The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 30, 2001, 11:43 AM   #1
Eppy Thatcher

Restoring a Type 99 Arisaka Rifle? Help!!!!!

I have an Arisaka Type 99 rifle brought back from Iwo Jima that I want to have restored and mounted on my wall. Am looking for reputable gunsmiths that specialize in rifle restoration. Also, any information on the history of this rifle and locations of websites, books, etc would be greatly appreciated. Rifle is in pretty good shape; action still works, and only minor pitting, surface rust, etc.

Thanks for any help.
Old October 30, 2001, 01:07 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Eppy:
Hope this helps in your quest.

7.7X58 JAPANESE ARISAKA
Introduced: 1939
Other names: 7.7mm Jap
7.7mm Arisaka
7.7mm Type 99
Jap 31
Dimentional Data:
Bullet: .311
Neck: .338
Shoulder: .431
Base: .472
Rim: .474
Case Length: 2.28
Ctge length: 3.13
Twist: 9.8
Factory Ballistics:
Bullet: MV: ME:
175gr (military) 2400 2237
Chamber Pressure: 42,000 psi (approximately)
The 7.7mm was adopted by the japanese to replace the older 6.5mm, however ended up using both calibers during WWII. They also adopted a new rifle, the Model 99 Arisaka, which was
a modification of the earlier 1905 version.

This cartridge is very similar to the 303 British cartridge and uses the same .311" diameter bullets. However, it is a rimless type whereas the British is rimmed. The two are identical in power and performance and the 7.7mm Jap can be used for the same kind and size of game.

HJN
Old October 31, 2001, 08:55 AM   #3
Walt Sherrill

I also have a T-99 in pretty good shape.

While not yet BIG collectors items, they are increasingly getting higher prices, when in good shape.

If your gun is "pretty good," today I'd advise against restoration, for unless you spend REALLY BIG DOLLARS for a very fine professional restoration, your efforts will only degrade the collector interest of the gun and its value. And a very fine professional restoration will cost far more than its value when done. Oh, yeah -- look for a matching bayonet, too. And maybe the dustcover, and the monopod.

Clean it thoroughly, don't use oil on the stock (they used lacquer), prize it, and take care of it. Be warned, however, that unless your house is well secured, a wall-hanger is easy pickings for a burglar, and they do get stolen.

Mine is a fine shooter (when I can find ammo) with one of the best military triggers I've ever encountered.

Try visiting WWW.CRUFFLER.COM for a list of sites that may lead you to stuff about the Arisaka. (I've got a list of Arisaka sites at home -- I'm visiting from work this morning -- and I'll try to look them up tonight or tomorrow.)
Old October 31, 2001, 09:37 PM   #4
Walt Sherrill

I looked for Arisaka sites and information and I know there is another great Arisaka site somewhere, but I didn't save the URL

. In the meantime, here's a starting place...

http://www.conknet.com/banzai/

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html
Old November 1, 2001, 10:12 PM   #5
Eppy Thatcher

Walt Sherill,

Thanks for the sites and advice. I probably will just clean it up. It was my wife's grandfather's war trophy from Iwo Jima. Has the matching bayonet, dustcover, chrysanthemum, monopod, and anti-aircraft sites. How cool was that as a wedding gift.
Old November 2, 2001, 09:57 AM   #6
Walt Sherrill

If you have any documentation to show that this gun came from your wife's grandfather who served on Iwo Jima -- is he still alive? -- that can add considerably to its value as a collectible.

(A letter from your wife's Grandfather alone, would help.)

Bring-back papers are really great.

Sounds like you've got a great gun -- with all of the things that make it a desirable collectible.

(Mine looks pretty good, has the unground mum, and aircraft sights, but no monopod, dustcover, or bayonet.)

I'm envious. They're great shooting guns, too.
Old November 2, 2001, 11:11 AM   #7
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

eppy:
If you would like the assem/disassem instructions w/photos I can send them, if you will provide an email address:

HJN
Old November 3, 2001, 11:30 PM   #8
Eppy Thatcher

I would love the dissassembly instructions.

[email protected]

I've got the bring back authorization from her grandfather. He died before I met my wife (I would have liked to have met him). I've figured out the field strip but am curious if on how to get the stock off so I can give it a thorough cleaning. It is definitely a great piece. Thanks for all the input from everyone.
Old November 5, 2001, 11:49 AM   #9
sundog

Harley, I, too, would like a copy of the take down instructions: [email protected] (take out the NOSPAM). TIA!

Eppy, ammo is not a problem. I shoot mine ocassionally with lead bullets (Lyman 314299). Brass is not a problem either. You can buy the expensive Norma stuff, or make your own from 30-06. One pass through the 7.7 die and trim (alot), fire form, and you're ready to go. I can't tell the difference between the Norma and remade '06 cases. These are GREAT rifles except for the "four hundred pound" trigger pull. sundog
Old November 7, 2001, 10:16 PM   #10
Walt Sherrill

Sundog:

The trigger pull on my Arisaka -- and this is the way it was when I got it, a year or so ago -- is about 3 pounds, and actually better than my Swedish Mauser. A marvelous trigger.

(Don't know if this is a fluke, or whether someone worked on it a lot in periods of prior ownership. But it is a stock trigger assembly.) Maybe not all of them have 400 lb. triggers?
Old August 21, 2005, 01:23 PM   #11
Whizpig

trigger pull

If you trigger pull is unusually heavy have it checked, I have several and they all have beautiful trigger pulls.
Old August 21, 2005, 09:20 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

A Type 99 capture rifle with an intact "mum" is a desireable collectors item. Strictly speaking, the 7.7 is smaller at the base than the .30-'06 and cases made from the latter will swell, but many thousands have been fired with no problem. .311" hunting bullets are widely available, and the cartridge is an easy one to reload. Because of case swelling, many reloaders neck size only for .30-'06 cases.

Just FWIW, the Japanese used three types of 7.7mm cartridges. The rimless was used in the Type 99 rifle. The semi-rimmed was used the the Hotchkiss type machinegun to provide better extraction, and the rimmed round was used in the Japanese Navy's license-built Lewis guns. The latter round is identical, in dimensions and power, to the .303 British.

Jim
Old August 31, 2005, 01:09 PM   #13
20cows

The trigger pull on mine when I started with it was in the 40 lbs range (really!). I used a whet stone and carefully smoothed all of the bearing surfaces and reduced the pull down to the 3-4 lbs range. Before, I thought I would have to find an aftermarket trigger (no one makes one with a safety anymore like Timney used to), but I'm quite happy with the original now.