The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 3, 2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Alabama Shooter

AntiGun Insanity in Denny's

Sometimes even I am speechless:

Quote:
An Illinois police chief has banned his officers from a Belleville Denny’s Restaurant after a manager told five on-duty detectives they had to leave because one of them had a firearm.
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...e-officer.html

Quote:
“(The manager) stated that he had a complaint from another customer about the weapon and she had to take the weapon outside or leave,” he said.

The manager told the detectives that Denny’s only allows officers in uniform to carry weapons. The detectives said that wasn’t going to happen so they got up to leave.

Sax said the restaurant’s general manager eventually came over and said it was fine for the detectives to be in the restaurant.

“At this point the detectives were very embarrassed and felt the situation was entirely too awkward for them to remain and all left the restaurant,” Sax said.
The funny thing is I don't think IL has concealed carry either. I recall a few years ago at a Dennys the Secret Service agents received very poor service there and sued on racial grounds. I wonder now if they just don't like cops?
Old January 3, 2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

Gee, that ain't TX - I was eating with friends at an upscale lunch place and five finely dressed middle-aged women came in. A double take as they all had Glocks on their belts and gold shields. Female detectives out for lunch.
Old January 3, 2013, 07:52 PM   #3
PawPaw

Denny's... Denny's... I don't believe I'd ever had the pleasure of eating at Denny's.

I don't believe I'd patronize an establishment that didn't want my business. There's too many greasy spoons down the road with good food.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 3, 2013, 08:51 PM   #4
5R milspec

Heard this today myself,and couldn't say anything.I'd bet when they are robbed they will think about it again when they don't respond to it,cus I sure wouldn't.If I did I would say can I go in or am I not to because I have a gun.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Merad

A bit of selective quoting, eh, OP?

Quote:
A spokesperson for Denny’s told Fox News told Fox News the restaurant manager made a mistake. They do allow both uniformed and non-uniformed officers to carry weapons in the restaurant.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:58 PM   #6
SPEMack618

And this is why I patronize waffle house for my mid-rats...

Not Georgia either, I went to lunch with a group of buddies who work at a larger gun store at a local diner and they were all openly carrying. Come to find out the mgmt of said local diner likes there presence.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:31 PM   #7
rebs

I always thought the LEO's hung out at donut shops lol
Old January 3, 2013, 09:32 PM   #8
nate45

The strangest part, to me anyway, is that the Denny's employee didn't tell the nervous customer, "I'm sorry, but the police have a right to be here armed." or something to that effect. I'll bet they wish they had now though.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:54 PM   #9
Dr Big Bird PhD

Why should one person be able to say that another person can not eat at a restaurant because they are "uncomfortable".

Wasn't this the exact same rationale that was used to keep black people out of white restaurants? Because of comfort? And its divulged into firearms instead?

Humans don't change, just the details.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 3, 2013, 11:13 PM   #10
ClydeFrog

Guns in the sky....

If I were the armed/soft clothes police detective, I would calmly & politely remind the restaurant employee about the small town police dept officers who were shot in a diner in WA state a few years ago. A deranged gunman walked in & shot the uniformed cops as they ate.
There was a 24hr Whataburger place where I live that offered discounts to sworn LE & armed, uniformed security officers. The young kid on the night shift once told me; "if you have a badge & a gun, you get the discount.".

This Denny's sounds like an isolated incident. I wouldn't go there.

Clyde
ps: The Whataburger restaurant is closed now.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:44 PM   #11
stephen426

True story,

I read this in a gun mag's "stupid criminals" section. This occured in 1988. Three guys went into a restaurant and hold up the place. It turns out they picked the wrong place at the wrong time since there were three FBI agents having lunch there. The agents pursued the robbers and got into a shoot out in the parking lot. One criminal was seriously injured and one FBI agent suffered minor injuries.

Funniest part... It was my (now) father-in-law's restaurant.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:50 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
And this is why I patronize waffle house for my mid-rats
I haven't eaten there in quite some time, but I seem to recall them having a "no guns" policy posted.

Wretched food, anyhow. Once you go vegan, you never go back.
Old January 4, 2013, 12:25 AM   #13
ClydeFrog

off-topic but true....

I agree with TS.
Denny's has rolled downhill in the last few years.
They join Waffle House & Perkins. The quality is way, way off.
IHOP is still okay but I'm sure they'll drop too.

I'd add that stories of dumb stick-up men or armed robberies of cops are common. The worse was a article by Massad Ayoob where he documented a hotel convention room filled with LE officers was stormed by a group of hapless robbers.

Clyde
Old January 4, 2013, 07:14 AM   #14
youngunz4life

sortof reminds you of a "MWG" call police often have to checkout (man with a gun)

someone complained and might not have even realized it was a LEO...the employee made the mistake of awkwardly confronting the police who then left(and apparently called the media?)

either way, employees represent entire establishments andor their companies, but I got to give dennys a pass. the same worker might work at IHop sometimes. so what? if one does want to condemn I guess you coukld also do that to IL as this would never happen in some other areas of the country
Old January 4, 2013, 08:29 AM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Are we really happy if Denny's policy is to allow POLICE to have guns in their restaurants? What about the rest of us?

What is Denny's policy regarding citizen concealed (or open) carry?
Old January 4, 2013, 09:15 AM   #16
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
A bit of selective quoting, eh, OP?
I was trying to follow fair use policy to keep TFL out of trouble. The original posting says that the general manager reversed the decision at the time to no avail.

Corporate hindsight is nearly always 20/20.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:07 AM   #17
SPEMack618

Quote:
I haven't eaten there in quite some time, but I seem to recall them having a "no guns" policy posted.

Wretched food, anyhow. Once you go vegan, you never go back.
Huh, me and the guys ate there before heading out to the swamp just the other day and didn't notice anything. And I was carrying, too.

Oops.

vegan? Is that the same as being a commie?
Old January 4, 2013, 11:54 AM   #18
Texshooter

I don't like the fact that one individual could influence an eatery Mgr to have this done.

I don't like LEOs treated this way.

BUT, I also don't like a place that says it is OK for Gov't employees to have weapons when honest American citizens can not.
Old January 4, 2013, 12:31 PM   #19
johnbt

"Denny's has rolled downhill in the last few years."

Farther down than 1994 when they paid $54 million to settle more than 4300 claims of discrimination by African-American customers?
Old January 4, 2013, 03:54 PM   #20
Ben Towe

Quote:
Almost. I'll have an extra hamburger at supper for you, Tom.

Joking aside, sounds like it was merely an idiotic employee, rather than any kind of policy. I'm betting said employee received the good ol' pink slip shortly thereafter.
Old January 4, 2013, 09:19 PM   #21
Crankgrinder

i dont know about elsewhere but where i live dennys is known for bad food and very cracked out looking waitresses and i cant stand to eat there.
Old January 4, 2013, 09:53 PM   #22
sigcurious

I don't think Denny's corporate is antigun, considering this commercial.
Old January 4, 2013, 10:30 PM   #23
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Hey, I had you guys going for a while, there.
Old January 4, 2013, 10:32 PM   #24
egor20

UPDATE:

BELLEVILLE, Ill., Jan. 4 (UPI) -- Belleville, Ill., Police Chief William Clay has rescinded an order that officers not to eat at a restaurant where a detective was asked to take her gun outside.

Five on-duty detectives were eating at the restaurant New Year's Day when the manager told them a patron had raised a concern about a guest with a firearm. The detectives were in plainclothes -- three had badges clipped on their belts next to their firearms and the others had badges hanging from a chain around their necks, The Belleville News-Democrat said Wednesday.

The manager told a detective the restaurant had a policy that only uniformed officers could carry firearms inside and asked her to remove her gun or leave the premises. The detectives left the restaurant.

Clay had initially maintained the ban would stand, even after a Denny's Corp. spokesman told the newspaper the manager had been mistaken and company policy permits law enforcement officials to carry their weapons inside.

He banned on-duty police officers from patronizing the restaurant and order uniformed officers to avoid it Denny's while off-duty.

"This was an insult, a slap in the face, to those detectives and to all of the men and women who proudly wear the uniform or badge and serve in law enforcement," Clay said.

Police Capt. Donald Sax said Clay rescinded the order after Denny's national director for company operations, Van Catchings, apologized for the incident, The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Friday, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Friday.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/...#ixzz2H4I6W3Vr

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 4, 2013, 11:39 PM   #25
Gary L. Griffiths

Snorg

And yet, in another state, Denny's is fending off complaints because they hired a security guard with an AR-15!

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/in..._river_default
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)