The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 1, 2009, 08:13 PM   #1
kydaddy

Help Glock36 is scratching the length of my brass

Not only when it is fired but also just cycled by hand. What could be causing this?

Thanks
Old October 1, 2009, 08:25 PM   #2
drail

There's a burr in there somewhere. Look at the chamber with a good light source.
Old October 2, 2009, 12:00 AM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Remove the barrel and see if you can chamber and remove a cartridge easily. If you can and if it comes out unscratched then the cartridge is getting scratched by the magazine lips or the slide.

Unless the scratches are really deep or unless this is causing some sort of function issue I don't think you need to worry about it.
Old October 2, 2009, 02:35 AM   #4
HiBC

Is this piece new,or has it seen some service?.As has been mentioned,it can be feed related or chamber related.If it is chamber related,full length means it is at the chamber mouth.My guess,are there any mill cuts on the breech ,like for a hood or extractor? These generally leave a burr,and sometimes the burr is not removed well enough.Your fingernail may work well to find it.
Old October 2, 2009, 05:55 AM   #5
cerberus65

In addition to the other good ideas above, try putting just one round in the magazine and orienting a particular letter or number of the headstamp in the 12 o'clock position. Then chamber and eject it. That will give you an idea where the problem is relative to the 12 o'clock position.
Old October 2, 2009, 04:07 PM   #6
kydaddy

Appreciate the help. Mulled over it today and here is a bit more information.

The scratch runs the full length of the brass and appears in the 12 o'clock position.

Does that help?
Old October 2, 2009, 04:10 PM   #7
kydaddy

Also gun is not new. I've had it for a number of years. But I guess no more than three boxes through it if that.
Old October 2, 2009, 09:16 PM   #8
cerberus65

Quote:
scratch runs the full length of the brass and appears in the 12 o'clock position
That pretty well rules out the magazine feed lips. Sounds like it's time to pull the barrel out and inspect it with a strong light (as someone else suggested). You know it's at 12 o'clock so start from the back just under the barrel hood and work forward from there into the chamber if necessary. You might also try inserting a round slowly by hand and see where it starts to scratch it. The fact that it scratches the full length of the case means you shouldn't have to go far to find the burr.
Old October 3, 2009, 10:08 AM   #9
kydaddy

How do I remove the burr if/when I find it?
Old October 3, 2009, 10:27 PM   #10
cerberus65

I would use a thin strip of very fine grit sandpaper (400 or 600) and go very, very slowly.

The other option is to call Glock and have them fix it. I don't have one so I don't know what their warranty is. I had a S&W 1911 where the breech face had a step of metal at the very edge. The S&W warranty is only good for the original owner so I figured I was going to fix it myself. It was enough metal that I eventually resorted to using a fine file. At first I was pretty nervous but I eventually gained confidence that I wasn't going to take off too much metal. And after a looong time (I went very slowly) the breech face was perfectly flat all the way to the edge and stopped leaving a mark on all the cases. But not everyone can bring themselves to file or sand on an expensive firearm. There's certainly no shame in having a professional do it. There's definitely satisfaction in being able to diagnose the problem even if you leave the solution to someone else.
Old October 7, 2009, 01:45 AM   #11
HiBC

For myself,I don't like to use sandpaper for this sort of thingIt just does not have the definition to only work the trouble spot.

There are stones called silversmith stones.About 4 inches long.You can use a round one,and I would suggest a fine india.

If you put some magic marker on your chamber mouth,then chamber a round,the brass will wear the marker off the hi spot.lightly,carefully just take off the high spot to blend with the rest of the steel.It will be the chamber bore,and lokely the face of the hood.My guess is,the slide was dropped while a bit of sand or something was present,and it made a little dent.when there is a dent,the metal goes sideways

Only take the high spot off,nothing more.
Old October 7, 2009, 01:46 PM   #12
cerberus65

Excellent point, HiBC!

A stone is the right tool for the job.