The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 21, 2005, 08:33 PM   #1
Bullet94

12 Gauge Buckshot?

Do you think this would be good for home defense? Since it’s nickel-plated would over penetration be a problem compared to copper plated?

Remington® Premier® Nickel-Plated Buckshot
The Power Piston® wads in Remington's® 12-gauge, Premier® Buckshot line provide protection against pellet deformation on firing. Premier® Buckshot is hardened with 3% antimony, nickel-plated for additional hardness, and buffered to cushion pellets. The patterns are 25% tighter than normal buckshot loads. All Premier® Buckshot is water-resistant. Per 5 rounds.

12 Gauge - 2-3/4" - 00 Buck - 12 Pellets - FPS Max 1290
Old August 25, 2005, 09:40 PM   #2
Jack O'Conner

Years ago, I killed a doe with 16 gauge full choked shotgun and #1 buck. A slightly smaller version of 00 buckshot. Best way to describe killing power and buckshot has to do with multiple hits in the vital chest area. A single buckshot ball has very low energy. But if 7 or more buckshot strike this same chest area, the wound(s) cause quick death.

For home defense, a high base #4 pheasant load will kill at close range. But not very likely to injure a neighbor within his home. Something to think about as we live in this highly litigatious nation named America.
Jack
Old August 25, 2005, 11:25 PM   #3
SeekHer

Bullet 94 you'll probably find that you 2¾" shell has closer to 9 than 12 pellets.

For home defence I use either #2 or #4 (preferred) buck...gives you far more pellets to hit with (3X), still has sufficient diameter to cause serious damage and is a lot safer for your neighbours.

To add spice to the evening, I'll load BB or #2 bird shot into the spaces left over from the buck pellets...this gives a very thick, dense shot string and up to 15 yds is devastating when fired out out an Imp Cyl barrel.

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living
Old August 26, 2005, 12:16 AM   #4
BillCA

+1 on the #4 buck for in-home defense.

But the nickle plated 00 buckshot will certainly work. The plating helps harden the shot so it stays round and the shot doesn't disperse due to drag producing "flat spots". Actually, not much of an issue inside a home.

Inside the home, anything from #6 to #2 birdshot or buckshot. You have to remember that you can miss with a shotgun at these ranges too.

When loaded, my 12ga fires #2, #4Buck, #4B, 00B, 00B, Slug.
Old August 26, 2005, 02:09 AM   #5
mathman

Quote:
Bullet 94 you'll probably find that you 2¾" shell has closer to 9 than 12 pellets.
Actually, some 00 buck loads have 9 pellets and some have 12...check it out, it's true.
Old August 26, 2005, 03:40 AM   #6
mtnboomer

Sellier & Bellot have 12 pellets!

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old August 26, 2005, 09:24 AM   #7
Dave R

That's because the S&B has no shot cup, and not much wadding. They lead my bore up something terrible.
Old August 27, 2005, 09:16 PM   #8
Death from Afar

+1 on #4 buck as well. Its Great stuff, and it really mangles the game I have shot in it. Less gaps in the pattern as well.
I didnt know about the wadless S&B ammo. INteresting.
Old August 27, 2005, 09:44 PM   #9
Dave Haven

At the ranges involved in (indoor) home defense, #7 1/2 bird shot will do some serious damage.