The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 4, 2013, 07:57 PM   #1
mikediver

Molon Labe postcards.

Good afternoon folks,

On another forum I frequent one of the longtime members is putting together post cards to send to our elected representatives. I would be happy to try and post a link if it's acceptable to do so. The idea is to get as many people as possible to send as many of these cards as possible to, primarily the "fence sitters" to try and sway their opinion about all the pending legislation. The intent is to send the cards anonymously.

This is on two threads at SnipersHide forum. One thread is in the Second Amendment forum and one is in the Bearpit forum.
Old January 4, 2013, 10:22 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

For this thread to be of any utility, we'd need a link.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:24 AM   #3
CowTowner

I'm with Tom, a link would be pretty handy here.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 7, 2013, 11:29 AM   #4
mikediver

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...3794256&page=1

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...84#Post3795584

Here a couple of links.

Thanks for looking!
Old January 7, 2013, 03:55 PM   #5
JN01

"Come and take them" is going to convince a fence sitter to vote with us?
Old January 7, 2013, 04:21 PM   #6
mikediver

In my mind the idea is to try and show some unity. Get the cards to our legislators and the media in large numbers to indicate we won't have our Rights infringed upon.
Old January 7, 2013, 04:53 PM   #7
HarrySchell

I endorse the idea of unity, but I suspect the current crop of anti's may not have any idea what Thermopylae means, and take this saying as some kind of confirmation about how "weird" we are.

A succinct letter about the roots of 2A, its relationship to the human right of self-defense and pointing out that since the average criminal no longer uses muskets, citizens should not be limited to them might have more impact.

I think a demand that they address the fiscal mess or other bigger issues before is also a good point. Pols need to be reminded about getting back to basics rather than riding the latest emotional hobby horse.

In some cases, nothing will change the mind. A Carolyn McCarthy cannot be dissuaded. Letters opposing her views will not change her but serve to warn her she faces opposition, people she cannot write off as "crazy" history buffs.

Any attempt to confiscate weapons at any level runs grave risk of bloodshed, after the Katrina fiasco and with government as nakedly incompetent and grasping as it is these days. My non-statistical sample in a line at a gun show Saturday indicates "Molon Labe" is a widely, strongly-held attitude, if expressed in a lot of different ways.

Even remotely connected pols are likely, once they settle down and stop emoting, probably don't need a threat, however veiled, to see the coming tragedy of confiscation. I hope.

We need to make noise, for sure. The more reasoned, the better, IMO.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:02 PM   #8
mikediver

Harry, the cards define the message. Not sure the intended target will grasp the history. I would wager that everyone who is involved in this project has already written to their legislators, I have, but I was willing to donate and be involved. I feel it another way to make our voices heard and thought I would pass it on.

I agree with most of your point, some, myself included, feel this is another way to make "noise"
Old January 7, 2013, 06:50 PM   #9
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
"Come and take them" is going to convince a fence sitter to vote with us?
I doubt it. It just presents a confrontational image.

Somebody tell me why these are preferable to sending a civil, well-reasoned letter to our elected officials.
Old January 7, 2013, 07:49 PM   #10
HarrySchell

Mike,
I understand where you are going and absolutely agree with making "noise".

I write frequently to pols and while sarcasm is unavoidable at times, sometimes asking why more important issues have not been addressed has more sting that telling them off.

A logical response to Biden's sally over the weekend to charge someone a huge fine for bringing a firearm into a school might best be answered by asking who the fine will be levied on if the shooter is dead. Parents? His estranged brother in Paraguay? Some people beg to be hung with their own rope. Figuratively, of course.

Reasonable questions about unreasonable ideas may not change the pol, but maybe the staffer assigned to look at things might be amused, and people they come in contact with hear of it. The pebble tossed makes ripples which go places we might not imagine. More pebbles, more ripples.

Glad you are thinking of how to make noise.

The old Texas battle flag with a cannon and "Come and Take It" inscribed is a favorite of mine.
Old January 7, 2013, 07:59 PM   #11
BarryLee

Quote:
Somebody tell me why these are preferable to sending a civil, well-reasoned letter to our elected officials.
Agreed, I’m not sure how something even a little confrontational helps our cause.

Keep in mind that most Senators and Representatives are bombarded with correspondence and employee staff members whose only job is to sort through all of this information and give them a tally. More less all they want to know are my constituents for or against a specific issue.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 8, 2013, 08:16 AM   #12
Ben Towe

I would strongly advise against sending something that could be construed as a veiled threat to a lawmaker. Send them a letter or an email that is well thought out and intelligent. Leave out the veiled threats and tin foil hat conspiracy theories.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:19 PM   #13
mikediver

Harry,

Thanks much for the reasoned response! I guess as a large group,firearms owners, we are still individuals and are going to have ideas about how to go about things.

Tom,

As mentioned in my previous post, this idea is not to replace "civil, well-reasoned" letters to our legislators, but as an addition to those letters. I have sent letters to all three of my representatives, asked to receive a response, and got a response from one of the three. To paraphrase her response, she outlined three anti-gun measures she was apparently proud of voting for and then told me she how she supports the Second Amendment? I live in a very left leaning state so it didn't surprise me at all.

Gentlemen, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on some of the ways to fight this battle, but let's all keep battling.

Mike