The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 2, 2012, 10:17 PM   #1
mcd_sports

Bob Costas is a knucklehead

If nothing else, maybe at least there aren't that many people watching my awful Dallas Cowboys versus the awful Philly Eagles... But during halftime Bob Costas praised Fox Sports' Jason Whitlock's idiotic anti-second amendment comments regarding the Jovan Belcher murder/suicide. Idiot!
Old December 2, 2012, 10:23 PM   #2
Don H

What "idiotic anti-second amendment comments " were made? Not everybody watched the game. Without some more information, there's really not a lot to respond to.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:24 PM   #3
KMAX

I just read a KC Star article by Mike Lupica. Apparently nothing bad could have happened if Jovan Belcher hadn't had a gun. It was all because of the gun and not the actions of the man.

I too am watching the Cowboys and was annoyed by Costas not to mention the Cowboys.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old December 2, 2012, 10:34 PM   #4
mcd_sports

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=3725&...-chiefs-killer

Sorry. Here you go.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:36 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Well, unless someone has a direct quote from Costas, I don't see this thread going anywhere.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:38 PM   #6
mcd_sports

Standby. Let me see if i can find it...

Here you go - Bob Costas during Halftime of the Dallas-Philly SNF Game:

"How many young people have to die senselessly? How many lives have to be ruined before we realize the right to bear arms doesn’t protect us from a government equipped with stealth bombers, predator drones, tanks and nuclear weapons?

Our current gun culture simply ensures that more and more domestic disputes will end in the ultimate tragedy, and that more convenience-store confrontations over loud music coming from a car will leave more teenage boys bloodied and dead.

In the coming days, Belcher’s actions will be analyzed through the lens of concussions and head injuries. Who knows? Maybe brain damage triggered his violent overreaction to a fight with his girlfriend. What I believe is, if he didn’t possess/own a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today."
Old December 2, 2012, 10:45 PM   #7
Throckmorton

was chatting with 4 people when he did his stupid remarks,we all just turned the game off...because he really turned us off.
did the network know or care? no
but we did.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:47 PM   #8
mitranoc

Here you go. Ridiculous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqYD...e_gdata_player
Old December 2, 2012, 10:51 PM   #9
larryh1108

I've never seen or heard anything so irresponsible on prime time tv in my life. I wrote NBC and told them if this is their stance then NBC will not exist in my life any more. Costa used this tragedy to further a personal agenda. He is so off base that he needs to apologize on national tv, be humiliated for using a tragedy for personal recognition and then fired.
Everyone here needs to go to NBC.com, scroll to the bottom, find "contact us" and tell them how upset you are. We need to join up to get this guy canned for such irresponsible journalism. I'm speechless.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:04 PM   #10
mitranoc

Quote:
Everyone here needs to go to NBC.com, scroll to the bottom, find "contact us" and tell them how upset you are. We need to join up to get this guy canned for such irresponsible journalism.
Done!
Old December 2, 2012, 11:05 PM   #11
AZTOY

Don't email them call them

call these idiots....212-664-4444
Old December 2, 2012, 11:08 PM   #12
sirgilligan

Quote:
I wrote NBC and told them if this is their stance then NBC will not exist in my life any more.
I am glad you have noticed NBC's stance. I think it has been their stance for a long time now.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:10 PM   #13
Buzzcook

Quote:
I've never seen or heard anything so irresponsible on prime time tv in my life.
You must not watch TV much.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:17 PM   #14
45YearsShooting

Bob Costas comments about NFL murder suicide

Watching an NFL game tonight, I just saw Bob Costas politicize the Jovan Belcher murder and suicide. Basically, he said that if Jovan Belcher did not have a gun, he and his girlfriend would still be alive. Costas blamed the "gun culture".

Of course, Jovan would have found another way to hurt or kill his girlfriend. It's about domestic violence, not gun control. In any case, it is not his place to make comments like this during an NFL game. That's not what I want to listen to while watching football.

I sent e-mails to NBC executives, commenting that Bob Costas has certainly lowered his value to both NBC and to the tens of millions of American gun owners who vehemently disagree with his comments, and with his use of this tragedy to advance his personal agenda.

Here are some e-mail addresses if you would like to send your comments to some executives at NBC Universal:

Brian Steel
Senior Vice President, Public Relations, CNBC
[email protected]

Greg Hughes
Senior Vice President, Corporate Communications
NBC Sports Group
[email protected]

Adam Miller, Executive Vice President, Corporate Affairs
[email protected]

John Kelley
Senior Vice President, Pro-Social and Diversity Initiatives
[email protected]
Old December 2, 2012, 11:26 PM   #15
Beentown71

He was quoting Jason Whitlock a commentator/cover man for KC football. Costas will pass the buck...if we let him.

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old December 2, 2012, 11:28 PM   #16
Dr Big Bird PhD

clearly the proximity of a firearm was the only reason he went mentally unstable. It had nothing to do with deep-rooted emotional problems, countless NFL concussions.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 2, 2012, 11:32 PM   #17
WyMark

I've decided that I'm so offended that someone expressed an opinion contrary to my own that I'm going to let them know that I've chosen to be offended by their expression of their opinion.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:36 PM   #18
Dr Big Bird PhD

You act like Bob Costas is the only person with this opinion
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 2, 2012, 11:36 PM   #19
Tom Servo
Staff

So, Costas is a sports announcer. I don't follow football, so I had to Google it.

Frankly, I don't see any threat to us from this guy. He gets tons of money to comment on a game. Nice work if you can get it. He's using a senseless tragedy to generate material for his job, nothing more.

Quote:
I've never seen or heard anything so irresponsible on prime time tv in my life.
I was active in the 1990's, when the US Attorney General was on television painting us all up as a bunch of homicidal nutjobs. I got worried about that. Costas? Nah.

Heck, I remember the PMRC hearings on music lyrics in the 1980's. Tipper Gore was doing the primetime circuit, describing in excruciating detail the deviant acts being described in songs she certainly didn't want our children to hear.

I swear, if people devoted 1% of the attention they spend on sport to politics, this country would be a better place.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:39 PM   #20
LoneWolfArcher

I found this thread searching for what others were saying about Jason Whitlock and Bob Costas' idiotic stance that the gun is to blame for Javon Belcher's murder-suicide.

I had read Jason Whitlock's article earlier today and had planned on responding on my own blog. Then when I heard Costas going off about it on national TV I couldn't hold it in any longer.

If anyone is interested you can read my response here: http://lonewolfarcher.blogspot.com/

Why those on the left want to demonize the tool instead of the user of the tool is beyond me. But it is sickening.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:41 PM   #21
larryh1108

Quote:
I've decided that I'm so offended that someone expressed an opinion contrary to my own that I'm going to let them know that I've chosen to be offended by their expression of their opinion.
Do you get to do it on national tv with millions watching?

Does your opinion stated on national use the tragic deaths of people unrelated to you as the reason for your forum? Costas used this tragedy to express his opinion on national tv and he said that the handgun was the reason for the deaths. If this is right then your sarcasm rings true. If you don't feel he did anything wrong then your sarcasm rings true. If you own a gun and feel it makes you evil then your sarcasm rings true. Otherwise, you just don't get it.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:44 PM   #22
mitranoc

Quote:
Heck, I remember the PMRC hearings on music lyrics in the 1980's. Tipper Gore was doing the primetime circuit, describing in excruciating detail the deviant acts being described in songs she certainly didn't want our children to hear.
Yeah that was classic - especially being a metal head. It was priceless when Dee Snider of Twisted Sister showed up in court to plead his case.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:49 PM   #23
larryh1108

Quote:
I was active in the 1990's, when the US Attorney General was on television painting us all up as a bunch of homicidal nutjobs. I got worried about that. Costas? Nah.
By your admission, you don't watch football. Costas isn't just another analyst, he is considered one of the top announcers. He isn't preaching to a handful of followers who hang on his every word, he is preaching his slanted views to tens of millions of viewers. These viewers also vote. If Costas uses his anti-gun stance to persuade the people to vote out the ability to bear arms, you will then understand how powerful his words are.

Quote:
I swear, if people devoted 1% of the attention they spend on sport to politics, this country would be a better place.
This may be true but the fact is our country loves their football. Tens of millions of viewers watch SNF and respect Costas for his place in football. If Walter Cronkite got on the Sunday night news andsaid the same things, you would stand up and take notice. Yes, Cronkite. Costas and SNF has that big of an audience. Just because you don't watch doesn't mean his words fell on deaf ears. Tens of millions of people heard him. They also vote. Those facts deserve more than a shrug and yawn. This was a huge blow to the people who respect the gun rights in this country. Tens of millions of people heard him. Where else do you get such a captive audience?
Old December 3, 2012, 12:21 AM   #24
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
It was priceless when Dee Snider of Twisted Sister showed up in court to plead his case.
The best part was that he was joined by Frank Zappa and John Denver. The whole thing was truly surreal.

Quote:
He isn't preaching to a handful of followers who hang on his every word, he is preaching his slanted views to tens of millions of viewers.
I didn't get that at first, but you're right about his popularity. The problem for him is that football fans aren't very big fans of gun control. There's already backlash about his comments building (some NSFW language at the link).

The weird thing is that the blog he quotes is self-contradicting drivel. Whitlock refers to football as a violent game twice in one paragraph before abruptly turning the focus to guns:

Quote:
Handguns do not enhance our safety. They exacerbate our flaws, tempt us to escalate arguments, and bait us into embracing confrontation rather than avoiding it.
He then muses that the shooter's actions will be scrutinized through the "lens of concussions and head injuries." Maybe those things might be the factors in unreasonable and aggressive behavior? Naaaaaah, let's blame guns.

Quote:
This was a huge blow to the people who respect the gun rights in this country.
I think he and Costas will find that they really chose the wrong forum to air their views in the days to come.
Old December 3, 2012, 12:56 AM   #25
pax

Quote:
"What I believe is, if he didn’t possess/own a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today."
Lies.

Suicide rates don't change from one society to another, regardless of gun availability. Suicides with guns decline when guns aren't available, but suicides do not.

A young, professional athlete, a man in his physical prime who plays one of the most violent and physically demanding sports in the world, definitely could kill a petite woman with his bare hands.

That second point needs to be more widely understood, especially by petite women dating high-testosterone young men.

pax
Closed Thread