The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old June 16, 2008, 12:01 AM   #1
Gatorhugger

Republicans for Obama- Reverse Racism?

Big article in my paper today about how ALL the black republicans are going to vote for Obama. They feel it is too historic an opportunity to have representation of a black male, that 100% feel that they are voting Obama. That includes long term Repubs like JC Watts and Colin Powell and long term black repub talk show hosts.

Makes me wonder if these are really true republicans or just calling themselves that for their betterment. Now that it's the choice of voting black or sticking to their so called principles, they go black.
( and never go back. Couldn't resist that
I'll say one think about the races, the blacks stick together at all costs.

Someone commits murder and is black, they say he's innocent.
Someone runs for President and has voted against your party his whole life, you vote for him anyway.
It's a consistent bunch. Black Power never really died, it's just been brewing under the surface for decades. In middle class white America, to vote because of skin color would be racist. For Powell, it's perfectly acceptable.

This double standard of Black Power and promoting Black gains at all cost is pathetic and is systematic of the problem of race relations. There will always be pride and prejudice since the minority will never let the issue drop or live a day of their lives without secretly planning revenge and rejoicing at every opportunity the majorities demise.
Old June 16, 2008, 12:03 AM   #2
Fremmer

People vote for who they want to vote for, for whatever the reason. That's the system.
Old June 16, 2008, 12:07 AM   #3
SecDef

Maybe they just see which way the wind is blowing and are looking out for their best interests in the next few years?
Old June 16, 2008, 05:41 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
This double standard of Black Power and promoting Black gains at all cost is pathetic and is systematic of the problem of race relations. There will always be pride and prejudice since the minority will never let the issue drop or live a day of their lives without secretly planning revenge and rejoicing at every opportunity the majorities demise.
Get off your racism high horse. There is no double standard. Special interest voting happens all the time. Fremmer has a very good point...

Quote:
People vote for who they want to vote for, for whatever the reason. That's the system.
So where is this alledged article that claims 100% of black republicans are voting for Obama? How did they get Watts and Powell to go on the record to say that this would happen or to reveal how they are voting?

It is hard to believe such absolutist nonsense, especially when no source is provided.
Old June 16, 2008, 05:48 AM   #5
GoSlash27

Probably some self-interest in it. Punching a hole through that glass ceiling ultimately helps their careers too.
There is some racism involved in the rank and file backing of Obama but that cuts both ways. Notice the disproportion of primary votes to caucus delegates? Public declarations are out of sync with private votes. Shame we still have that problem in this country.
Old June 16, 2008, 06:11 AM   #6
Wuchak

If Obama were trying to make it as a rapper they would claim he's not black enough to understand them since his mother was white and he came from a middle class background. He hasn't exactly had a life that would lead me to believe he's at all in touch with black culture. Somehow I cannot picture Obama throwing in 50-Cent's latest cd on the way to work in the morning.

If Obama is elected racists will just say the only reason Obama has some drive and some smarts is that he is half white. His election won't change their minds about blacks in any way. He'll be tagged as the "1/2 a Prez", the "Spoda-be Prez", and the "50 per'Cent Prez".
Old June 16, 2008, 06:18 AM   #7
SteelCore

Quote:
I'll say one think about the races, the blacks stick together at all costs.
This can probably be said about most ethnic groups. It's somewhat fundamental to human nature. However, it's ALWAYS considered "hate" when whites overtly organize along racial lines.

For example, it is perfectly acceptable to have a black, Hispanic, Asian, or Jewish student group on a college campus. This is considered a commendable display of "diversity." It is absolutely NOT acceptable to have a group dedicated to promoting white interests. This is considered a display of "hate."

Of course many (or most?) whites are also racially-conscious; it's just that whites are the only people who are required to hide it.
Old June 16, 2008, 07:38 AM   #8
wingman

In my opinion this entire election has been about race and of course our great media loves it that way. Does anyone here truly believe a well spoken white man would have beat Hillary, not a prayer in my mind. The far left have a minority ladder they judge everyone on and the white woman is at the bottom and this what we've come too, not quality but making a statement.
Old June 16, 2008, 07:55 AM   #9
J.Smith

Obama is White. He is a typical white woman in fact.
Old June 16, 2008, 08:17 AM   #10
thrgunsmith

I'm sure some rino's white or black will vote for B.O

I am equally sure no real conservative, whether Eskimo or Aborigine, Chinese or
Native American or Black or White...will vote for B.O
Old June 16, 2008, 08:43 AM   #11
Wuchak

I wonder how Alan Keyes feels about having to vote for Obama because he's black. Keyes is someone who I could get behind because of his beliefs and character. The Republicans should have run him instead of McCain who I think is a huge mistake as a candidate whether he wins or not.
Old June 16, 2008, 09:10 AM   #12
madmag

Quote:
ALL the black republicans are going to vote for Obama.
OK, so that gives him an additional 150 votes.
Old June 16, 2008, 09:38 AM   #13
sasquatch

Double Naught Spy
Quote:
So where is this alledged article that claims 100% of black republicans are voting for Obama? How did they get Watts and Powell to go on the record to say that this would happen or to reveal how they are voting?

It is hard to believe such absolutist nonsense, especially when no source is provided.
The article does not state that "100% of black republicans are voting for Obama". However, it does make that point that many so-called conservative black voters "revel over the possibility of a black president".

Here it is:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080615/...atives_obama_6
Old June 16, 2008, 10:18 AM   #14
HKuser

They're idiots. An Obama presidency could set back race relations 50 years. If he screws up badly, and the empty suit will do just that if elected, it will be blamed on his race (or at least his self-professed racial identity) rather than his glib pronouncements of popular nothingness and lack of any discernible qualifications or ability.
Old June 16, 2008, 10:23 AM   #15
obxned

No one should be allowed to call themselves a Republican or a conservative if they express even the possibiliy that they might vote for someone who's views are so close to those of Karl Marx.

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old June 16, 2008, 10:27 AM   #16
Pilot

Quote:
An Obama presidency could set back race relations 50 years. If he screws up badly, and the empty suit will do just that if elected, it will be blamed on his race (or at least his self-professed racial identity) rather than his glib pronouncements of popular nothingness and lack of any discernible qualifications or ability.
Exactly right. Well said sir. Just to add, its a sad state of affairs when the quality of candidates for the most powerful office in the world is so poor.
Old June 16, 2008, 11:07 AM   #17
Gatorhugger

"So where is this alledged article that claims 100% of black republicans are voting for Obama? How did they get Watts and Powell to go on the record to say that this would happen or to reveal how they are voting?

It is hard to believe such absolutist nonsense, especially when no source is provided."
Old June 16, 2008, 01:03 PM   #18
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Well now that you got your article, where is the apology to me Double naught? You basically called me a liar for making it up. Well I did NOT
Well Gatorhugger, no apologies here. Having an article citation does provide a source, but you still misrepresented the information. When folks cite an alledged article and then debate its content online without providing the source, then we are left with only having the descenting view of the person reporting the supposedly horrific article. In this case, that was you. I didn't doubt that the article existed, only the absolutist nonsense you reported...which turned out to be nonsense after all!

You said,
Quote:
Big article in my paper today about how ALL the black republicans are going to vote for Obama.
{You provided the caps and I provided the bold}

This statement is pure garbage as the article DOES NOT make any such claim.

It does NOT say that Watts and Powell are going to vote for Obama.

Quote:
J.C. Watts, a former Oklahoma congressman who once was part of the GOP House leadership, said he's thinking of voting for Obama.

Likewise, retired Gen. Colin Powell, who became the country's first black secretary of state under President George W. Bush, said both candidates are qualified and that he will not necessarily vote for the Republican.
Yes, Watts and Powell have considered the option, but that doesn't mean that is how they will vote. Why did you misrepresent this? Why did you take statements that were definitely not absolutist and make them that way?

Good God, the article title specifically states that black conservatives are conflicted about Obama and then backs up the title with information. NOWHERE does it state that 100% of black conservatives are going to vote for Obama.

I noticed that you conveniently left out quotes by the likes of Michael Steele, a black republican himself who opposed Obama...

Quote:
Michael Steele, the Republican former lieutenant governor of Maryland who lost a Senate race there in 2006, said he is proud of Obama as a black man, but that "come November, I will do everything in my power to defeat him." Electing Obama, he said, would not automatically solve the woes of the black community.
So you think I called you a liar and you are looking for an apology? You are a FUNNY FUNNY person!!! :barf:
Old June 16, 2008, 01:10 PM   #19
toybox99615

voter are fools most of the time

how many of you can say you would not vote for a candidate based on some minimal number of criteria. I continually read post of those who will vote for one candidate or another becasue the candidate is or is not: christian, black, male, military hero, long time party member, gun rights supporter, environmentalist, wealthy, will challange Roe v Wade, does not support school prayer, lower taxes, free lunch, ad infinitum. That why its called politics and politicians like to find that one item that will get you to vote for them. Most people are fooled by one or two items and fail to look at the future rather than the present when one or two traits are more important than others.
Old June 16, 2008, 05:20 PM   #20
Gatorhugger

The very fact that Powell, a general and lifetime Republican would EVEN CONSIDER Obama, which is purely based on Race, is a slap and is racist no matter how you interpret the article.
You are correct it did not say 100% guaranteed they would vote democrat, but it does say there is an entire group of old school republicans considering Obama( no they will never come out and declare it and say how they pulled the levers, but read between the lines people)
So this is not nonsense, its a fact. ( thanks for the non apology)
You do have a minority group crying for Americans to be colorblind and expects colorblind decisions in government and the judicial system, EXCEPT when its a minority running for president. Then it's ok for lifetime Republican leaders to say screw the best man, I am voting Black? If Swartzkoff would come out and say, hey, screw the best man/woman in my party, as long as he is white, I am strongly considering him.
Thats Ok?
I don't think so.
Old June 16, 2008, 09:39 PM   #21
Double Naught Spy

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that YOU misrepresented the information in the article to suit your views and political orientation and then wanted an apology when you were called for it.

Just because you don't like it that Powell might have considered an opposition candidate for any reason (be it race, sex, or whatever) doesn't mean that all black Republicans are doing the same thing.

Quote:
The very fact that Powell, a general and lifetime Republican would EVEN CONSIDER Obama, which is purely based on Race, is a slap and is racist no matter how you interpret the article.
Just curious, Gatorhugger, where did you get this fact? Born and raised in Harlem to Jamacan parents, he comes from a democratic party background environment. He has not always been in step with Republican Party ideals and he left the White House in 2004 under less than ideal circumstances. His party affiliation before the 1990s is not known to be Republican. His biography goes into some detail on his bipartisan work with both parties. So how do you know he is a lifetime Republican?

Why would you be shocked by a disgruntled Republican switching parties?

FYI, it does not matter if Powell was a general or not. There have been Democrat generals in the past.

You think I called you out for lying? You did lie by misrepresenting what was stated in the article are and continuing to do so.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; June 17, 2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old June 16, 2008, 09:54 PM   #22
SIGSHR

I think they are just thinking out loud and floating trial balloons.
Old June 16, 2008, 11:40 PM   #23
BreacherUp!

There is no such thing as "reverse racism." It just is.
Old June 17, 2008, 01:09 AM   #24
STAGE 2

Well, I just lost all respect for JC Watts.
Old June 17, 2008, 06:02 AM   #25
Double Naught Spy

oops.