The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which one do you recommend?
Olympic Arms P.C.R. 99 0 0%
Professional Ordinance Carbon type 15 0 0%
Bushmaster Carbon 15 1 12.50%
Century Arms C93 0 0%
Sig Sauer 556 4 50.00%
Kel-Tec PLR-16 2 25.00%
Another one I have not considered. 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 8, 2012, 06:15 PM   #1
firemediceric

Looking for help in choosing a 5.56 pistol

I'm in the market for a 5.56 pistol. I am aware of the offerings in the way of the Olympic Arms P.C.R. 99, the Professional Ordinance Carbon type 15, the Bushmaster Carbon 15, the Century Arms C93, the Sig Sauer 556 pistol, and the Kel-Tec PLR-16. I'm trying to get the most bang for the buck in the $800 range, if possible, while going with the shortest overall length that may be practical.

Who from first hand experience favors one gun over the other, or if you can suggest another option in this type of platform, I would be most appreciative of any direction you can offer.
Old August 8, 2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Justice06RR

I wish I could help you but I don't have any experience (yet) with any of those you mentioned. I would suggest sticking with the more known brands like Sig, Bushmaster, and Century Arms, but thats just me.

I'm currently planning a pistol AR build as this would be a more cost effective approach, for me anyway. Good luck with your decision.
Old August 8, 2012, 09:35 PM   #3
loose_holster_dan

love my sig p556 swat. i put a single point sling on it, so i can push it away from my body for stabilization. this is important as you know if you've ever fired an AR pistol before. it just feels awkward without the stock. might be better with a foregrip, but you have to have the aow permit to put one on a pistol. imo, the best accessory for an AR pistol is a good laser.

plus, if you ever decide you want to turn it into an sbr, it's piston drive, so it can be a folding stock.

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."

Last edited by loose_holster_dan; August 8, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old November 9, 2012, 08:21 PM   #4
uradaisyifudo

This thread kind of went quiet a while back but I have been thinking about a 556 pistol, it seems like it would be more manageable than a 726 and more accurate. The keltec and sig forum posts generlly seem to be more positive than what I was reading elsewhere on the fancy interweb. I like the simplicity of the piston but the bushmaster carbon pistols seem to get great reviews, and I like the future sbr prospect (but I hate paperwork so that is probably not in my future). Anybody like their bushmaster or is one of the piston operated pistols a better choice?
Old November 11, 2012, 03:48 AM   #5
flgunguy

I think it comes down to how much u want to spend. My buddy has a sig 556 and loves it, but.. he never shoots the thing.

-Indoor ranges don't like it.
-When we go shooting his ammo cost is way higher then the rest of us when we go pistols only.
-He also got yelled at by a range officer for having a bipod on his. RO said that's an SBR if you do that. Unconfirmed if this is actually the law or not. -They're also $1200

If I wanted a pistol in rifle caliber I'd probably get a Draco AK pistol for around $450 and shoot dirt cheap tula ammo from walmart ($3 a box). This kind of gun seems like a novelty to me. Cool, flashy, your going to get a lot of compliments on it. How often are you going to use it, and for what function?
Old November 11, 2012, 06:44 AM   #6
kcub

I have Thompson Encore in .223 and love it. Dead nuts accurate and its actually a handgun, not a rifle with no buttstock. Single shot however.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:05 AM   #7
thedudeabides

Can't mount any accessories on it, cuz it's illegal.

If you're into the short barrel thing, just fill out a tax stamp and get a real SBR.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:52 AM   #8
blackamos

I don't know if the bipod makes it a SBR, I do know that about every Ruger Charger I see seems to have a bipod mounted to it.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:15 AM   #9
robfromga

Illegal?

His are accessories illegal?

Nothing on that pistol is illegal. Have all the letters from the atf to back it up.

Don't buy a dam bushmaster pistol, too many proprietary parts. Don't buy anything premade unless you get a smoking deal. Build it. Buy the lower, have it marked on the 4473 as a pistol or other and get to work. I'd advise you to do a 10.5" or longer upper. You'll want a carbine length gas system, way less problematic.
Old November 11, 2012, 02:40 PM   #10
uradaisyifudo

Building a pistol sounds fun, you say I need to have the lower receiver marked pistol? If I were to build, what brand lower do you recommend, that will be widely compatable? I've never done a build before, is there somwhere I could go for good reference information such as all the parts I need and how whey go together?
Old November 12, 2012, 12:26 AM   #11
robfromga

Lower brand is less important than the parts kit or upper and barrel. PSA is always a good start
Old November 15, 2012, 05:02 PM   #12
Viper1357

I cannot comment on any AR 5.56 platforms, but I have had a Kel Tec PLR 16 for many years and it's been a reliable and accurate weapon. OAL 18.5", approx cost out the door is $500.

Another 5.56 pistol I have recently (less than a year) is a C93. This is very unique as it's like an affordable HK, so mostly just a cool factor. It has also been very accurate and reliable as well. OAL 20", Approx cost out the door $700.

Good luck with what you choose!

Here's are mine and they've been good for me.

"
Old November 15, 2012, 05:10 PM   #13
JimDandy

I bet getting a conealable holster for that is a real pain...
Old November 15, 2012, 05:21 PM   #14
Hairbag

Get a PTR 7.62x39 PDW like this! I know I know but its cool

Last edited by Hairbag; December 30, 2012 at 12:45 PM.

Tags
.223 , 5.56 , ar-15 , pistol