The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2012, 11:12 AM   #1
tpcollins

Any difference in Winchester versus Remington brass?

I was going to order some dies, brass, and bullets to load .223 Remington. I've always used Remington brass but those are on backorder for the moment however they have Winchester available. I'll be shooting coyotes out of an AR15 - any difference between these two brass companies? Thanks.
Old June 17, 2012, 11:25 AM   #2
jmortimer

From what I have read, Winchester brass is better quality. Starline is good choice.
Old June 17, 2012, 11:27 AM   #3
math teacher

There may be a slight difference in wall thickness which would result in a slight difference in case capacity. Unless your load is near max, you probably won't notice the difference.

In answer to your second question, it has been proven that a shot from the grassy knoll would have killed Jackie also.
Old June 19, 2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Marco Califo

They are all pretty close

Compared to other cartrides, 223 are very consistent between brands, and also, Mil-spec. The differences are so small, I sort for primer crimp, rather than brand. I use the same loads in all 223 cases.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...7&d=1339727055

Last edited by Marco Califo; June 20, 2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old June 20, 2012, 07:40 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

What Math Teacher said. I used all brands of 30-06 brass but kept Winchester for max and max-max loads as the case capacity was greater than others. Military is thicker and has smaller capacity but it's reloading life is almost forever.
Old June 20, 2012, 09:38 AM   #6
wncchester

It get's amusing to read some web experts loudly proclaiming "Win/Fed/Rem/etc" cases as "great" or "junk" as if every production lot ever made by them will be identical for yesterday, today and forever more. Yeah, there are modest differences in brass alloy and, sometimes, in forming and thickness but none of it's consistant in detail and whether or not the average differences are good or not for each of us will vary by how it's used ... or misused.

If you can't buy the brand you want, buy the brand you can get and go shootin'!
Old June 20, 2012, 08:55 PM   #7
abber

Quote:
Starline is good choice.
I don't believe Starline to be an option for .223 brass.
Old June 20, 2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Marco Califo

Win and Rem - What Year?

Another advantage of LC (that is the headstamp of the Lake City, Independence, MO 64056‎ US Army ammunition manufacturing facility) is that the head stamp also includes the year of manufacture: LC 08 was made in 2008. This is an advantage because if you sort by year you are more likely to find very consistent properties, like exact same alloy, same manufacturing process, etc. That can give you more consistency than you can get with commercial brass, from one case to the next, that may have been made this year, or in 1968, you will never know. When you buy mil-surplus brass it usually comes in a narrow year range. I bought a thousand LC from GIBrass.com about 5 years ago, that includes 98, 99, 00 and a few strays.
Old June 21, 2012, 01:06 AM   #9
mohr308

Im getting ready to order some LC brass from this guy…
http://store.brassmanbrass.com/servl...sed/Categories
Old June 21, 2012, 07:25 AM   #10
wingman

I don't care for Remington brass,winchester ok,lake city brass is excellent for my AR several reloads,but for consistent accuracy from my bolt gun I use Laupa.

For your question I would always chose winchester over Remington brass.
Old June 21, 2012, 08:43 AM   #11
wncchester

"LC ... includes the year of manufacture... This is an advantage because...you are more likely to find very consistent properties, like exact same alloy, same manufacturing process, etc."

That sounds good and might be true IF the makers restricted any changes in stamping dies and alloy suppliers only on Jan 1. But I doubt that's the way it's done.
Old June 25, 2012, 06:42 AM   #12
tpcollins

I've only used Remington brass for .204 and .243 so far. I just prepped 100 pcs of Winchester brass for .223 last night. When using the debur tool on the inside of the flash hole, I felt a slight "tug" on one case. In using the primer pocket reamer, I never felt it reaming the bottom of the pockets. I remember removing alot of brass at the bottom of the Remington brass.

So the Winchester brass seemed alot easier to prep - at least to me. And the full "WINCHESTER" stamped on the head looks kinda neat as well. I'll reload various loads towards the end of this week and then head for the range . . .
Old June 25, 2012, 07:50 AM   #13
243winxb

No difference between Rem & Win brass in 243 win. Before using the tool, FL size & trim to length before flash hole reaming when using the Lyman tool. http://photobucket.com/firearmsreloading

Last edited by 243winxb; June 25, 2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: add link
Old June 25, 2012, 09:03 AM   #14
jmortimer

As noted above, there is no Starline for many of the common rifle calibers including .223, which is too bad as they make some good brass at a fair price. It appears they are not into bottle-neck cases so much.
Old June 25, 2012, 09:05 AM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Any difference in Winchester versus Remington brass?
For 223. I've allways preferred Federal over the other two myself. With Winchester a close second. So to answer the OPs question more precisely. Is there a difference in their dimensions or materials. I'm not qualified to say. I suggested my preference. Sorry, that's about all I can do tpcollins.

What direction did that last shot at Kennedy come from? Maybe you tpcollins have the answer. I suspect it may have came from behind the grassy knoll myself.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; June 27, 2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: tweaking abit on tpcollins Kennedy's question.