The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2009, 12:53 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

found this website listing "lots" of load reciepes... anyone registered ???

http://www.loaddata.com
got suff from 17 Hornet to 500 S&W & all the odd stuff in between, including cast bullets for almost all calibers as well... I fond it interesting enough, that I paid the annual fee to get the powder charges for all the lists...

your guys thoughts ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; March 3, 2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old March 3, 2009, 01:05 PM   #2
CrustyFN

My thoughts are that none of it is proven data. It is only what people have tried and said they like. Some people like to load crazy hot. I would rather stick with proven data from a manual of powder manufacture and just work up my own load.
Rusty
Old March 3, 2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Dr. Strangelove

I joined AmmoGuide Interactive for the same reasons as you joined the other site, Magnum Wheel Man. I've found it to be informative with some interesting applications on the site. Having said that, all of the applications I use are available for free elsewhere on the internet, this site just happens to put them all in one place. It's probably worth the $17.95 per year I paid, but I wouldn't pay any more than that.

I fully agree with CrustyFN , be careful with the load data and always compare to published sources. I wouldn't recommend sites like these to a new loader until they have enough experience under their belt to know what is and isn't a reasonable load.
Old March 3, 2009, 02:44 PM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

I've got a lot of odd calibers I load for... several new ( to me ) this year...

there is also most published load book data, as well as privately developed data...

...& alway approch any load data with caution & respect it is due...

DR.STRANGE... thanks for the tip... I had some difficulty fixing that, please let me know if the revised link didn't fix that problem... & thanks again for bringing it to my attention...
Old March 3, 2009, 05:10 PM   #5
DaveInPA

I use loaddata.com and I've found it well worth the yearly cost.
Old March 3, 2009, 06:23 PM   #6
the_right_reverend

I have a subscription to LOADDATA make it easy to compare loads and wieghts.... Most of the data comes from published manuals, but I still cross reference it to current manuals.

had a subscription to ammoguide interactive but a lot of the user loads seemed a little hot.....

but nothing beats a good libary of manuals
Old March 3, 2009, 06:58 PM   #7
D. Manley

Quote:
My thoughts are that none of it is proven data. It is only what people have tried and said they like. Some people like to load crazy hot. I would rather stick with proven data from a manual of powder manufacture and just work up my own load.
Rusty
Not LoadData, Rusty. They are essentially a one-stop shop for most of the published data from Lyman, Hornady, Sierra, all the powder manufacturers, etc., etc. Each set of individual data is segregated by the source in other words, the data is not "mixed" from differing sources. They also provide data from their other side, "Handloader Magazine" articles which, are so labled. I subscribe and frankly, would'nt want to be without it...like having a bookshelf of load manuals while at the computer.
Old March 4, 2009, 12:16 AM   #8
CrustyFN

Thanks DM I'll have to check it out.
Rusty
Old March 4, 2009, 12:41 AM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

I subscribed for a year, but let it lapse. I already own half a dozen printed manuals and often cross-check the free data on the powder maker's sites. More often I now work by using those data sources to cross-validate initial results in QuickLOAD which I then go on to do tweaking with because it lets me adjust for the volume of my actual chambers. So as far as Loadswap went, I just didn't really need the additional data for the way I do load work-ups now. I think that's really the point. How you work determines which kinds of resources you need, and you'll need to work that out for yourself.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 4, 2009, 01:34 AM   #10
bfoosh006

http://www.stevespages.com/page8a.htm...his pages are full of possible charge weights....