The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 9, 2006, 12:08 AM   #1
croc4

Lee FCD

What is the concensus on these?, do they improve the consistency of your groups? this is a general question not to any particular caliber/gun.
Old May 9, 2006, 07:01 AM   #2
Superhornet

I use them for all rifle calibers that I reload for...which is quite a few all the way from the Hornet up through 45-70 and many in between....In my observation using non-crimper ammo compared to FCD crimped...the following...
In all cases but one, I did get better accuracy with the Crimped ammo...The only one that did not change was the .308 Win. I suggest that the better accuracy was due to the bullet pull being the same on each round loaded, thusly allowing the same pressure before each bullet moved. Of course this is my opinion from the observation and testing I did with the eleven different rounds. There are many on this forum who have much more loading experience than I do. I started in Sept. of 1949. Their opinion and results may vary.......
Old May 9, 2006, 10:58 AM   #3
Nortonics

I bet I'll get some flack on this answer...

The Lee FCD does not help with accuracy, especially in rifle calibers. It's strictly for feeding issues, although in straight wall handgun calibers it can make a big difference in not crushing the brass as compared to a normal crimp die.

As for rifle calibers, if you're looking for best accuracy the Lee FCD is not what you want. Best rifle accuracy will be achieved if you load the lead just to the point of touching the barrel rifling and loading one cartridge at a time. The Lee FCD will help in rifle hunting rounds though to help assure that the rounds will feed properly from a magazine, yet accuracy will be diminished because of the simple fact that magazine fed rifle rounds are deliberately set away from the barrel rifling.

The idea of the Lee FCD in either instance is reliable feeding of magazine fed rounds, period.
Old May 9, 2006, 11:42 AM   #4
Rimrod

Here Nortonics let me take the flack for you...

For the most accurate rifle ammo I don't use Lee dies at all. I do use them for plinker rounds though and don't crimp unless there is a cannelure made for the purpose. In most rifles a crimp is not needed.

As for the handgun rounds if you seat and crimp in different operations you don't need a FCD. The FCD will crush your brass then "irons" it back out. While this is good for feeding it isn't good for accuracy.
Old May 9, 2006, 01:43 PM   #5
Superhornet

NORTONICS-RIMROD----like I said, there are probably many more ""qualified ""reloaders than I am and each has his or her opinion. Look at the data on the AR site. They ran the same tests that I did to a fuller extent. They came up with the same results.......but of course, it all depends on whose holding the rifle.......IMHO
Old May 9, 2006, 02:58 PM   #6
dakotashooter2

FCD probably offer the best usefullness if you are crimping but do not trim your cases each time. They should provide a more consistent crimp. Theoretically it may give you better results with minimally prepared brass. They are also of benefit with thin wall cases that want to fold or buckle when crimp with a normal die is applied.
Old May 9, 2006, 06:03 PM   #7
steve4102

http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html