The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2015, 06:51 PM   #1
Wendyj

Hornady one shot lube spray

Before I bought all the Lee stuff for the progressive press I watched a lot of you tube videos concerning this lube. It's all I've used so far but my kit came with a tube of Lee lube. Tried it on one case earlier and it's almost like wax paste in a few seconds. The one shot feels more like a grease. I know these dies will have to be cleaned eventually and wonder which lube will give me the best performance and cleaner dies. Hornady is much easier on the press. I'm too new to know.
Old April 6, 2015, 07:50 PM   #2
9MMand223only

Hornady one shot is simply one of the best money can buy.

I use it on my press, guns, and everything where metal is on metal
Old April 6, 2015, 07:55 PM   #3
JeepHammer

One Shot works pretty well on my smaller cases,
I personally don't care for it in larger cases with a lot more surface area and thicker case walls to fully resize.

RCBS makes a pump spray that works pretty well called 'Case Slick'.

I use One Shot in the neck sizer, but with .308 or .30-06 full length sizing it doesn't work real well for me.

I do progressive reloading most times,
But when I'm just doing a few I still use the lube pad and good old RCBS Case Lube in the little squeeze bottle.
Old April 6, 2015, 10:10 PM   #4
Metal god

^^^^ I agree ^^^^

One shot works well on 223 but on my 308 cases not so much . I feel it takes to much to work in any application . I don't really know the total amount of cases I can size with one can but I'd say 700 to 1000 cases . I can get 4x that amount with one small tub of Unique sizing wax for half the cost .

I only use a single stage press so lubing one case at a time is not an issue . I have not used any other spray lubes and would like to try others . I do like the ease of loading up a tray of fifty 223 cases and just spraying all at once . Much easier then applying wax to each case by hand .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 6, 2015, 10:26 PM   #5
Mike38

Interesting. I switched to One Shot about a year ago and found it to work great on .223 but not so much on 7mm Mag. Thought it was me, but I see I’m not the only one. I might have to try that Case Slick.
Old April 7, 2015, 03:45 AM   #6
1100 tac

Not my personal experience, but from reading around on the errornet for a few years now, more cases have been stuck in dies with One Shot than any other "store bought" lube out there. I decided not to chance it.
Old April 7, 2015, 06:03 AM   #7
10-96

http://www.dillonprecision.com/conte..._8_oz__Bottle_

I've been using this for the past... gosh, I dunno, 8-10 years. I first tried the Lee paste wax stuff and was completely horrified. Then I tried the RCBS- and it was OK, but it separated very badly and left a thick goo in the bottom of the bottle that just wouldn't mix back it after a while.

With the Dillon, I can use it immediately after squirting, or I let them sit a while. I don't know why my dies aren't dirtier than they are- it seems they ought to have some sort of noticeable buildup in there- but they really don't. I'm not saying my patches and Q-Tips come out sparkly clean, but they're cleaner than I'd expect. I think the main trick is to keep the lube pad clean I guess. I take 5 cases at a time, lay them on the pad, give them a squirt and roll them back and forth with my palm a couple times. After 15-20 cases- I guess it's ok if I don't get a good coating with the spray as the residual left on the pad puts an even coat on.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 7, 2015, 10:38 AM   #8
WVMountaineer

Same as most. it works great on the smaller cartridges. I use it on the 223 and for full length sizing 35 Remington cases.

I use mostly Lee lube or the Hornady Unique lube on the big bottle neck cases like the '06 and such. I find the Hornady good but, find the Lee lube superior. It really is good stuff. It isn't nearly as hard on die's as any other paste lube by the time you thin it a bit. God Bless
Old April 7, 2015, 10:48 AM   #9
mehavey

Quote:
...tried the RCBS, and it was OK, but it separated very
badly and left a thick goo in the bottom of the bottle
What [type] RCBS lube was that?

The RCBS Case lube I've been using since forever-and-a-day is clear and a very
uniform viscous fluid... nothing to seprate or settle at all. (In fact my current
bottle of the stuff is at least 12-13 years old and still as good as when bought.)

???
Old April 7, 2015, 11:14 AM   #10
wogpotter

Question.
WHICH One Shot Lube? (Yes there are 2 different ones)!

The gas aerosol powered one in the reddish can is good stuff as long as you follow the instructions.

The "eco-friendly" rubbish in green & white the pump spray is about as much use as a tube of epoxy for case lube.

I used it for .308 & even Hornady couldn't get the case back out of the die with some "Industrial grade hydraulic extractor".

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old April 7, 2015, 11:19 AM   #11
Dufus

I go along with mehavey. I started handloading back in late 1962 and have never used anything but RCBS case lube. I can happily say that I have never had a case stuck in a die over all those years. It works for me and I ain't switching to anything else. I load a lot of calibers and some big ones at that, it just keeps on working.
Old April 7, 2015, 11:22 AM   #12
skizzums

never had a stuck case until I bought my first bottle of one-shot, then had several more.....this was .223. switched to Lyman case lube and have never had another. one-shot in the trash. just my experience, others may differ.

wendy, don't be offended, are you actually a real female???? if so, you may be the first girl I have ever seen on the reloading forum. that's pretty cool, well, if it's true

the lee paste works well, but too time consuming. take the spray lube of your choice, mine is lyman after trying ALL the others, and toss in a colander with a light coating. put a super quick squirt into the body of the die, wait a few minutes for the lube to "dry" kind of, and then get to work. watch for dimples in the bottle-necks, if you get these dents/dimples you have used to much lube. although I haven't noticed them affecting the performance of the cartridge

good luck

Last edited by skizzums; April 7, 2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old April 7, 2015, 11:28 AM   #13
jmr40

I've read mixed reviews online. I bought some and it has worked well for me with 308, 30-06 and 300 WSM. I've never had an issue, but I did read the directions.
Old April 7, 2015, 11:53 AM   #14
chris in va

I started with One Shot but switched to Unique after a couple cases got stuck. No problems since.

Coming from a kayaking background and having used silicone grease on my drytop gaskets, I think Unique is very similar.
Old April 7, 2015, 12:12 PM   #15
Jeff1965KS

If you use the one shot lube letting it dry thoroughly is key.
Old April 7, 2015, 04:27 PM   #16
math teacher

Even dry it did not work well for me with magnum rifle cases. I went back to Unique and Imperial.
Old April 7, 2015, 05:19 PM   #17
Saint Dennis

I really like the red One Shot. All except the cost. But that being said, My experience is You need to clean the old lube out of the die before you use it. That was the cause of my stuck case. On a new die or one that you clean, it works real well for me. Including .300 WM, 7mm Rem Mag, and even an 8mm Gibb Wildcat during case formation.
Old April 7, 2015, 07:30 PM   #18
Wendyj

Skizzums. Yes I'm a woman reloader. Husband likes me to shoot with him and he's been helping me get equipment to reduce recoil and help with my accuracy. We plan on a hunt this fall and I'm trying to get all the practice in I can. Factory ammo is way too high. He's as new to reloading as me so we have a lot of dual questions. I just do most of the typing since he works so much. We've been sitting here tonight getting frustrated with our Hornady brass he had fired out of his old 308. It's holding together good but priming it is a pain. Too stiff for hand primer in most cases and turning sideways and flaking brass on the press. The nosler factory we shot last week is priming like a dream. Cci or winchester. We've been cleaning primer pockets after tumbling and trimming but 2 out of 4 don't prime well or they don't look centered. So far the Nosler brass isn't doing any of that. We've even tumbled some again after resizing to help clean primer pockets but same result. Going to have to buy brass soon as the Hornady is what we had the most of. Looks like on the Internet brass is high and our range doesn't allow pickup of anyone else's. They sell it but we do keep our own.
Old April 7, 2015, 08:11 PM   #19
BOOMST1CK

It seems I can let the one shot dry on .223 cases, but my 30-06 and .308 brass has to be run thru the press soaking wet with lube.
Old April 7, 2015, 08:12 PM   #20
WVMountaineer

I'm just trying to clarify this. When you say cleaning primer pockets are you actually using a primer pocket cleaner or are you just liquid tumbling them?

If you aren't tumbling the brass in a liquid tumbler, they need to be ream cleaned with the appropriate primer pocket cleaner. If not, the primer can be very hard to seat. Especially with a hand primer.

Wendy, there is some very affordable once fired brass out there. 308 is likely higher and harder to find though. Either way, if you go this route, just be sure to run them through a full length sizer before you try to load them the first time. After the initial sizing, you can choose to neck size only the brass that was fired in a particular gun. Or, you can full length size them every time.

Just trying to be helpful. God Bless.
Old April 8, 2015, 01:43 AM   #21
10-96

Mehavey wrote:
Quote:
What [type] RCBS lube was that?
Beats me- it was a clear 4oz pump spray bottle with the RCBS lable on it. It really did separate like the old CLP we used in the Army. I don't even remember where I bought it, ubt judging from the era, it had to be Midway or a gunshow as those were the only places I bought reloading stuff in the late 90's.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 8, 2015, 02:35 AM   #22
bedlamite

I've only had 2 stuck cases in the years I've been reloading. Both were with Hornady One Shot. After the second, I took the can to the range and hit it with one shot. Went back to Imperial size wax, and haven't had a single problem.
Old April 8, 2015, 06:35 AM   #23
Wendyj

Mountaineer. I'm not tumbling. Vibrating with media. But I'm using the Lee primer tool on them. This will be the second loading of this's brass after bought as factory. So far I'm fls everything.
Old April 8, 2015, 02:01 PM   #24
Gravedigger56

Quote:
Went back to Imperial size wax, and haven't had a single problem
I've heard nothing buy rave reviews on the Imperial wax and have yet to hear any negatives. That is why I decided to pick up a tin and try it instead of the One-Shot I recently purchased. I saw a YouTube video where he put a small amount on his fingers and simply rolled the cases on a lube pad to lube them, then a quick light dip with the case mouth into the tin and they were ready to go. Looked quick and simple.
Old April 8, 2015, 08:33 PM   #25
osprey176

Wendy,I've been using Imperial for about thirty years,and don't plan on using anything else. I have tried some others,but nothing compares,in my experience.