The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 8, 2014, 02:02 AM   #1
Georgian

Got my first 1858!!

Hey yall. I am just now getting back into BP after a 4-5 year hiatus. My first BP revolver was an 1851 Navy .36 Pietta. I have seriously upgraded! I just got my Uberti 1858 Remington in.....and damn I'm impressed! It has got to be the most beautiful revolver I've ever handled. The finish is superb as well as the timing of the action. I actually ordered the wrong revolver from DGW thinking it was an 1858 Uberti, but it was a Euroarms 1858. The finish and overall appearance as well as timing was junk compared to the Uberti.

God Bless

Last edited by Georgian; March 8, 2014 at 02:13 AM.
Old March 8, 2014, 04:39 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

Welcome back

Nice pistol to get restarted on.
Old March 8, 2014, 06:30 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

What do you mean "UPGRADE"!!!!! It doesn't get any better than a '51 Navy!

Well . . . I suppose a Remmie is O.K.

Congrats on your new Remington! Looks like a nice one and ought to be a lot of fun! Uberti makes a good handgun. My current '51 Navy is a Uberti and it's probably one of the best I've ever had and I've owned a lot of different Navies over the years. I also have a Remington Navy (.36) that is a nice shooting hand gun - good design for sure.

Enjoy and let us know how she shoots! Thanks for sharing and congrats again - looks like you got a "keeper"!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 8, 2014, 08:10 PM   #4
shafter

Quote:
What do you mean "UPGRADE"!!!!! It doesn't get any better than a '51 Navy!
Or an 1860 Army!
Old March 8, 2014, 08:19 PM   #5
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
I actually ordered the wrong revolver from DGW thinking it was an 1858 Uberti, but it was a Euroarms 1858. The finish and overall appearance as well as timing was junk compared to the Uberti.
Really? I didn't even know EuroArms was still in business. The first Remmie I ever bought back in 1975 was a EuroArms. Still have it, usually shoot it with a conversion cylinder with Black Powder 45 Colt loads. Back then the EuroArms 1858s were actually made by Armi San Paolo. I have a stainless Uberti too and the frame of the old EuroArms was a little bit smaller than a modern Uberti. Never had any complaint about the timing, fit or finish of my old Euroarms, but that was 1975.
Old March 8, 2014, 08:29 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
Really? I didn't even know EuroArms was still in business.
They're not. Pedersoli bought them out a couple of years ago.
Old March 9, 2014, 03:39 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

Back in the day...

Euroarms was at or near the top of the heap as regards replica revolvers. Generally made by ASP which had a very good reputation among its contemporaries.
Old March 9, 2014, 04:45 AM   #8
Hawg

Euroarms was ASP, they just changed the name.
Old March 9, 2014, 09:29 AM   #9
Georgian

Well the EuroArms 1858 I received in error looked terrible compared to the Uberti. The grip panels were not the same size, and roughly finished. I also noticed quite a few tooling marks on the frame, which appeared to have been cast.

God Bless
Old March 9, 2014, 09:41 AM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
I also noticed quite a few tooling marks on the frame, which appeared to have been cast.
Most of the clones are cast. Some of the early ones were forged and Uberti just recently started forging but most are cast.
Old March 9, 2014, 02:34 PM   #11
bedbugbilly

I've had several Euroarms over the years and the ones I had were top notch - but hey - there are always going to be a few "lemons" regardless of the manufacturer. Even though they haven't been producing guns in while, there is still of lot of "new stock" laying around out there. Who knows how long that particular one was laying on the shelves at Dixie . . . iike any dealer, they could have 25 to who know how many in stock from a quantity purchase - stuff gets returned and either "corrected" or put back on the shelves at the bottom of the pile . . . over time, the pile gets smaller and eventually, somebody gets it. Not saying that's what happened . . . but it's not uncommon.

Dixie has always been a good company. I used to purchase a lot of stuff from them back in the 1960's - heck, they were one of the only ones to go to for muzzleloading parts at the time. I give Turner Kirkland a lot of credit for what he started . . . he kept a lot of us in parts and supplies. He and his company have certainly contributed a lot to the hobby over the years. One of my first revolver purchases was from them - an 1860 Army - had a fluted cylinder and was absolutely a great BP revolver. I got interested in Navies and sold it to a friend that wanted it pretty bad - I've regretted it many times as it was a great looking revolver with that fluted cylinder.

Glad you got a Remmie you like - it will be a good shooter for you!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 10, 2014, 09:19 AM   #12
maillemaker

Midway USA has a few fluted Uberti 1860 Army revolvers left on close-out special for $317.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/523...ber?cm_vc=S014

Steve
Old March 10, 2014, 08:02 PM   #13
Georgian

Well, I took it out on the range for the first time today. I didn't have any targets except bottles and such, but I was able to regularly ventilate them with the 1858. I didn't have any problems with misfires, except with one old CCI #11 cap that was about 8-10 years old. I ran approximately 24-30 shots through her.....but this time I took some good advice and had a small bottle of ballistol and water handy. Cut that fouling right off. I thought my old .36 Navy nipple wrench would work on the '58, but it is just too small. So I ordered one from VTI to install my Tresco/Ampco nipples on her. I do believe this '58 Remmie has become my favorite single-action! I hope to do a more formal range test later in the week to test the practical accuracy of the Remington.

God Bless