recommend you try a lighter bullet' I scratched my head and thought you gotta be kidding me? The bullet was desighned specificaly for the .500 S&W from hornady. I tried some 325 grain barnes bullets in it and got the same exact results, it didn't matter if it was the bottom end of the load listing or the top end it would lock up. I got rid of it like a bad habit along with everything I had to load for it. After talking to S&W and getting the advice or 'lack of' I got from the tech I spoke with I made up my mind I was done with S&W, Sorry about my rant, I wish you the very best of luck with your new gun!
Old December 23, 2012, 10:38 AM   #3
reloader28

+1 Solocam.
My brothers 500 shoots fine with light loads, but other than that, it is doing the exact same thing. I've read lots of rants from other posters saying the same thing.

I'll never buy another S&W. John Linebaugh is a neighbor and friend of mine. I think if I want a big bore I'll get one from him.
Old December 23, 2012, 11:32 AM   #4
solocam72

Reloader28, I have always been a fan of john linebaugh, would be really neat to meet that guy! I talked to him one time over the phone about building a .500 linebaugh, he seemed like a darn good guy
Old December 24, 2012, 10:31 AM   #5
reloader28

Solo, its fun going to play at Johns house. Hes got some cool toys. The man knows more about loads and pressures than anyone I've ever heard of. Some of his testing is almost unreal.

Flint, I made my brother some 450gr gas checked bullets, but I dont know if he's shot any or not. His gun started started acting up and he kinda lost interest. We did get some 700gr cast bullets once and tried them. WOW, you could feel the ground shake.