The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 4, 2013, 10:24 PM   #1
Old_Dog

Happy Hip Holster

I arrive home from shopping, take off my gun which has been riding on my belt in either an IWB or OWB holster for the last two or more hours. My hip is sore but I go about my business anyway. Hours later, my hip is still sore. Sound familiar? Read more......
Old June 5, 2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

interesting read...

in my spare time ( of which I almost have none ) I like to dabble making holsters... I've never tried messing with Kydex, or the cross breed style... I sweat a lot, & always thought I'd have a wet hunk of leather next to my skin all week

as far as thinness, I've made a couple holsters, for my revolvers, that had "cylinder windows" a square cut out at the thickest part of the revolver... one holster I covered the outside with a thin layer of leather, so the cylinder wasn't exposed, one I cut all the way through... the cut out kinda acts as a retention system, both my 45 Colt snubbie, & my antique 32 S&W snubbie, both "snap" into the holster...

I've learned, that rounded edges & contours are our friend ( no square corners around the outside of the holster or support, & the bigger radius I can put on corners the better...

unfortunately, we as shooters, seem to have to buy a dozen, before we find something we like... & many, many years ago, as a new CCW carrier, I was in a hurry to get my lil air weight J frame on my belt... no "real" holsters available locally... I ended up with an Uncle Mikes nylon holster with no retention strap, & after dropping the gun out of my holster, onto the parking lot ( twice, getting into or out of my truck ) scratching, gouging the frame, & about bringing me to tears, I swore off nylon holsters for good
Old June 5, 2013, 01:51 PM   #3
armoredman

Tried Kydex, hated it. Different strokes for different folks. I also had such a bad experience with Optics Planet that I will not be able to take the author's advice and purchase from them.
I agree on a rig that distributes the weight, such as this High Noon Double Jeopardy rig, show here with a CZ 2075 RAMI.

I haven't had any real hip issues yet, being a few years short of 50, (not as many as I'd like), but I can certainly understand the author's points!