The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2013, 09:42 PM   #1
capodastro

tula primers

anyone have experience with tula, they are for large pistol mag. (454 casull) and large rifle mag. (45-70 guide gun) they are the only primers I can find available. I usually use cci. are they any good?
Old January 19, 2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Jimro

Tula Large Rifle Magnum primers are tough for me to seat in 30-06 and 6.5x55 swede using a Lee hand prime tool. That is with both winchester and federal brass.

However, they do go bang every time and for the price I think they were well worth it.

Jimro
Old January 19, 2013, 10:19 PM   #3
reynolds357

I have had a person who used to sell them tell me they are the same primers as Wolf. I have no idea if they are or not. My experience with Wolf is that they slightly enlarge the primer pocket and once you use a Wolf you have to continue using Wolf. From what you are describing with the Tula's it sounds like they indeed may be the same primer as Wolf.
Old January 19, 2013, 10:42 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

I have loaded Large and Small pistol Tula primers. The have worked for me. I have not used them all up yet so I have not tried other primers in the same cases yet. I won't be doing that until they are gone. This could take a while since I have several thousand of them to still use.
Old January 20, 2013, 03:42 AM   #5
bubbacrabb

They work well for me, I bought 55,000 of them for 12 dollars a thousand about a year ago. Figured if I didnt like them I'd sell them off. I'm glad I spent the money. I dont see any difference. The do seat a little tight in some brass, but to me all primers seat tight in Winchester, RWS etc but they still work fine, atleast on my dillion press.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:01 AM   #6
capodastro

thanks guys, I will give them a try and maybe like them, the price is right. I'll let you know. they are the only thing out there right now.