The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 24, 2013, 10:28 AM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Hold the gun in the hand (or hands if you prefer) and rest the wrist(s) on the sandbag.

Great tip and I thank you !! ....
This is the way I do it, and it works the same in the field when you use a tree, log, sticks or any other improvised rest. The rest (sandbags) supports ME, not the gun, I hold the gun.

I will caution you, however, when firing a hard kicking pistol, ensure the bags are a little ways up your forearms, NOT directly under your wrists! I got a very painful minor injury when the factory grip of a S&W M629 pinched my hand between its bottom corner and the bag. My fault entirely, for not respecting the big cartridge in a gun with cheesegrater grips!
Old December 29, 2013, 04:53 PM   #27
bikerbill

My range doesn't allow them for some reason; never bothered to ask ... they do provide a chunk of 4x4 wrapped in carpet, I suppose to beat yourself in the head after you try using it as a rest ...
Old December 30, 2013, 11:20 AM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

I wonder how a range could justify not allowing sandbags.

My local range does not provide them, but they don't care if you bring and use your own.
Old December 30, 2013, 11:47 AM   #29
Pahoo

Indoor or Outdoor ??

Quote:
My range doesn't allow them for some reason; never bothered to ask ...
Is your range and indoor range? We have an indoor that does not allow, as well .....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 30, 2013, 01:06 PM   #30
RBid

I don't use rests or sandbags for handgun shooting. When I get a new pistol, I know within 100 rounds whether the sights are on. I know my tendencies (I creep to 3 o clock at distance, and average about 1 out of 12-15 rounds low left), so seeing similar patterns show up over 100 tells me the weapon is hitting where I point it. Similarly, I know how it feels (trigger press and calling shots) when I'm on.

This was standing, unsupported at 50 feet. I was shooting 5 shot strings, two strings per target. The '2' hits were the second string on this sheet. The '1' string wasn't quite as good-- I was experimenting with support thumb pressure, and shoved the muzzle low/right four out of five.

Old December 31, 2013, 01:25 AM   #31
JohnKSa
Staff

I have shot handguns off a rest twice that I can recall. Once was helping a guy zero the scope on his 500 S&W revolver. The other time was shooting a Glock 17 pistol because I was interested to see how accurately I could shoot it from a rest. Best I could manage was a 2" five shot group at 25 yards.

I would shoot handguns from a rest more often if ammunition weren't so expensive, if I had more time at the range, and if I had a setup for shooting handguns from a rest that was convenient. As it is, I hate to waste range time/ammunition on something that doesn't really count as practice time or skill-building.
Old December 31, 2013, 03:34 AM   #32
SHE3PDOG

I've never used rests, but I'm also not the greatest shot around or a hand loader. Maybe there is a correlation there.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old January 1, 2014, 02:14 PM   #33
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
As it is, I hate to waste range time/ammunition on something that doesn't really count as practice time or skill-building.
Well, that's one way to look at it. But I would say that no time shooting is ever wasted, just as no round that hits what you aimed at is ever wasted.

Some kinds of practice may not be as beneficial as others, for a given end, but to me, there is always some benefit from shooting, even if its only to show you how much you need to practice..

I often shoot my handguns off the bench, its a good comparison to how well I can do with exactly the same gun and ammo, offhand.

I find it interesting that in this thread, about half the folks say they don't ever shoot from a rest. One doesn't seem to hear that in rifle forums, which is rather curious, considering rifles are much easier to hang on to, and with a good sling (or even without) you can lock yourself into some pretty stable shooting positions. Yet, everyone seems to say "shoot from a rest" if at all possible.

No, shooting from a rest won't help you a lot with the skills for draw and fire rapidly and accurately at belly gun distances. But there is more in my shooting world than just that.

Any shooting is practice. Whether or not it is good practice depends on your aim. (double entendre fully intended)
Old January 1, 2014, 10:10 PM   #34
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
But I would say that no time shooting is ever wasted...
While I'm at the range, I spend my time and ammunition doing things that I really enjoy, or that contribute to building the type of skills I want to achieve or things .

Since I don't have any applications that call for building skill in shooting handguns from a rest, I can't justify shooting handguns from a rest as practice or skill-building. And since I don't enjoy it, I can't justify it as recreation.

I don't look down on those who enjoy it or find it to be useful for their purposes, nor would I suggest that they need to change what they're doing, it just doesn't do anything for me.
Old January 2, 2014, 06:44 AM   #35
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
And since I don't enjoy it, I can't justify it as recreation.
Ok, that's understandable, and makes perfect sense.

I'm in a different place. ALL my shooting is recreational. I don't usually do speed drills, or play games that involve shooting and the "run, dodge, & jump".

I don't mind the folks who do, they are entertaining to watch, and for me, a reminder of times long past.

Everyone has their priorities, most are different from mine, and that is a good thing. Shoot the way you want, and enjoy it, that's all that really matters, isn't it?
Old January 2, 2014, 07:17 AM   #36
Guv

I shoot my Contenders off bags if I can at 50 yds.