The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old July 10, 2000, 01:23 AM   #1
JackFlash

OK, FNG here . . . I like the site, but I wonder about discussion of military firearms. Mausers, Mosins, SKS, AK, Makarov, Tokarov . . . that sort of stuff.

Lots of other military forum sites, but The Firing Line seems to attract a more knowledgable crew.

Old July 10, 2000, 12:54 PM   #2
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Jack, we've discussed the possibility before, and AFAIK it's still up in the air.
Old July 10, 2000, 10:54 PM   #3
JackFlash

That's good. Lots of military arms discussion on "The Art Of The Rifle" . . .

Next question is, how do I make "Senior Member" ??? Is it number of posts or time in office???
Old July 10, 2000, 11:59 PM   #4
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

I believe it's 15 posts.
Old July 11, 2000, 03:30 AM   #5
JackFlash

No way 15 posts! I think I've probably posted 15 today alone. I'll just keep posting and see what happens.

Great site BTW!

OTOH . . . I just gained senior status!

[This message has been edited by JackFlash (edited July 11, 2000).]
Old July 11, 2000, 10:02 AM   #6
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Told ja! Told ja! (etc...)
Don't start jumpin', Jack Flash!
Old July 11, 2000, 12:40 PM   #7
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

The idea of a Military forum has its merit and the final Yes or No decision has not been made. We even went so far as to select a moderator for it. High level Marine Officer I believe it was. However - consideration had to be given to the discussion of Classified topics, such as system capabilities that go beyond a mear soldier's trusty rifle. These considerations have put a hold on this subject for the time being. Also - should this be granted, it would set presedence for specialized forums such as one for Law Enforcement etc... while that also has merit - it also has a huge can of worms with it. These problems are also of a classified nature while not being actually classified. Such as police training standards and proceedures. Things we feel would not be in the best interest of the LEO's safety should it become open and public knowledge. (Yes, I know it's already public for the most part, but ease of access to the info is the key there) Considerations for Private code-locked forums was discussed and killed within seconds. Open Forums are for the good of the people - thats why we are here. These Specialized forums are best handled at such sites as TacticalForums.com where such specialties are better housed.