The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 2008, 07:44 PM   #1
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

How do you select a projectile?

G'day. I've recently asked a similar question but that was about the rifle. What I actually wanted to know was, how do you select your projectiles?
What are the step involved?
Old December 6, 2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Smaug

Don't make it too complicated

Light, hollow-point bullets are generally for varmints or targets.

Heavier, bullets with lead points are generally for larger game.

There are some heavier bullets now with polymer points that expand like hollow points but have better aerodynamics.

I like hard cast bullets whenever possible for my handguns, but stick with jacketed bullets for rifles and for hunting.

I like Hornady and Sierra bullets. Remington & Winchester's bullets don't seem as uniform or smooth.

The above info is very general. For instance, a 240 gr. Hornady XTP hollow point is considered a good deer round, even though it is a hollow point. But use a 6mm 55 gr. hollow point on a deer and you're probably just going to injure him and have him run off on you.

Lastly, the manufacturer's information on bullet uses are good.

I think I'm going to stick with Hornady for a while for "serious" bullets and meisterbullets.com hardcast bullets for range use. Lots of the most accurate loads I've read about were with Hornady bullets, and Hornady factory ammo seems to take top honors a lot too. The price is reasonable. (unlike Nosler or Swift, for instance)

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer