The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 19, 2006, 05:21 PM   #1
matthew temkin

Remington Ammo Misfire

I was deer hunting yesterday and my buddy pushed a nice buck my way.
He stopped at thirty feet away and I got him in the scope and pulled the trigger.
Nothing happened.
Thinking that maybe I forgot to push my Winchester Model 70's safety off I did so again and re shot.
Still nothing and nedless to say the deer bounded off.
Later on during a lunch break I checked the ammo in the rifle and noticed the round had a nice firing pin dent in it's primer. I also noticed that the actual bullet was miscolered near the casehead.
The round was a Remington .308 150 grain Cor Lockt.
Quite frankly in 34 years of hunting and extensive shooting I have never before had a factory round misfire.
Has anyone eles had a similar experience?
Old November 19, 2006, 05:26 PM   #2
Mannlicher

I have heard of that, but never experienced it. I have shot a ton of Core-Lokt ammo in the past 50 years, and have never experienced a problem.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 19, 2006, 06:39 PM   #3
Ranger Al

I would send the ammo back to Remington and tell them what happened. You'll need the empty box of ammo along with the ammo. They'll need to check their lot # to see if their machine fail at the time of production.

I had a weak round going threw my GLOCK and didn't notice it and fired another round behide it. The weak round still had the bullet in the barrel and made a mess out of the GLOCK! I send both the gun cause it still have their empty casing in it and the left over shell to the manufacture. They claimed their bullet are perfect and must have used a different calibert (9mm into a 40 Cal). I then told them that I've been around guns all my life and have never have such happen to me before. I told the ammo rep. that he sound like a very nice guy and I would love to meet him at my local county court house. I never did get to meet the ammo rep, but did get a cases of ammo plus a brand new GLOCK to replaced the damage gun.

I guessed sometime you have to use your threat and right as costumer to get them to hold up to their responsibilities..

If I was you, I would just use another load and consider that your keep sake. Who know, you might see a bigger deer the next time. Personally, I use only Hornidy 139 for my 7mm Rem Mag. fire every time. They tend to be on the expensive side and don't mass produce as of Winchester or Remingtons.
Old November 20, 2006, 12:43 AM   #4
moose fat

In October I was out for a last boat ride before the river freezes over. I had my Win.P17 loaded with 220gr Federals, 30-06, and had a miss-fire/FTF. It was kind of cool out, high 20's, a little too cool for the gun oil, and maybe a little too much oil, I was using. The primer had a nice fireing pin strike but just not enough because of the viscus oil. Just a thought.
Old November 20, 2006, 12:54 AM   #5
rem33

Never owned a 70 but my 700 will release the hammer and not strike the firing pin if the bolt is lifted the slightest amount. At least that is what I believes happens with the bolt lifted slightly as it will sound as if firing on a empty chamber and not strike the bullet.
I discovered this a once shooting at a antelope. Pulled the trigger, gun goes "click" and nothing. Immediately ran the bolt ejecting a bullet onto the ground and then shot the antelope. Only later after examining the bullet, and experimenting a little with the rifle did I discover what had happened.
Perhaps a Winchester 70 is the same idea and the primer was not hit hard enough.

Edit, I did have a 70 (borrowed) not fire a new bullet once shooting at a deer. Lost the deer and to this day I assume it was a bad bullet. It has been to long ago to remember the manufatcures name, but the bullet had been hit hard enough it should have fired.