The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 20, 2001, 11:55 AM   #1
md2lgyk

I was browsing http://www.cheaperthandirt.com looking for some .22 target ammo. I used to used mostly Federal 711, but I also saw a listing for 711B. It costs about $.20 a box more than the 711. Does anybody know what the difference is??

md2lgyk
Old February 20, 2001, 04:50 PM   #2
Chad Young

Yes, the difference is about $0.20 per box.

Sorry, I couldn't resist it.

I went to http://www.federalcartridge.com/ and did not find anything obvious. You may want to check it out for yourself.
Old February 20, 2001, 05:41 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

I cannot be positive, but whenever Federal adds the 'B' to the ammo descriptor, it usually means it is the same bullet but downloaded slightly so as to be subsonic.
Old February 20, 2001, 07:25 PM   #4
hksigwalther

Mal H has got it. IIRC, when Federal first came out with the Ultra Match it was on the hot side. Some brought up the problems of more recoil and more wear on the Olympic level target guns. So they came out with the downloaded one but kept the more powerful one for less than Olympic level guns like customized/accurized 10/22, etc.
Old February 20, 2001, 07:52 PM   #5
Lavan

I finally shot up the last of my Federal Gold Match that averaged 2-3 duds in each box of 50.
Using in Hi Standard AND K22.
Will never use them again. Had same prob in 1970's with regular hi vel Federal .22

Fool me once....but in my case....twice
Old February 21, 2001, 09:33 AM   #6
Biathlonman

Ok I guess I am qualified to answer this one. I used to be sponsered by Federal and worked a lot with there product at Camp Perry. I have also hung out with the engineer that developed that dimpled primer on the match/ultra match line. As the guys above stated the B is a bit slower, I believe it is avertised at 1050. I used to have great luck with 711 but since Federal was bought by Blount industries I have steered clear. Blount wanted to save some money so they shut down the factory making the target grade and started making it on there own machines. For a while it wasn't any good, and wouldn't even chamber n many high end rifles, ie. Anschutz and Walther. This summer Blount was working to correct the error, whether or not they have I don't know. For most practice work I would stick with CCI standard velocity, it works well and it is much cheaper then the other stuff. For matches I would shoot nothing else but Federal Match!