The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 10, 2007, 10:08 PM   #151
Groundhog

Mike,

Right on on your rant!

Ed,

No one here is arguing for pacifism, it just looks a bit like it. It's more of a devils advocate kind of thing.

But...

To all,

The country we live in was founded in part on the idea that we, as a people, could have differing beliefs and opinions. We would then vote on things and the majority vote would rule. The minority would then agree to disagree but still peaceably abide by the result. When enough opinions change, or they changed enough, the minority would become the majority and switch things around.

It's possible (though I know for some of you out there you don't buy this) for two people to have differing opinions on an issue and for both of them to be right. What is not right for you may still be right for another.

If you think what is going on now is scary, imagine this:

The Bill of Rights is a "living" document. It can be changed. If enough people wanted to repeal an amendment, it can be done. In fact, it has been done. If 3/4 of the states (may not be right number there) became majority pacifist, what do you think would happen to the Second Amendment? Poof!

One of the biggest problems we have as a society today, IMHO, is that we are isolated, do not engage each other, and respect no opinion but our own. If you cannot see the value of another's opinion or belief, given certain conditions of course, then any argument will degenerate into holding your hands over your ears and yelling "Nya, nya, nya, nya!!!" Just before the rioting and shooting start. This is why educated and thoughtful men and women are supposed to run things.

This is an exceptional thread. I hope it continues even though we've obviously gone beyond the OPs intent.

"Remember, a valid point never overrules a family tradition." - Me
Old April 10, 2007, 11:58 PM   #152
piste

As Mike said I too do not read posts I am not interested in. I've been reading this one as the original post is a topic of very high interest to me. but I find little in the last 3 pages or so that's even remotely related to it....so I got frustrated..but obviously many others are interested in where this is going despite how far off the topic of the original post it may be...so enjoy. Apologies to Mike or anyone I offended in my last post ...and despite my low post count I enjoy this forum and intend to behave properly....though my last post was a lot less personal than it could have been. It was merely a (perhaps misguided) attempt to get the discussion back on the original topic and I've failed miserably. But I'm still gonna carry in every room of my house...all day long....am I paranoid? or are they all just out to get me?

PS. Would someone kindly PM me if this ever gets back on topic? TIA.
PPS. Mike, I promise to be "done with this topic" for more than 13 minutes...assuming it doesn't get back on point.
Old April 11, 2007, 06:27 PM   #153
williamd

JUST BECAUSE I'M PARANOID DOESN'T MEAN THEY'RE NOT AFTER ME!!!
Old April 12, 2007, 05:36 PM   #154
Groundhog

Ain't no thing Piste. Glad you are here. It's tough to write a post and have any tone come across. I probably ought to write up a generic "sorry, didn't mean to offend" one myself and keep it handy!

I can see how it might be irritating to have the topic hijacked. I think in this case it just kind of evolved into something else.

"Remember, a valid point never overrules a family tradition." - Me
Old April 13, 2007, 10:25 AM   #155
kiov

I think this was a great thread. Thanks to everyone who posted and to all those who kept the personal attacks out of it. Its a shame to see a good thread degenerate to name calling, although i think we all understand the temptation. It didn't seem to me that anyone got too far out of line.

When you insult someone, or say that they should have their gun taken away because of their view, they stop listening, which is the opposite of what you want.
Old April 13, 2007, 03:02 PM   #156
cheygriz

Off topic or not, this has been one of the most interestrinjg, and thoughjt provoking threads in a long time.

I wish there were more like it.
Old April 16, 2007, 07:16 PM   #157
Kreyzhorse

With today's events, one can never be too prepared. God bless all those effected at VT.