The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 3, 2013, 02:39 PM   #1
deepforks

green mountain 10/22 bull barrel - 16"/18"/20"?

so i'm going to mod the old 10/22. for now it'll just be a full size stock (haven't decided on one yet) and a new bull barrel from green mountain. curious what would be the best length, as far as accuracy goes, using regular plated ammo? i've read on a few other pages that the 20" may not yield the best accuracy.

any thoughts/opinions/suggestion?
Old March 3, 2013, 04:23 PM   #2
bedlamite

A particular barrel might prefer one ammo over the other, but accuracy is not going to be significantly different. Unless you are using open sights where the longer sight radius helps, I'd get a 16" barrel.
Old March 3, 2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Pahoo

16-18-20; You call !!

From what I have read, max velocity is acheived at 20" and the longer you go, the velocity drops off. So, as long as you stay at 20 or below, you should be okay. ...

Reference page 200 of the NRA Firearms Facts book (3rd. addition)

Be Safe !!!
Old March 3, 2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Boomer58cal

I just upgraded to a 17 in. Tactical Solutions fluted bull from a 18.5 in. stock barrel and it is far more accurate with cheap ammo than the stock barrel with match ammo. I get 1in. groups at 100 yds with Remi. Golden bullets. Much over 17 or 18 in. most 22 lr ammo usually loose velocity. Although Green mountain makes a 28 in. "Gun smith" special with cci stinger chambers. Stingers gain velocity all the way to 28 in. I cannot speak to the accuracy or reliability of the green mountain 10/22 barrels I do have several of their muzzleloader barrels and they are amazingly accurate. As for my tactical solutions barrel...I will be putting one on all of my 10/22's mainly because it functions with everything I've shot through it.
Old March 3, 2013, 05:21 PM   #5
deepforks

i should swing by tactical solutions, since they're in my backyard. don't want to spend that much, but maybe there's a direct buy pick it up from the shop discount. i highly doubt it though.
Old March 3, 2013, 05:39 PM   #6
JD0x0

I generally like longer barrels but for 22LR generally they say 16-18'' is the max before you start losing the velocity benefits to barrel friction. For a .22lr i'd say get the 16'' as there are no real benefits from having a longer barrel with this cartridge.
Old March 3, 2013, 07:32 PM   #7
Boomer58cal

Idaho huh. Nice. I've never owned a butler creak or shooters ridge my self but the ones I experienced were picky on ammo. So after the recommendation of a gun smith friend
I went with the tactical solutions barrel. I found a fluted one at a local shop for $200. He had a butler creak for $120. He told me don't buy it unless you shoot exclusively match ammo.
Old March 4, 2013, 07:30 AM   #8
jmr40

I tried one of the Tactical Solutions barrels. The factory barrel was much more accurate. I built another with a Butler Creek barrel that was not a good shooter either, but the Shooters Choice barrel I bought from Cabelas will shoot.

As to barrel length. Get what feels best. You will get some more speed from longer barrels, but not enough to matter. My Tactical Solutions and Shooters choice were 16", the Butler Creek at 18" felt best to me. Just wish it had shot well. I sold off both rifles with the other barrels, but kept this one.
Old March 4, 2013, 01:37 PM   #9
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
For a .22lr i'd say get the 16'' as there are no real benefits from having a longer barrel with this cartridge.
Sound. As in noise. Generally the longer the barrel, the quieter the report.

From time to time I shoot some of the "different/quieter" .22 ammo (22 CB longs, and the like) and with longer barrels it is noticeably quieter than in shorter barrels. I have different .22 pistols and rifles with different barrels lengths and definitely can tell the difference. (This also applies to "regular" .22 ammo.)

That said, it depends on what the end result of the rifle will be; deciding on a barrel length. Are you bench rest shooting, or are you looking for a light and "handy" rifle for hiking through the brush? Are you planning on using any of the "quiet" .22 ammo?

As far as accuracy, I have some 6.88" and 10" .22 barrels that are incredibly accurate; amazing when shot off of a solid rest/bipod.

I think sound and velocity are the biggest differences, when considering different common barrel lengths, accuracy in a well made barrel not so much.

A really good trigger is far more likely to improve one's group size; compared to the barrel lengths, given that each barrel is different regardless of the length.

Now, go figure...
Old March 4, 2013, 04:50 PM   #10
Keepin_Jeepin

Not sure what you are doing with the gun, but I made a bench gun out of one of mine, and its got a stockstocks benchrest stock and a 28" green mountain rifle barrel on it.

Longer barrel provides a quiet report, more constant muzzle velocity, and less recoil. Its a great bench gun, and will never be anything else because its so damn heavy.
Old March 6, 2013, 03:06 PM   #11
m_liebst

[QUOTE]I just upgraded to a 17 in. Tactical Solutions fluted bull from a 18.5 in. stock barrel and it is far more accurate with cheap ammo than the stock barrel with match ammo. I get 1in. groups at 100 yds with Remi. Golden bullets[QUOTE]

Your getting 1 inch groups @ 100 yards with Golden Duds?!!
Is there any other mods in your 1022 that you haven't mentioned.
Sounds a bit farfetched for just a barrel upgrade @ 100 y., but if true, -that 1022 is definitely a keeper.

Mike
Old March 6, 2013, 03:41 PM   #12
zukiphile

Quote:
i've read on a few other pages that the 20" may not yield the best accuracy.

any thoughts/opinions/suggestion?
I had a 24 inch barrel that was sufficiently accurate for my purpose. The benefit I saw was not in accuracy, but that

-all that weight out at the end made it very stable for standing shots, and

-with sub sonic ammunition, it was reasonably quiet.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Boomer58cal

I've also add a sear/hammer kit, adjustable trigger, titanium firing pin, extended mag release, palmer recoiled buffer and tapco T-6 stock. I was shooting from a very sold bench with sand bags. In fact I've shot at least 50 or 60,000 rds through this gun. I shot it until there were no riflings left. I've also been shooting this gun for about 20 years and shot in muzzleloader comp since I was 7. I also have my own range so I'm well practiced.
Old March 6, 2013, 11:14 PM   #14
m_liebst

boomer58cal:-
That's believable, but I'd say atleast 2/3rds of that precision came from the shooter,.... so then good shootin.

Now if it were just the barrel conversion on a literally out of the box 1022,
I don't believe anyone could do an inch at 100y. on even the calmest day with even match ammo... , atleast somewhat consistently.

The other thing is Rem. GB have the widest variation in velocity of many ammo types that i've ran through the chronograph( that aside from the high dud rates). So I could say that there might be a bit of luck going into grouping shots at any distance.

On a different note, It must be great having your own range.
My parents have some property up north where i'm able to shoot a bit.
I need to convince them to let me set out a permanent range though. I just hate paying for range time and being restricted to shooting paper.

Last edited by m_liebst; March 6, 2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old March 6, 2013, 11:20 PM   #15
Boomer58cal

I have a new 10/22 with only a little polish job to the sear and I get about 2-2.5 in. groups with it.
Old March 6, 2013, 11:39 PM   #16
m_liebst

I don't mind my stock barrel at all. Does the job for squirrels and rabbits.
I don't do much shooting beyond 50-75 y., unless I'm plinken at posts or larger objects.
Old March 7, 2013, 12:00 AM   #17
Boomer58cal

The only real reason I bought the bull barrel is because my stock barrel had become a smooth boar. I'm truly thrilled I did though. The pest control I do is thinning the masses of coons that infested my property. Sure is fun to eye/ear shot them at 50+ yards.