The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 14, 2006, 01:13 PM   #1
Eager

Where do you guys practice?

I've been shooting USPSA for a year now and I practice at a indoor range that's part of a gunshop near my home. It's very conveinient since it's close. They allow drawing from holster there (which is good), but since you shoot from partitioned "stalls", and I don't believe you're supposed to shoot across lanes, you cant move much or shoot more than one target. It's OK, I'm glad to have this place so close and that I can draw. But I've never seen any other IPSC type shooter there practicing.

I'll have to ask the guys at the match this weekend where they practice. I assume the most people do practice?

Where do you guys practice and what can you do there, i.e. move, shoot multiple targets, practice in groups, etc.?

I've gotten to the point where I need to try to get more out of my practice rounds.
Old March 15, 2006, 10:57 PM   #2
Daniel BOON

out in the desert

I lived in eastern wash. (clarkston/lewiston) and usually could find a gravel pit; but then they opened a range in Lapwai. the pistol range there is nice because not many shoot pistol; I would think anywhere west of clarkston would have plenty of open space out on the prairie;
but believe it or not, the desert gets crowded on the wk ends with all the atv's and dirt bike. the end
Old March 17, 2006, 04:43 PM   #3
GSD

In my back yard.

I have 12 acres and in the back, in the woods, is a revine, (sp), its about 40 ft across and about 30 ft deep and it starts on my property, so I use the start of it as the back drop.
Old March 17, 2006, 11:16 PM   #4
shooting4fun

G'day Eager, and et al.,

I've got similar issues at the local range here too. The public range has some rather restrictive rules limiting you to basic bullseye type shooting. The worst part is that if you are “buddies” with some of the old curmudgeon range masters, they do nothing to those that severly violate the rules. Consequently, I took the time to go and search about to find a range/club where safety is first and also accommodating the shooting sports. It took some time to find but it is worth it for me to drive the hour it takes to enjoy my range practices. Added benefits, they host some pretty cool matches too!

I wish you luck in your search. Put your support in those organizations that support you!

Cheers!
Old March 18, 2006, 01:49 PM   #5
Dan M.

Denny's
Old March 18, 2006, 09:20 PM   #6
Ken O

Couldnt you practice where you shoot USPSA? You almost have to get to an outside range to practice. I belong to a couple close clubs, but I mostly practice at home. I have two pistol bays in my back yard.