The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 14, 2005, 11:03 AM   #1
AngryAzn

New To SG, where to get practice

Hello all,

I am a owner of a Moss 590 Mariner. I am looked for advices on ranges in the NY Tri state area. All of the clubs I have contacted are for shooting clay, as a beginner I prefer to start off with stationary targets.

The SG is intend for HD, any advice is appreciated.
Old September 14, 2005, 11:19 AM   #2
newerguy

South Huntington Town Range on Long Island (you don't need to be a resident to shoot there) used to let you use shot on the rifle range (50 yard);

Nassau County Range (also Long Island) used to allow you to shoot anything but FMJ (shot might beat up their target hangers, not sure).

I don't know if either of these ranges have changed, I haven't been there in years, but all the rifle ranges I have been to let you shoot shot as well.
Old September 14, 2005, 02:07 PM   #3
cdc

Basically the same question except I live in N. California, East Bay Area. All of the local ranges that I know of only allow 50 yard or are shotgun clubs for trap and skeet I think. I prefer stationary targets to get used to the shotgun and patterning with different loads before trying trap. 25 yards or closer is prefered. Any assistance would be of great help!

cdc
Old September 18, 2005, 11:21 PM   #4
cdc

Thanks Erick for the suggestions. I plan to spend time on a daily basis mounting, dissmounting, feeding and dryfiring until the gun is natural to me. I have had the action and trigger worked on and am very happy with both. I will look into Chabot and Richmond. Can I shoot at stationary targets within 25 yards?

Thanks,

cdc
Old September 19, 2005, 10:10 AM   #5
AngryAzn

Thanks for the NY Area feedback, has anyone in the area taken a Defensive SG Course anywhere in the NE that they would recommend? I'd be willing to travel within reason if it is a good course..

The closest I've found is in NH, over 200 miles from me :

www.sigarmsacademy.com