The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 9, 2013, 07:49 AM   #51
tomrkba

FYI, concealed carry permits are available in NY. They are not honored in NYC. You will need to live and work elsewhere in the state. You should contact one of the gun orgs; they will be able to help you.
Old February 9, 2013, 09:35 AM   #52
Homerboy

I lived in NY for most of my life. Moved to PA a few years ago, but i still work in NY (Orange County). If you are 21 and you are not legally barred from owning a gun, you WILL get a pistol permit. Some counties are "May Issue", and some are "Must Issue" regarding concealed permits, but you will get a pistol permit when you are 21. While some idiot jude MAY tell you you don't need to carry for protection, NOBODY is going to say you can't shoot at the range. And using a range gun for home protection is fine as long as you tell the cops that you heard the noise and then loaded your gun. Bad guy is either gonna be dead or not believed anyway.

As for gun choice, if i still lived in NY, as far as semi autos, I'd go for a 1911 first. Classic gun that belongs in every collection and it complies with the law. After that, a new semi auto that is standard 7 rounds like the M&P Shield. But a revolver is a GREAT first gun to buy, and as others have said, do NOT overlook the Ruger GP100. For a NEW revolver, there is no better. New S&W revolvers have the lock, the frame mounted firing pin, and the MIM parts. Sure, they work, but they're not up to par with the older ones. You can get a PRISTINE used 686 for about $650 if you must have a S&W.

And i agree the fees can be steep, but put it into perspective. How much you spend on your cell phone every month? bet you have a game system and several games, too. Spend the cash if you need to.
Old February 9, 2013, 02:18 PM   #53
H.W. French

Go west young man!

Find a job, pack a bag and go.
I left the east coast when I was thirty and moved to Texas. Spent a little time there and slipped over into New Mexico. Wow what a difference. Some of the most chill people, great food, low cost of living and all the open public land you could stand.
Contrary to what you hear on the news back east life is pretty good on the border. Totally changed my perspective.
Since then I've lived all over the southwest and now have made my permanent home in Idaho (you can open carry in our capitol!), though I still get to hit the road for work sometimes.
You can always move back home and continue to fight the good fight, but do yourself a favor and do some living and shooting out here.
Then you'll really be peeved about the 2A conditions in NY.
Also an undergrad or masters can be a lot less expensive out here as well if that can motivate you. But for me it was being able to hop in the truck and drive in any direction for 30 minutes pull off the road and be shooting in the middle of nowhere.
Old February 9, 2013, 05:08 PM   #54
Ale GOlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAR
How can I find out about that pistol training? I remember hearing that you need to go out side of N.Y.to take it.
I'm in a similar boat as you. I'm 29 and decided about two years ago that despite growing up in a strict anti-gun home I wanted to learn to shoot. My girlfriend and I have moved around a bit after college so I've finally been in Saratoga county long enough, one year, to put in my paperwork in March. About 6 months ago I took a 3 hour drive to VT where I took the NRA Basic Hadgun Course. I was able to lay hands on a pistol for the first time in my life and it was incredibly instructive. You'll still have to take the NY handgun course for your permit but this is much better in the interim. Sportsman's Club of Franklin County

Last edited by Ale GOlem; February 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:11 AM   #55
wmeSha

I agree with the GP100 recommendation

I'm going to chime in with the others who said not to overlook the GP100. I've gotten to shoot a few really sweet Smiths that were owned by friends, but a 4" GP100 is the only gun I've ever bought on impulse. I walked into the local gun shop and it was in the window, so I asked to dry fire it. That gun just spoke to me, and I told the owner, "Set it aside. I'll be back tomorrow with cash."

It's a great revolver. I've got two SP101s, one in .22lr and one in .357, and they're comparably stiffer (especially the .22lr), but that GP100 is just a peach.
Old February 10, 2013, 02:33 PM   #56
22-rimfire

I don't have a particular problem with the S&W lock other than I don't like it. But operationally, I have never had a problem.

You're starting out and appear to want a revolver. I would look for a sligthly used S&W M617 or M17, or M18 which are 22LR's and go from there. Nothing wrong at all with a new M617 and if you go that route, I prefer the 4".

Colt Python's are fine guns, but not the end of the world. Many actually prefer Smiths. If you are thinking 357 mag, the S&W M686 is a very good choice or the larger framed M27. The 686 is about the same size as a Python which is why I brought it up.

Do not dismiss the Ruger GP-100 without actually looking at one. They are real nice guns.

The Ruger Mark II/III and 22/45's are excellent 22 semi-auto pistols with their 10-round mags. Somehow, I expect 22's to be excluded from the 7-round limit, but maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part.

I like Glocks. I feel sure they will be sold with the 10-round mags as before and you can just load 7 in them. Frankly, I often only loaded 8 in the 10 round mags anyway.

Check out the Ruger lineup of pistols. They have some good ones in 9mm and 40 S&W.
Old February 10, 2013, 06:56 PM   #57
shaunpain

Another vote for the GP100. I own one and absolutely love it. Built like a tank.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:11 PM   #58
MTAR

So much information.... thanks guys.

Yeah, I looked up NRA pistol training courses and u saw that there are some in N.Y. but do I need to have a permit to even try them in N.Y.? I was going to pay the fee but it didn't say..
Old February 15, 2013, 12:07 PM   #59
Ale GOlem

Quote:
Yeah, I looked up NRA pistol training courses and saw that there are some in N.Y. but do I need to have a permit to even try them in N.Y.?
The course in NY only let's you use airsoft pistols so no license required however the course in VT needs no license either, as there are no real firearms laws in VT, and gives you hands on experiance with several caliburs, makes and models of firearms.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:33 PM   #60
MTAR

That's probably the most mentally challenging thing I've ever heard.
Old February 17, 2013, 08:13 AM   #61
HKGuns

Get active in Politics, get your friends active in politics, vote for candidates that support your views and the laws will change. Talk to people about the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, what they mean in this Country and why they exist. Educate yourself if you're not there already, then educate others.

Work for the opponent in your next Gubernatorial election. The one you have now is 100% fire breathing TOOL and doesn't deserve to hold the office, let alone have aspirations for something larger.

I'm guessing you didn't vote in the last election, based solely on your age? If that is true, you got exactly what you deserved.
Old February 17, 2013, 09:59 AM   #62
mrbatchelor

Young new beginner trying to start out but seems impossible

As Aristotle opined 2500 years ago, if you don't get involved in politics you're destined to be ruled by your inferiors.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:05 AM   #63
Spats McGee
Staff

Yes, get active in politics, but do not let this turn into a political thread. (Here's your hint!)
Old February 18, 2013, 09:32 AM   #64
Ale GOlem

Quote:
Yeah, I looked up NRA pistol training courses and saw that there are some in N.Y. but do I need to have a permit to even try them in N.Y.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale Golem
The course in NY only let's you use airsoft pistols so no license required however the course in VT needs no license either, as there are no real firearms laws in VT, and gives you hands on experiance with several caliburs, makes and models of firearms.
Quote:
That's probably the most mentally challenging thing I've ever heard.
Agreed, however in order for their "firearms training" courses to comply with NY state law they're not allowed to let anyone lay hands on a pistol that is not on that individual's personal permit. Remember, techinically it's illegal to walk into a gun store and handle a handgun before you purchase it in NY. Luckily 100% of shops ignore this stipulation.