The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 13, 2006, 09:37 PM   #1
FRANK1669

remington model 16 "22 remington auto"

has any one tried to rechamber one of these to 22 LR have you had any succsess? does anyone have the case measurments for a Remington 22 auto cartidge so I can compare it to a .22 lr thanks in advance for any help ( this gun belongs to a friend of mine and he wants to be able to shoot his great grandfathers rifle the sentamintal value to him is far more important than any collectors value).
Old November 13, 2006, 11:57 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The .22 Remington Auto has a larger case diameter than the .22 LR (.245" vs .225"), so you can't rechamber the old gun for .22 LR.

I am afraid your friend has a wall hanger, unless he can find a few rounds of ammo at collector's prices. Old Western Scrounger, often a source for older ammo, has the .22 Winchester Auto, but not the Remington.

FWIW, the reason both Remington and Winchester brought out special cartridges with their semi-auto rifles was that at the time, .22 LR manufacture was not well standardized and many ammo makers did not have good quality control. So the only way the arms companies could be sure of providing the quality ammo necessary for their new rifles was to make it themselves. The .22 Winchester Auto is the comparable, but not interchangeable, cartridge for their Model 1903.

Jim
Old November 14, 2006, 12:47 AM   #3
FRANK1669

thanks for the info Jim in my research I found out another part of the special ammo was the Black powder cartridges were still around and the outside lube played heck with the autos But I couldn.t find any size specs - real shame though its a beautiful rifle that looks like it would be fun and accurate thanks again