The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 19, 2007, 09:38 AM   #1
870pilot

Need Fresh Opinions On Dillon Square Deal

Did a search but i wanted to get opinions from Dillon SD owners who have owner their machines for a while. I would be fine with the handgun ammo only press as i have another press for rifle cartridges.

This would be set it and forget it set up for .45 acp only. Another contender for purchase would be the Hornady LNL progressive.

I don't want to start another Koolaid color war, just letting you know I was also looking at the Hornady.

thanks SD owners (and former owners)
Old July 19, 2007, 10:37 AM   #2
auto45

I've used one for over 15 years and about 65,000 ACP rounds through it.

Mixed "feelings", but overall I'd buy another one for the volume I shoot, and the "time" I'm willing to spend reloading per week. Those are important considerations in choosing a machine IMO.

Easy to use and "fast". In fact, you can load it too fast and I had to slow down to insure good ammo, less powder flakes around the machine and proper primer feeding. Now, I load about 400-450 per hour and it's fine.
You can crank about a 750 rounds an hour "cycling rate", but bad things happen. That's just to illustrate it's a "natural" setup IMO. Meaning, center handle, each hand is doing something...brass/bullet, etc.

First 20-25,000 rounds was reliable if you kept it clean and replaced the "red tip" that hold the primers before it fails...not if, just when. I now replace "them" at @ 1,000-2,000 rounds at most. Primer problems are a real pain both for the ammo and to "clean up", so I'll do anything to avoid them.

After that I had multiple parts breakage so you need their "parts kit" to keep it going and they will replace parts free. Service is great and great people, etc...old news. I did have them rebuild it once at around 45,000 rounds and it's worth it. Parts kit is important because there are several "small" cheap parts that if they break, you are done reloading for the day(s).

I highly recommend a case lube like One-shot because it reduces the effort of reloading substantially and smooths out the "operation" of the machine. I don't believe you have the "leverage" on the SDB as compared to others, i.e. shorter handle.

So, I could be "persuaded" to look at the 550 if I had a chance to load on it.
Otherwise, for the money, the SDB is worth looking at given the "problems" I read about on other reloaders also...usually primer feeding problems, etc.
Maybe that's "normal" for pistol reloading.

That was long.
Old July 19, 2007, 10:47 AM   #3
crazylegs

My first press was a SD. I kept it about a week and sent it back to Dillon for a 550. I had major primer seating depth problems with the SD and as I was a progressive nubee, the auto advance was a real pain. Mine was also set up for 45 ACP. Things were a bit tight with my size 13 mitts. The 550 was a MUCH better press imo. A lot of guys love their SDs. Me, I couldn't warm up to it. I don't know much about the LNL, but I understand the new ones are quite nice. I'm sure some SD owners will be by shortly with more insight. Who knows, I may have gotten a bad one or had a case of "nubeeitis".
Crazylegs
Old July 19, 2007, 11:14 AM   #4
The Tourist

I bought my SD in the mid 1980s for the princely sum of 125 dollars.

I still receive free parts (including an entire powder hopper re-build kit) whenever some new or safety related innovation is developed.

Most of the time I grind out .45 ACP, but I have also purchased dies for the .40 SW and the 10mm.

(I made the decision to get separate pieces as to create two replacement sets. Yeah, yeah, I know, I know. A .40 SW is a shorter version of the 10mm Auto. I get it. I just hate to do all of the recalibrating and cleaning.)

As for the number of catridges assembled in .45 ACP, I place the guesstimate at +80,000, and probably more. I am wearing out RCBS casting blocks, I go through pounds of Alcan AL-8 and tens of thousands of large pistol primers.

Oh, and I did break a handle clean off of the press from fatigue. Dillon was kind enough to ship a free replacment.

What's not to like?
Old July 19, 2007, 12:00 PM   #5

The SD was the first progressive press I bought. I've loaded well over 100,000 rounds on it.
Old July 19, 2007, 01:40 PM   #6
crowbeaner

I had an SDB and loaded about 10,000 rounds each of 38/357, 10 mm and 45. I sold it to a friend and he hasn't stopped grinnlng yet. I bought the replacement parts kit and gave it to him with the loader. He loads .45s on it and hasn't had a problem yet. I went back to my older RL 450 for pistol ammo as I can stop and check things individually as I set up to avoid the aggravating little nuances that the SDB had. Mine worked great, as long as I kept things clean and didn't force the operation of the OP handle into doing things it wasn't meant to do ( like last minute swaging of the bullet during the seating operation). All in all I would buy another, but the RL 450 just keeps cranking the ammo out, and I currently have no need for the SD; that's why I sold it.
Old July 19, 2007, 02:18 PM   #7
cdrt

I had a SD in .38 Special with an extra head for 9mm. It had problems in the priming stage, so I sent it to Dillon and had it repaired. I then sold it and bought a Star Machine Works Universal in .38 Special. The person who bought the SD said it worked fine for a while and then had the same problem. They sent it back for repairs and then sold it to buy a 650 which they have been very happy with.

I also know of one guy at the range where I shoot that has several SDs. He solved the priming problems on his by only using the presses for powder charging, belling and seating. Everything else he does on a single stage press. I personally would not put up with that kind of extra work, but he's retired and has the time.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old July 19, 2007, 02:33 PM   #8
benedict1

SDB? Maybe.

There is a drumbeat here--for the presses that work, great. Just chug out ammo.

However, if you get one of them where the priming system is amiss, you are in trouble. I got one of those and after 3 weeks of bending springs, filing corners, replacing parts that were sent PDQ from Dillon I said "I quit." Sent it back and got a full refund and changed color. I am totally happy with what I have now, load a ton of ammo, and have spent far less than I would have had I stayed with the SDB.

From my experience and everything I've seen, it's the luck of the draw if you buy one.

Whatever you decide good luck and safe reloading to you, my friend.
Old July 19, 2007, 04:05 PM   #9
870pilot

thanks guys!

i appreciate all the input to auto 45 for the novella...

and benedict, we've written before, you know what color of press i have now, and am very happy with, but i still haven't bought that first progressive press to add to the family...

i do a LOT of research before i melt the plastic in my wallet
Old July 19, 2007, 05:12 PM   #10
629 shooter

I guess something that has not been mentioned is the the fact that the Square Deal does not use conventional dies but a style which is unique to the SD. You are probably already aware of that anyway. Just that a caliber conversion is fairly expensive.

Since you will set it and forget it and load for 45 only, that is probably not a real factor. The "working clearance" of the SD is rather small compared to most presses. Where something like the 550 has a vast frame opening and just seems it would probably be easier to work with. Of course the 550 has to be that way for the larger rifle cartridges , still wish the SD had a little more space in the frame opening.

With that said I have owned a SD for about 20 years now. Bought mine when they were a whopping $135 ready to load in one caliber! Loaded many thousands of rounds of 38 Spl , 357 mag , 44 mag and even 45 ACP. A few 9mms too. Has always loaded excellent quality ammo for me.

About 10 years ago I sent the press in for some minor work and was sent back basically a whole new press! The no BS warranty has been just that. In the early years it seems that had problems with some handles breaking , they promptly sent me a new one when mine bit the dust.

I guess if I were to do it today I might get the 550 since I reload for several different calibers and the conventional dies are all removed at once on a tool head which would make changing dies quicker.

But for loading one specific handgun cartridge a SD would work very nicely , mine has served well for 20 years.
Old July 19, 2007, 07:03 PM   #11
Tanzer

Never had a SD, I bought a used 550B off Ebay years ago and it still works great. What I wanted to mention is that the folks at Dillon have always been great. Their no BS warranty has never failed me.
One time they sent me an extra conversion kit by mistake. They showed their appreciation for my honesty in sending it back (they refunded shipping) by sending my next request for a broken orifice free of shipping and not asking me to send the broken part.
Old July 20, 2007, 12:55 AM   #12
inkie

Don't want to repeat what all the SD owners said. So I would like to report that I had the SD since it came out, have two die conversions .45 and .38,.357. Reloads just keep chugging out of the hopper. Never had a problem with primers {prefer Federal} used rebuild kits a few times. Clean & lube every 5000 round. Wore out dies Dillon replaced, wore out parts Dillon replaced.All my reloads go Bang! I would buy one again.
Old July 20, 2007, 04:40 PM   #13
UniversalFrost

I had a SD in 9mm, but sold it for a 550B when I wanted to pump out large amounts of .223. It was the best move I every made. A lot faster in pumping out the rounds and I use RCBS dies in it and don't have to worry about dillon specific dies like in the square deal.

I wish I would have waited for the 650 to come out though. Oh, well that will be my next purchase.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green