The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 3, 2002, 09:01 PM   #1
windknot

Just got my Milt Sparks VMII!

Wow! One damn fine piece of leather for my Defender. Fits great and really stays put. Good molding job that allows hardly any wiggle but draws with ease after about 20 times. Just as described by Sparks. I done a lot of research before going with Sparks but it has really been worth the 8 week delivery time. Could not be more satisified with my choice. Ron
Old January 3, 2002, 09:10 PM   #2
Inspector Callahan

I have never, and I mean NEVER, ran across a bad report having to do with Sparks equipment. That's why I bought a VMII. When the UPS man dropped it off my dogs chewed the crap out of it. They had a grand old time with that horsehide. The shredded packaging covered a half acre!

Didn't hurt a thing. That is some TOUGH stuff! Very comfy way to conceal a full-size 1911. Absolutely hidden, and that's a big gun.

I will be ordering more holsters from these people.
If you don't understand weapons you don't understand fighting. If you don't understand fighting you don't understand war. If you don't understand war you don't understand history. And if you don't understand history you might as well live with your head in a sack. - Colonel Jeff Cooper
Old January 4, 2002, 12:35 PM   #3
knowledgegreen

Hey congrats windknot,

Is yours for right-handed carry? I ordered my VM-II on November 1st, and I am still waiting patiently.
Old January 4, 2002, 06:01 PM   #4
windknot

Knowledgegreen, Yea, mine is right strong side. I ordered mine around the first of Nov. also so you should be hearing from them soon. You'll really be pleased.

Inspector, Good thing dog is man's best friend or we could have been checking the durability of dog hide holsters couldn't we?
Just kidding, love my bird dogs also. Ron
Old January 4, 2002, 08:17 PM   #5
nashgill

Hi,
I recently purchased a used pistol with a VMII and absolutely love the holster. quite comfortable. Now, can someone tell me how to use these kydex clips? I installed them and got the holster on but I don't see an easy way to tuck in my shirt. how do you get your shirt tucked in there? I have been wearing the loops for over a month now and am quite used to them but would like to at least try the clips. they just don't seem as comfortable or easy.

thanks.
Old January 4, 2002, 08:44 PM   #6
windknot

Nashgill, The Kydex clips a designed to grab on to the waistband of your pants. Hold the clips sideways and look at it. The rounded end goes down inside the pant. Carefully pry open the clip careful not to break it and clamp it over the waistband. String your belt over the top of the clips to help conceal them. The clips do not attach to the belt! Look at the clip sideways again and you'll see that the shirt tucks into the slot and kinda bunches into the rounded area at the bottom of the clip. Hope this helps. If there is any confusion let me know and I'll try and get you a copy of the instructions that came with mine. But I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out. Enjoy. Ron
Old January 4, 2002, 08:47 PM   #7
Inspector Callahan

In my honest opinion, the clips are just a selling point. Sort of like a vanity mirror in a Jeep Wrangler. Something extra that costs just pennies to make. Adds an extra "feature", so to speak.

I could be wrong. Maybe the kydex clips work really well. I just never had any real desire to mess with them much. The sharkskin loops are on it to stay now.

I don't think too many folks mess with the clips.
If you don't understand weapons you don't understand fighting. If you don't understand fighting you don't understand war. If you don't understand war you don't understand history. And if you don't understand history you might as well live with your head in a sack. - Colonel Jeff Cooper
Old January 4, 2002, 08:53 PM   #8
nashgill

windknot, I have the instructions and 'mounted' the holster correctly. The clips are so tight against my pants that i cant seem to get my shirt tucked in there. even if i can get it tucked in it seems like there will not be enough room and the shirt will be bunched up in there. doesn't sound very comfortable and sounds like it will make a bulge. do you carry with the clips often? how does it compare with the loops?

Inspector, i think you may be on to something. The loops are excellent, just wondered if there was some 'magic' in the clips that i was missing out on.

Thanks!
nashgill
Old January 4, 2002, 09:43 PM   #9
BiG_MaN

FWIW, anybody wanting to order a Milt Sparks holster should contact Lightning Arms Sports ( [email protected] or [email protected] ) Craig keeps an inventory of holsters, if you want a popular style he may have it. Just think a brand new VMII with no wait! I ordered a horsehide, right hand, VMII for my full size 1911 on 12/20/01 and I had it in my hand on 12/24/01!
Old January 5, 2002, 08:57 PM   #10
windknot

Nashgill, Just got mine so I haven't tried the clips yet. Like you I'm kinda leary of the shirt bunching up. I was just relaying some of the instructions that came with the holster. So far I've got to agree with you and Insp. that the loops are more than satisfactory and not being really hip on the clips. Ron
Old January 6, 2002, 08:02 PM   #11
zorba

I have to agree that Sparks holsters are excellent! I have an NLG with a belt to match. You can't beat the quality and workmanship. The VMII is next on my list!
Old January 6, 2002, 08:53 PM   #12
switch625

i ordered my watch six for my 27 2 weeks ago, the wait sucks. i'm really looking forward to getting it. i too have heard not a single bad word about sparks holsters.

i thought about it, with the long wait and high praise, i ordered one for my 30 as well. i knew i would love the sparks and would want another. just trying to plan ahead.
Old January 7, 2002, 12:39 AM   #13
WESHOOT2

MILT SPARKS INC.

Best.