The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 8, 2005, 10:47 AM   #1
roy reali

How Much Use?

I just picked up a revolver that I "won" on one of those on-line auctions. It is an Hopkins And Allen Safety Police Revolver in 38 S&W. It is in excellent condition both cosmetically and mechanically. The latch locks solidly. I realize that these are not the most rugged pistols ever made.

I took it to the range yesterday. I ran a couple of dozen rounds through it. I used some factory loads and some very mild hand loads. It shot pretty well.

I wonder how much shooting can this gun withstand. I want to occasionaly shoot a few rounds with it. I will use the mildest loads possble. Will it be able to hold up to that much use?

Last edited by roy reali; November 8, 2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old November 8, 2005, 02:56 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

think so

I am not familiar with this particular model, but occasional firing light loads shouldn't be a problem. Have it checked for headspace or do it yourself if you know how. As long as it isn't more than .008", it should be fine. I would also check it for endshake, it shouldn't be more thasn .002". As long as the two are within range and the timing is ok, then enjoy the revolver. If either is excessive, then either have it worked on or put it up as a collection piece.
Old November 8, 2005, 08:44 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those are pretty good guns and should stand up about as well as most guns of that era. The advertising says the barrel and cylinder are forged. They sold for about half or 60% of the price of an S&W, but S&W had no comparable safety system.

In considering how much to fire it, I would take into consideration that parts are no longer available and that the guns have a fair collector interest.

Jim
Old November 8, 2005, 11:33 PM   #4
mtnboomer

NEVER FIRE ANY OLD GUN WITHOUT HAVING IT CHECKED BY A COMPETENT GUNSMITH! Also many of these older guns were built for blackpowder loads. I don't remember if the .38 S&W was ever loaded with BP, but it was created in that era.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!