The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Eazmo

old newbie just checking in

Hey guys,
I have been lurking around in the back ground for a bit and wanted to say hello to all.
seems like a bunch of good people with allot of good know how.

I have been reloading shot shell for quite some time and recently acquired a lee turret press and new speer manual and case vibrator/cleaner from a buddy and I'm gunna give this a go.
just ordered 6000 primers and have a good supply of Unique to get started. have saved brass from years of shooting.
I have always stuck to recipes and triple check powder loads but will take this slow and easy to be safe.
I am interested in a powder measure to use with the powder thru Lee dies. not sure if the auto disk is the best or the only option. i'll keep lurking on that one.

I plan to load .38, 357,9mm,45acp and maybe some .223 but will save larger rifle cal's for factory ammo used for hunting only
Old April 15, 2011, 10:14 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

Well make sure you have a good scale, and dial caliper. Also a Lee Trimmer with the cutter, lock stud, and case length guage. Well under $20 new price. For trimming the .223 brass. Also some powder for .223 would be advisable. Hodgdaon H-335, and Varget work well, as does Alliant's Reloader 15.
Old April 15, 2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Lost Sheep

Welcome to the forum and thanks for asing our advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazmo
I am interested in a powder measure to use with the powder thru Lee dies. not sure if the auto disk is the best or the only option. i'll keep lurking on that one.
You have four choices.

Lee's Pro Auto-Disk
Lee's Auto-Disk (standard)
Measure off of the press and drop the powder through the die manually (the die has a bushing whose inner diameter precisely matches Lee's $4 powder
funnel
Rig up something yourself. (Probably not worth the trouble.)

By the way, the Auto-Disk (standard or pro) work great in my opinion.

Lost Sheep
Old April 15, 2011, 11:35 PM   #4
Jim243

I go along with Lost Sheep, both work well, if you plan on loading a lot of 223 then go with the Pro Auto-Disk and a double disk set since you will need the additional equipment for rifle. Rifle die sets do not come with a powder through die so you will need a universal rifle powder through die as well, these are one time purchases, I've had mine for over 6 years now and still use them monthly if not every other week. I spend too much time on case prep, got to get a power trimmer.

Jim
Old April 16, 2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Shoney

Eazmo

WELCOME TO TFL!

There is a STICKY at the top of the reloading page
"For the New Reloader: Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST"

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 16, 2011, 03:03 PM   #6
Eazmo

Thanks guys,

Yes i have two scales, calipers, case length trimmers, have read the sticky and watched many videos on-line. I'm sure all that just makes me dangerous

I do have a question about Pistol case trimming. Is this step necessary every time. sounds like a lot of guys just tumble, decap/size and on with the reloading process.
Do straight wall cases with standard loads stretch out in length and need be trimmed?

I understand how a necked rifle case is a different story.

ordered pro auto disk and riser tube. don't think I'll have any problems as i understand volume and weight. I'm used to an adjustable measure on my progressive MEC for shot shell

any way thanks again for the input.
Old April 16, 2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Jim243

I will get in trouble with the union, but I do not trim pistol cases (rifle yes). Only time it is needed is if you load 357 or 44 mag and crimp. Trimming helps keep the crimp even all around. Not sure on 45 LC I do not load for them.

Jim
Old April 16, 2011, 05:56 PM   #8
TheNatureBoy

Welcome aboard Eazmo : )
Old April 16, 2011, 06:39 PM   #9
603Country

eazmo,

For years I didn't trim 357 Mag cases, but finally had to start when a few of them got too long and hampered chambering. I've never had any problem with not trimming 38 Special cases, but then again...I shoot em in my 357. I'd recommend that you have the capability to measure cases and trim when and if necessary.
Old April 17, 2011, 12:56 AM   #10
Eazmo

yea i do have case gauge and cutter but that gets tedious with pistol cases.
Old April 17, 2011, 02:34 AM   #11
FrankenMauser

You should be fine, just checking periodically for over-length cases in .38 Special and .357 Mag. If they're over, trim 0.010" short of max length. If they aren't under max length, let 'em grow!

With the 9mm and .45 Auto, if you actually track the lengths, you'll probably find that they actually shrink, over time. Unless you're loading something where a precise crimp is absolutely critical, 9mm and .45 Auto case length is generally not an issue.