The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 13, 2002, 02:10 AM   #1
Preacherman

Anybody used the Kick-Eez recoil pads?

Hi, shootin' buddies. Has anybody used the Kick-Eez recoil pads on their shotguns? I've seen these a couple of times, and they feel pretty "bouncy". A few specific questions:

1. How do they compare to the Pachmayr Decelerators?

2. I hear they can be difficult to "trim to fit", requiring special techniques and/or tools to avoid ruining them by sanding. Is this so? How does one do it?

3. Can they be fitted to wood stocks, or are they primarily designed for synthetic stocks? The one's I've seen have been marked "for Remington synthetic stock only".

4. Does anyone know the Web site of the manufacturer, or another Web site giving more information? How about Web sites selling them - any good prices out there?

5. How about their longevity? Given their "softer" construction, can they "wear out" faster than a more conventional pad?

Any advice will be most welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old December 13, 2002, 05:11 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Never had one, but their praises are sung over on the BB at trapshooters,com. Trap fanatics are the most obsessed of shotgunners with recoil control, and the KickEez gets high marks.Post about this over there and see how much input you get.

1, about the same.

2, Should be mounted by a smith or other experienced person.

3,yes.

4,Try Midway or Gamaliel.

5,some say they do. These folks keep buying them anyway.

HTH...
Old December 13, 2002, 06:19 AM   #3
K80Geoff

I had a Kick Eze on my Remington Peerless. It was the only thing on that gun that worked properly! Gun had a wood stock.

My gunsmith had to fit the pad and add spacers. He did not complain about the pad mounting, in fact he suggested the pad to me. Had to grind the pad and spacers to get a clean line, did a great job.

Have no experience with the pachmayr.
Old December 13, 2002, 09:05 AM   #4
sm

What Dave McC said

Used the Pachmayr Decelerators some -rounded so as to not snag from low mt-as in sporting clays. Gunsmith did a great job [20 ga Citori]

Kick EZ felt a bit more 'spongy' to me, competent smith can do a fine job, not sure if would a problem tho if wanted rounded a bit.

I like a smooth mount to 'slide into pocket'...just me

Preacher, figure Clark down your way, has something that'll work/recommend--maybe try out?

best
edited to add: Just looked , yep still have the decelerator, smooth, doesn't the Kick EZ have horizontal lines for grip, or do I need more coffee?? Told this happens with age *g*
Old December 13, 2002, 09:30 AM   #5
9mmMike

I have Pachmayr Decelerators on all my 870's. I think they are just dandy.
I thought that the Kick EZ had a tendancy towards dry-rot but I may be thinking of another "spongy" recoil pad. The only Kick EZ that I have seen were on used stocks at a gun show and they had not weathered well.
I think that Pachmayr got everything right when they designed the Decelerator.
Mike

Geoff,
Can you hear PA calling you......................? Listen carefully. I'm sure I heard "Buy a big farm in PA, invite your friends to shoot there......."
There it goes again! Did you hear it?
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old December 13, 2002, 10:39 AM   #6
HSMITH

Give the new Limb Savers pad a try too, much like the Kick EZ and all of the Sims Labs products I have tried have been the best.

My next pad will be the Sims pad.

I had a Kick EZ on a trap gun and liked it very much, well worth the money. I did have to take a little wax to it so it was not sticky, but it really tamed some of the mega blaster loads I was making at the time.
Old December 13, 2002, 11:22 AM   #7
Preacherman

Dave, thanks for pointing me to trapshooters.com. I had a look there, searched on "Kick-Eez", and came up with a number of threads, one of which contained the manufacturer's Web site, http://www.kickeez.net/. Very interesting info. there, and I think I'm going to order one of these creatures and see if it can tame some of my hotter loads.

HSmith, thanks for the info. Where can we find more info. on the Limb Saver and Sims Labs products? I haven't encountered either. Do they have a Web site?
Old December 13, 2002, 01:17 PM   #8
Ledbetter

Here's a tip.

Go to a gunsmith who knows what he's doing and have him fit the pad and spacers to you. I did this when I put a Kick-eez on and it made a huge difference in my shooting.

Regards.
Old December 13, 2002, 01:39 PM   #9
Preacherman

Just for feedback - I called Kick-Eez this morning and ordered a pad, and some of their "Slick-Eez" liquid treatment that makes the pad easier to mount without it sticking to one's clothing on the way up. Their staff was VERY friendly, courteous, professional... a pleasure doing business with them. They promised to have the stuff shipped out today.

I'll fit the pad to my HD shotgun, which is due for a stock trim anyway, and will provide some feedback once I've tested it. If it lives up to their claims, it will be something indeed!

Ledbetter, thanks for the advice. I'll work with my local gunsmith, who's pretty good on stock work, and maybe we'll both learn something from this.
Old December 13, 2002, 02:52 PM   #10
Ledbetter

Trimming the stock

The angle of this cut is critical to getting the right pitch, cant, rise, etc., to fit you, your dominant eye, the recoil pad and your gun together as John Moses Browning intended.

Regards.
Old December 13, 2002, 03:44 PM   #11
guy sajer

We install maybe 80-100 Kick Eez pads every year . They are an excellent choice . Our customers always seem well pleased .
Old December 13, 2002, 04:37 PM   #12
HSMITH

Preacherman, here you go http://www.limbsaver.com/firearm/index.htm

I cannot say enough about the Sims products I own, I will NEVER shoot my bow without the limb savers again for example. Top quality stuff.
Old December 13, 2002, 05:49 PM   #13
9mmMike

I just looked at the kickeez web page -
http://www.kickeez.net/product1.htm
- and it does not look like the pad I remember. In fact, it looks alot like the decelerator. I would like to see one in person now. They sound pretty good.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old December 14, 2002, 12:19 PM   #14
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A coupla things about pads in general.....

Softness is one essential for shooting comfort, fit of the pad to the bumps and hollows of the shooter's physique is another. Depending on style and build,some pads and shotguns are more comfortable with a little taken off the toe and/or the inside edge from toe to heel.

Size is another critical factor.The more surface area the better, all else equal. And the more evenly that area touches the shooter, the better.

In the near future, someone is going to make a nice living for themselves by developing a technique for casting a pad from a mold of the shooters body, the way old time saddlemakers custom fit a saddle by having the customer sit in a washtub full of modeling clay while wearing riding togs. Porter's of Tucson was one such.

While this approach would run on the expensive side, those of us who shoot a lot,use heavy loads, or are wary of flinches could really benefit, and probably shoot better while having more fun.

Also, I doubt there's one pad significantly better than the rest among the top end stuff. Decellerators, the other top Pachmayers, the Gooey and Super Gooey, KickEez, all come in close tot eh rest IMO. Better than singling out one, find one with the qualities one's looking for and GET IT AND THE STOCK FITTED TO YOU.

HTH....