The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 2, 2007, 12:27 AM   #1
xjz

mkIII 22/45 reassembly problems

I was reassembling the gun after a quick feild stripping for the 2nd time since I've bought it and everything seeming to go fine. I couldn't get the mainspring housing latch closed (without force) untile I remembered I needed to take the magazine back out. Well it went back together easily after that but when I pulled the bolt back it wouldn't close again by pressing the release and the release was moving freely up and down with no resistance. So I pushed the bolt in a little and it clicked then I could use the slide release to close the bolt. So I tried inserting the magazine and it wouldn't go in. I tried opening up the main spring housing and it wouldn't open because I cant get the hammer to move forward I assume. So I looked in the small gap between the frame and the mainspring housing and I believe the hammer strut is trapped between them keeping the mainspring housing from opening.
So I don't know how it I got the mainspring housing to close easily it the hammer strut didnt go inside the mainspring housing ledge/hole like it is susposed to. Help me, what do I do to get this gun apart if I cant open the mainspring housing?
Old June 2, 2007, 04:32 AM   #2
Hal

Been there - done that (with my .22/45) - fiddle around with shaking it, pulling the trigger and opening the bolt - all at the same time.
I believe the hammer strut isn't between the take down and the frame, it's just not seated into the spring on the takedown.

Aggrevating little critters aren't they?

Even though I can break mine down and put it back again 3 or 4 times in under a min., it took a while to get to that point.
Along the way I discovered that there are a million and 1 ways to put them back together again - - and only one of them is the right way.
Old June 2, 2007, 04:49 AM   #3
Plink

Assuming the MKIII assembles the same as the MKII does, it's actually pretty easy when you get the hang of it. First, the hammer has to be back, to make room for the bolt to slide in. Then the hammer needs to be forward. You can pull the trigger and shake the gun towards the muzzle to bring the hammer forward.

Now lean the gun at about a 45 degree angle with the muzzle pointing up in the air and give it a slight jiggle. This should get the hammer strut to drop free. Now insert the mainspring housing pin and push the mainspring housing towards the grip. When you push the mainspring housing in, you should feel a little spring pressure right before it seats into the frame. If you do, lock it down and you're good to go. If you don't, remove the mainspring housing and repeat the steps setting the hammer forward and installing the mainspring housing.

The secret is in getting a feel for what the hammer strut is doing. It needs to dangle free and engage the mainspring, rather than be forward and get trapped under the mainspring housing.

Hang in there and after a few times, you'll be able to do it in 10 seconds with your eyes closed. I swap uppers at the range constantly. If I can do it, anyone can!
Old June 2, 2007, 09:02 AM   #4
xjz

I messed around with it for 3 hours last night trying to get it back apart so I could try to reassemble the correct way but I just cant seem to get it to even budge. When I doo close the mainspring housing latch it causes causes someting to push against the inside of the plastic frame and keeps the magazine from inserting easily. Thats why I believe the hammer strut is between the mainspring housing and the frame. I'll try messing around with the trigger/bolt/trigger when I get back from breakfast at Dennys. Any other suggestions?
Old June 2, 2007, 02:10 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

You should be able to see if the hammer strut is in position when you begin closing the latch.
Old June 2, 2007, 02:17 PM   #6
kcshooter

Here's how I solved this problem:
I bought a Beretta Neos.

Old June 3, 2007, 01:31 AM   #7
xjz

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...=1#post2379366
Here is what I did to finally get the thing unstuck and reassembled in working order. Thanks for the help Hal.