The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 25, 2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Hoskins

A Few Gun Problems

Problem 1: Have a NEF 20 ga. Single Shot (break open) that sometimes will not fire a round, but dents the primer...though it is a light strick. I can put the same round in another 20 ga...an older Winchester single shot & it fires the round. Is this a firing pin, spring, or both problem? If so, can it be fixed by an ameture or gunsmith only?

Problem 2: 2 seperate shotguns, both .410 single shots & both will not eject a round when you break open the action. Is this an extractor problem? One of them is an old winchester model 38 & the other is a youth model Rossi.

Any and all help is much appreciated & thanks in advance for all who helps.
Old July 25, 2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Rifleman1776

Problem #1. Problem is: NEF Enuf said. Solution: wrap around a tree.
Problem #2. Just wondering, are they extractor models?
Old July 25, 2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

NEF guns are extremely robust guns.
I would remove the firing pin and check for obvious signs of damage. Make sure the firing pin channel is totally clean and free of burrs. Oil the firing pin upon reinstallation.
Old July 25, 2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Hoskins

Thanks gents...

Rifleman, if by extractor you mean it has an extractor at the bottom of the chamber, basically catches the end of the shotshell casing & pulls it out of the chamber...then yes they are. Please excuse my iggnorance. BTW, aint gonna wrap the NEF around a tree, too much sentimental value. I worked & saved up money for this gun while I was in 7th grade. I took my first squirrel, rabbit, & grouse with it! Though it was a dang funny comment & made me laugh!

Bill DeShivs, thanks for the advice. I haven't done what you said, but know that the firing pin does come all the way out & haven't seen any nicks or burrs on the tip of the firing pin. I will do as you say though. don't be suprised if I aint putting a 911 thread on here because I screwed it up!
Old July 25, 2010, 05:21 PM   #5
rtpzwms

Problem 1 Clean and lube the whole shotgun. I had the same problem with a brand new Remmington SPR100. Ended up needing 3 good cleanings to get all of the cosmoline out of the gun. Until it was ALL gone I would see some dented primers without the round going off.
Old July 25, 2010, 09:18 PM   #6
Goatwhiskers

On the assumption the the 20ga. is the more modern type with a transfer bar under the hammer, most misfires are caused by not firmly pulling the trigger ALL the way to the rear. The good old trigger "squeeze" causes the transfer bar to be out of position and gives the symptom of a light hammer strike. On the other two, could be weakness of the ejector spring, most likely the chamber needs a real thorough cleaning and honing to remove rust and deposits. Goatwhiskers the Elder
Old July 25, 2010, 10:41 PM   #7
Hoskins

Thanks Goatwhiskers..."The Elder" You are correct, the 20 ga is modern & has th transfer bar. I'll test fire it & when it has a misfire, I pull the trigger a bit harder & see if that is the deal.

One detail I left out about one of the .410s. The Winchester .410 crimps the edge of the casing where the extractor/ejector is when you close the action.