The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 5, 2001, 11:19 AM   #1
Foxy

Just fired my first automatic weapon

I'm still glowing over it, so I thought I'd come over and share my story

We were out plinking at my local shooting spot. Just as we were about to pack it up and call it a day, this gentleman comes over and identifies himself as a NRA representative. He says that he'd appreciate our help to clean up all the brass, targets, and other junk that people haul out to the shooting spot and leave there. Our incentive? He'll let each of us dump a mag from his AKS-47. Naturally, we agree

It was surprisingly fun.

I've never fired anything fully automatic before, so it was definately an experience for me. I did several 2-3 round bursts at a target about 25 yards away, and managed to keep them all fairly tightly grouped. Then I just held down the trigger and was suprised how quickly the rifle climbed. 30 rounds just doesn't last long enough unfortunately

Still, for all of you who have C3 weapons, I am even more jealous than I was two days ago!
Old November 5, 2001, 12:09 PM   #2
KSFreeman

Cute trick. I must try this.

I'll let you shoot mine if you stop with the Class 3 stuff (pet peeve, drives me nuts).
Old November 6, 2001, 01:15 AM   #3
Justin

Hey, KS, I'd be willing to do range clean up if it meant I could put a few rounds through some exotic hardware.

I'll never forget the first full-auto I fired, it was a Stoner 63. It was a blast. And then I got to put a couple mags through a vintage Thompson. I'm not quite sure what happened, but I damn near had a religious experience right there on the range.

That was one day I'll never forget.
Old November 6, 2001, 06:19 PM   #4
KSFreeman

O.K., caliban, just don't use Class 3 when I'm around. (Grumpy old man voice): It does drives me nuts.
Old November 6, 2001, 10:20 PM   #5
Foxy

I'm sorry, I didn't know any better. Just a newbie to full auto goodness.

Why exactly does it bug you?
Old November 7, 2001, 01:03 PM   #6
Justin

I have to admit to being kinda curious about that myself.
Does it have anything to do with the fact that it's sort of an 'artificial' government label?

Old November 7, 2001, 01:36 PM   #7
KSFreeman

Sorry to be grumpy, guys. If you say Class 3, people know what you are describing. Title and class came into being with the Safe Streets Act of 1968 which ended crime in America.

"Class" refers to the type of FFL. Class 1 is Wal-Mart; Class 10 is Stenbridge in Hollywood.

"Title" refers to the type of weapon. Two kinds--NFA and non-NFA. Title I is non-NFA stuff; Title II is the NFA stuff--AoWs, DDs, MGs, suppressors, et al.
Old November 7, 2001, 04:05 PM   #8
Justin

So in essence, you can't have a class III weapon, only a class III dealer who sells NFA title II weapons.

If I'm off base on that, say so.
Old November 7, 2001, 04:29 PM   #9
KSFreeman

Yeah, caliban, think of it as this: the Class 3 thing is sort of like Xerox. Since most people bought photocopiers from Xerox, it became a verb "xeroxing." "Did you Xerox [photocopy] the charges and police reports for the client?"

Same thing with machine guns, since most people buy machine guns from a Class 3 dealer, it became common parlance to call MGs "Class 3" weapons. Some "Class 3" dealers are also DD manufacturers, dealers in explosives, manufacturers of MGs, etc. and have licenses on top of the Class 3. Thus, do you call a machine gun you purchase from them a Class 6 or 8???

This is an extremely fine point and outside federal court I have not heard it used properly (even by NFA dealers).
Old November 7, 2001, 05:38 PM   #10
Billy Bremner

I recently shot an AK-47 (well, Norinko MAK-90) with a "trigger enhancer" that simulates full automatic fire. The gun is not a machine gun, rather a semi-automatic with a USA legal, ah, device.

It takes a little practice, but one can empty a 30 round magazine inunder 3 seconds.

Wm.
1 FA Cup
Voted Footballer of the Year in 1970
Old November 7, 2001, 05:49 PM   #11
buzz_knox

My first was a MP-5K set up as a PDW. May, 1997. My brother-in-law and I were getting over a mutually bad week so we decided to take our minds off things. It definitely did.
Old November 9, 2001, 03:16 PM   #12
Fly320s

My first meeting with a MG (or NFA or whatever) was sponsored by Uncle Sam.

My next meeting with a NFA was last Sunday at the Tusco fun shoot south of Canton, OH. That was a .40SW variety of MP5. I don't remeber the proper designator, only that the owner is a NFA dealer from Columbus.

Man, that was fun. I'd like to have one of those someday.
Old November 10, 2001, 12:28 AM   #13
mept

I have a FEG 22 caal pistol that shoots thrree round bursts or full auto when using federal gold ammo. Only problem is the seven round mag
Old November 12, 2001, 11:44 PM   #14
mgnew

OOOOOOOh WHAT A RUSH!!!

I have to agree with you folks shooting MG's is a lot of fun.The place to make your dream come true is at the Knob Creek Gun Range just south of Louisville KY. it's the largest gathering of MG's in the country. They have a rental line on saturday of the shoot and you can rent about anything you can imagin.
Here's there web site:
http://www.machinegunshoot.com/
You will find the dates and time of the next shoot there.
KC I hope none of this offends you I might have misspelled some words.
Give us a break.