The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 6, 2011, 11:05 PM   #1
relic 59 50

remington

guys i do not mean to offend anybody, and let me start off by saying i got an ole 3006 woodmaster made by remington and i love it but, is it me or has remington gotten cheaper? quality wise, ive used plenty of there new 22s, and 3006s 308, etc and they feel cheesy. what happened to the good ol woodmaster?
Old December 6, 2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Jim243

Quote:
what happened to the good ol woodmaster?
Corporate Greed and mass production.

Jim
Old December 6, 2011, 11:14 PM   #3
30-30remchester

WELL YEA!!!! I an not a new Remington fan but they arent the only manufacters that have gone cheap. And it isnt just the gun industry that has seen a quality company with quality products that went like a bird (cheep cheep).
Old December 7, 2011, 01:42 AM   #4
tAKticool

Is wood master like bush master but woods imstrad of bushes ?
Old December 7, 2011, 02:00 AM   #5
mrawesome22

They make high end models and they make budget models. Probably more budget models because that is what people want these days. Hell, half the posts here now start with "what is the cheapest AR I can buy?".

Laws of supply and demand. People are unwilling to save for a nice gun so they buy cheap garbage so the manufacturers have to supply it.

With the price of everything sky rocketing and the average wage decreasing... hopefully we can get that turned around but the only way that is gonna happen is a big revamp of government and the fat cats in there will fight tooth and nail to stop that from happening. All those politicians care about is personal gain. They could not care less about us average citizens. They are clueless to what a normal life is like.
Old December 7, 2011, 07:58 AM   #6
bedlamite

They're not the same since Cerebus Holdings bought them, same as Marlin.
Old December 7, 2011, 08:11 AM   #7
natman

They still make Wingmaster 870s out of polished blue steel and high gloss walnut, just like they always did. It just costs $817 now instead of the $300 it did in 25+ years ago.

The problem is that a lot of people still only want to pay $300. For them, there's the 870 Express.
Old December 7, 2011, 09:44 AM   #8
L_Killkenny

Plus one for Natman. You won't get a Caddy on a Chevy budget. The facts are that many companies have cheapened some of their lines and it is due as much to comsumer demand as anything.

That being said, Remington has made a couple real turds.

LK
Old December 7, 2011, 11:23 AM   #9
SFW

As others have said, more and more consumers what "cheap" prices. In order to meet the pricing expectations of the customer, Remington has made more budget models. They still make the handsome 700 ADL/BDL/CDL models for those who want to have a nice looking rifle. I have a 700 BDL with a synthetic stock (before the SPS models came out) and it is a fine gun. It shoots sub MOA. There is nothing cheap feeling about it.

Then there is the 770. If you buy a 770 looking for the feel and function of the 700, you will be sorely disappointed. It’s not a rifle meant to compete with the 700. However, there are a lot of internet “gun guys” that try to do just that. Then they slam Remington as a company for making “cheap rifles.”

The bottom line is this: If you want a nice rifle, spend the extra money to get one. Don’t think you are going to buy a budget rifle and get top of the line results.
Old December 7, 2011, 11:37 AM   #10
Scorch

Quote:
Corporate Greed and mass production
Greed has little to do with it, it is the consumers that drive the direction og the market, and therefore of the products being offered.
Quote:
many companies have cheapened some of their lines and it is due as much to comsumer demand as anything
Exactly. Consumers need to understand that if they buy the cheapest model available, it is not the same as the top of the line. Go to www.remington.com and look at all the models available. Then go to WalMart or Dicks and see what they have on the racks. Stores that cater to the lowest price buyer will not have the best products in stock.

Solution? Start buying better quality, and the manufacturers will respond by spending a bit more money to make a higher quality product.
Old December 7, 2011, 12:50 PM   #11
natman

Good point about the 770. It IS cheap and Remington should be ashamed. If that's the gun the OP had in mind, try a 700 SPS instead.
Old February 4, 2012, 04:00 PM   #12
dcobler

Wow. And I have been considering buying a 770 in 300 win mag for about a week now. At $300 Im almost willing to try it without expecting the same results as the 700 I dont have anymore. I think I may just wait though. Hmmm. Something tells me there is a reason this guy hasnt sold his gun yet.
Old February 5, 2012, 09:31 AM   #13
natman

Quote:
Wow. And I have been considering buying a 770 in 300 win mag for about a week now. At $300 Im almost willing to try it without expecting the same results as the 700 I dont have anymore. I think I may just wait though. Hmmm. Something tells me there is a reason this guy hasnt sold his gun yet.
If my post stopped you from buying a 770, then I can go to bed tonight and sleep soundly knowing I've done a good deed.

Get a Marlin XL/XS 7, Savage Axis or Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard instead. FAR better guns for similar money.
Old February 5, 2012, 10:40 AM   #14
arch308

I don't care who produces it, a $300 rifle is just that. You can't expect to get quality at that price. Be realistic!
That's like buying a $30 scope and complaining it's not as good as a Leupold.
Old February 5, 2012, 12:34 PM   #15
homesick

I have several Remington rifles however none are the promo types, I also have Rugers and Savage. Most all these companies make a low end rifle even Ruger now. If I were buying on a budget I would look for a good used top of the line rifle rather then buy a new promo model. Thats just me and Iam not judging any one else.
I have not seen the new Ruger but if I were buying a lowend model right now I think Savage has the best value. I have seen some of them shoot at the range and they are impressive.
Old February 6, 2012, 09:35 AM   #16
natman

Quote:
I don't care who produces it, a $300 rifle is just that. You can't expect to get quality at that price. Be realistic!
Actually it's amazing how good a rifle you can get for around $300 these days. The Marlin XS/XL 7 is well made, accurate and amazingly inexpensive. It doesn't have a lot of frills, but it's a lot of rifle for ~$300.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ucts_id/52886a

It's certainly light years better than a Remington 770.
Old February 6, 2012, 11:56 AM   #17
L_Killkenny

Quote:
That's like buying a $30 scope and complaining it's not as good as a Leupold.
The difference between most (i.e. I'm not talking about the POS 710/770) budget rifles and guns costing twice as much is merely cosmetic and fit/finish. There is nothing a Stevens 200 or Marlin XS/XL won't do that a sporter Sako or CZ will. They are just as accurate and just as reliable. In some cases more so. Scopes are a whole different ball game.

LK