The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 5, 2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Inspector3711

Winchester Model 275 .22 WMR

Dad bought this rifle back in the 60's for squirrel hunting in South Carolina. He says it never did feed well. At some point he wrapped duct tape around the bolt to try to get it to line up with the chamber. He gave up on it and never shot it again. He says it was even more upsetting because it was as accurate as his Marlin 39A which is a tack driver.

It's been in his garage for several years (I'm guessing it's a rusty mess and so is he) in western Oregon. He's giving it to me because he knows I like to work with messes. It'll be interesting to see what condition it's in and to see if I can work with it and get it feeding right. Hopefully the rifling is good still.

It looks like they only made these for a couple of years and they weren't a big seller. Aparrently Remington had a better option at the time. I see some fairly high prices for them online, not that I'd ever sell it.

Has anyone ever had similiar issues with this model? I'm sure I'll need to find out where to get parts for it.

Last edited by Inspector3711; March 5, 2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old March 5, 2010, 03:09 PM   #2
PetahW

FWIW, the Model 270 was a .22LR, and the Magnum version was the Model 275.

Old March 5, 2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Inspector3711

So it is... Thanks. I looked for a rifle that looks like it not knowing the model number from memory. The rifle is a model 275 deluxe. I corrected my original post.

Last edited by Inspector3711; March 5, 2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old March 6, 2010, 11:25 AM   #4
tkcomer

On mine, you have to work that slide with authority. Hard back, hard forward. Do that, and it works fine. If ya work it slow, it jams all the time.
Old March 8, 2010, 11:11 AM   #5
johnbt

"Has anyone ever had similiar issues with this model?"

Yes, my cousin did when he got a new one way back when we were kids. Never did get it fixed, not perfectly anyway.

I had a Marlin 39-A Golden Mountie.

John
Old March 8, 2010, 11:32 PM   #6
ThomasT

I have the version made for Sears called a Model 5. Mine works very smoothly with never a hiccup. Darn good shooter too.
Old March 9, 2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Inspector3711

I'll just have to see what the problem is. Dad has better smarts than I do but I like to tinker and my mechanical aptitude may be a little better. He was never very patient with this sort of thing.