The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 29, 2012, 09:14 AM   #1
hawkeye1

Mini 14 Target

Just picked up mini 14 Target model with laminated thumbhole stock and heavy barrel with adjustable counterweight. The counterweight is the same idea as the BOSS on the Browning I assume. Has anyone messed with this on the Ruger? Am anxious to start reloading project on this rifle and see what it will do. The first groups with reloads for one of my bolt action 223 went just over 1/2 inch. Excited to see what it will shoot with bullet and load it likes. Then with the counterweight adjusted.
Any thoughts?
Old September 29, 2012, 09:09 PM   #2
stu925

I'm very interested in the accuracy of the target model, my ranch rifle shoots around 2" @100 yds with factory ammo and so far I've gotten my handloads down to around 1 1/2". If you've got a load that's shooting 1/2" out of a Mini of any sort I'm not sure it'll get much better than that. You'll definitely have to keep us posted though. By the way, if you don't mind sharing, what are the specifics of that load, I'd be interested to try it in my ranch rifle and see how it does there.

Stu
Old October 22, 2012, 01:22 PM   #3
hawkeye1

I still haven't had a chance to specifically reload for this target model, but the reloads that I used from one of my other 223s is 24.5 grains of Benchmark, 55 grain Hornady SP. This will definitely be my starting point, either little up or down. Anyone use the adjustable weight on the end of the barrel for tuning your loads? Is there a starting point for this as well?
Would like to hear from anyone who has already experimented with this one.
Old October 22, 2012, 04:04 PM   #4
K1500

Be aware that unlike standard Mini's, Ruger cut the target with a .223 chamber. They advise against the use of 5.56 ammo in it.
Old October 22, 2012, 05:23 PM   #5
hardhat harry

Great gun, I'm sure you'll get your rounds loaded to perfection. I shoot factory AE 50 grain Varmint and am getting 1.5 inch groups at 200 yards. I have just had the trigger group modified to 3.5 lbs...anxious to get back on the range.
http://www.mini14triggers.com/
Old October 23, 2012, 09:35 AM   #6
hawkeye1

I know there is a slight difference in the chamber of the 223 and the 5.56, but what exactly is the difference? Is one cut tighter than the other? Is it shorter in the throat? What should I be looking for when I reload this in comparison to my other 223?
Is there a particular starting point for the counter weight?
Old October 23, 2012, 12:00 PM   #7
DaleA

AR15.COM had an interesting and lengthy article titled
Quote:
The AR15.com Ammo-Oracle

Everything you ever wanted to know about .223 and 5.56
ammunition or double your money back.*
They discussed the ammo and the differences in chambers cut for .223 or 5.56 too.

I would also be very interested in how your mini-14 shoots so don't forget to put out a range report after you shoot it.
Old October 23, 2012, 05:31 PM   #8
hardhat harry

Here is an article for you to read: CALIBER CONFUSION

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/a...ber-confusion/
Old October 26, 2012, 01:31 PM   #9
tobnpr

Chamber of 5.56 or 2.23 is irrelevant since he's handloading, and will be using .223 dies anyway.

Been debated a million times before, don't sweat it...

Did Ruger provide any instructions on the use/adjustment of the harmonic balancer?