The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 2, 2014, 08:36 PM   #1
tahunua001

drifting front sights on a type I arisaka.

I finally got some trigger time with my type I. it'll ring an oxygen tank at 200 yards about 4 out of 5 times but at 100 yards it's hitting about 5 inches to the left. I noticed the front sight is slightly drifted to the right from center(about 1 tenth of an inch). I re-centered the front sight, was this too much of a correction or is that about right? I'm out of 6.5 ammo for now so I'm unable to test this for myself.
Old February 3, 2014, 09:25 AM   #2
gyvel

Right. If you're shooting to the left, moving the front sight to the left will bring your POA back closer to center.
Old February 3, 2014, 10:43 AM   #3
Old Stony

You moved it the right direction, now you just have to shoot it some more to see where you go from here. Shooting it on paper will give you a more definitive picture of what it is doing and where to go from there.
Old February 3, 2014, 12:57 PM   #4
gyvel

A somewhat primitive but moderately effective method is to take your bolt out, put the rifle in some kind of rest, and look down the bore at a black spot on the wall. Then, being very careful not to disturb the rifle, look at the sight alignment and see if it is close to where the black spot is. Barring other factors, such as a bad crown or bent barrel, it should tell you how close you are to zero.
Old February 3, 2014, 09:00 PM   #5
tahunua001

I figured that shooting would be the only sure way of testing but figured I'd ask incase anyone here had done it and had a good guess for how much drift to equal 5 inches at 100 yards.