The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 23, 2007, 09:06 PM   #26
45-70

Layered Security

1. Chain link fence around the yard.
2. Significant dog or dogs inside the fence.
3. Good exterior lighting, motion sensors.
4. Exterior clear of bushes, shrubbery providing bad guys a place to hide.
5. Intrusion alarm.

OK, you are visiting and your buddy doesn't have this? Then don't go into condition white. You are not safe, so don't act like it. Stay aware of what is going on. Don't drink alcohol and don't disarm yourself. That said, if you are carrying a .44 or a .45, go ahead and have a good time.

Last edited by 45-70; June 24, 2007 at 04:59 PM.
Old June 25, 2007, 07:56 PM   #27
Jimro

only 4 options

Fight

Flight

Freeze

Submit.

Fight. It is tactically unsound to attack multiple invaders unless you have other mitigating circumstances that swing the tactical situation to your favor.

Flight, simply get out of there. Doesn't work so well when the escape route is blocked.

Freeze, the wife hid in the closet.

Submit. This is the option of last resort, relying on the mercy of criminals.

If I were an old man I would probably stick around and fight, I could not in good conscience leave my wife to cower in a closet. I don't know why the wife couldn't flee, it would be better if they both tried to exit the house.

The reason why fleeing is the best option is that the both the invader and couple were on unknown terrain, I don't know all the nooks and cranny's of my relatives houses. Assuming that the man knew the house a little better than the attackers doesn't give him the home field advantage.

Firepower, two on one allows the invaders the option of using "fire and maneuver" against the man, unless the wife could also be armed.

Anyways my analysis of the situation would be fleeing the scene as a couple would provide the greatest chance of survival. Second most likely chance of survival is fighting in place, using any available barricade and calling 911. Third option is freeze in place, hiding in a closet or under a bed (a panic room would make this option number 1). Least likely chance of survival is submitting to the invaders.

Jimro
Old June 26, 2007, 12:57 AM   #28
riverkeeper

My advice

is to get the movie rights for this for a James Bond story asap.