The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2008, 12:50 PM   #1
brockgl

New Setup for a New Reloader!

I have not received any of this equiptment yet, but it is all on order and will be here soon! I want all of you more experienced loaders to look at what I have coming to build a reloading station and tell me if I am set, or if I should consider a few more things. Keep in mind I am going to primarily be reloading .30-06 shells.

1. Redding Big Boss Reloading Press
2. RCBS Competition 2-Die Set for 30-06 Springfield
3. RCBS Vibratory Case Tumbler 110 Volt
4. RCBS Trim Pro Manual Case Trimmer Kit
5. Hornady Lock-N-Load Powder Measure
6. RCBS Model 502 Magnetic Powder Scale 505 Grain Capacity
7. RCBS Collet Bullet Puller w/30 Caliber Collet (308 Diameter) for .30-06
8. Hornady Shellholder
9. 6" Dial Calipers

I obviously didn't list any media/raw materials. I am going to wait until all this stuff has come in and I have my bench setup then I will go to my local gun shops and see what all I can get.

I bought pretty much everything from Midway USA, which had good prices. The Redding press I got from Ebay, and the calipers I got locally.

I would also love any advice on good bullets and powder to get for .30-06 rounds. I will probably be reloading my empty shells, but I may buy shells for handloading too, I don't know.

Any and all advice is much appreciated!
Old April 16, 2008, 03:56 PM   #2
firewrench044

Flash hole deburring tool ( deburrs flash hole inside of case )

Chamfer deburring tool ( deburrs case after trimming )

Primer pocket brush ( with handle and get spare brushes ) (cleans carbon from primer pocket )

Powder trickler ( adds powder in very very small amounts ( if needed ))
Old April 17, 2008, 12:03 AM   #3
btefft

Hornady "Powder Through Expanders" for the powder measure. They expand the case when you dump the powder. That combines two steps into one.

Hack
Old April 17, 2008, 08:11 AM   #4
Sevens

A media separator works very well for me, though others have said they are a hassle. And you didn't tell us what you'll be shooting .30-06 out of, but if it's a bolt gun, consider some brand of neck-only sizing die. This will likely extend brass life, and shorten your time at the bench, reduce case-prep activities and save a little wear & tear on the bicep, too.

On your list, I didn't see any method of case priming. Yes, you can typically use whatever comes with your single stage press (I'm not closely familiar with the one you picked) but some kind of repeatable priming tool is really a necessity, IMO. And I'm a single stage guy, too, but it's horribly monotonous to handle primers one at a time. Myself, I use the Lee Safety Prime, but you might be happy with the RCBS hand priming tool. Some folks like the APS primer strips, but I think they are senseless. I can't imagine using a tool to load a primer strip... so that I can use a primer strip to load cases. That seems like a true Rube Goldberg right there. Others find them to be much "safer" but safety is right at the top of my list of priorities at the bench and I don't need any plastic primer strips.

And these items seem basic, but I would be completely LOST without a powder funnel and a load tray. While the color would clash with your tools, nobody makes a better funnel for the two bucks than the Lee funnel. And any good loading block oughta work, but lately I've been leaning to the caliber specific ones for short little pistol rounds.

Regarding buying from Midway, I think that's a terrific choice. Lately, they've had real issues stocking supplies (it's all flying off of EVERYONE'S shelves) but the customer service, web site, support, shipping, and the millions of dollars they've collected for the NRA (and pioneered the method for that collection) have earned my business for the long haul. IMO, nobody is better for reloaders and shooters across the board than Midway USA. And no, I don't work for them. I've been a customer for 15+ years.
Old April 19, 2008, 11:48 PM   #5
totalloser

+1 on Midway. I love their method of browsing stock. Good prices, too. If you buy bulk, you can verify availability on your hazmat stuff before you call to order.

I almost feel dumb for mentioning it, but you should have a reloading book if you don't already. I have a couple, and think the Lee book is the best for new loader's info. They toot their own horn a little excessively, but it seems to be well founded, and truthful.