The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 8, 2006, 11:10 PM   #1
FirearmFan

Need help with girlfriends aim

Hi Everyone,

I took my girlfirend shooting for the first time and she was pretty good. We ran into one problem though. When she focused upon the front sight with both eyes open the target blurred in her vision and became double.

When she focused on the front sight with her left eye closed she saw only one target and was accurate.

Here's the kicker. When she looked at the target with both eyes open the front sight became double. No she did not ride the short bus as a kid.

What do you all suggest. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

357. sig 229R
HK p2000 in .40
Old May 9, 2006, 08:39 AM   #2
Model520Fan

This is all normal, and easily explainable by simple physical facts. The real question is what to do about it. As is perhaps obvious, one cure is to close one eye. This is acceptable, and many people do it all their lives (when shooting).

What is better is to have both eyes open. It is better for match shooting, because it is less fatiguing. Some match shooters use a blinder on the unused eye, which is cheating, but it is not against the rules, and it works. Having both eyes open is also better for serious use of a gun because it will not rob you of either peripheral or stereo vision, if you still have both. [Serious situations sometimes cause tunnel vision, at least psychologically, perhaps optically.]

One may conquer the situation with his or her mind, or perhaps with practice. I have, but I don't know how I did it. Perhaps others can give you more help here than I can.

P.S. It is widely accepted that when aiming a pistol, one should focus on the front sight. Some feel that there are exceptions to this rule, but, like I said, it is WIDELY accepted by competent folks.
Old May 9, 2006, 03:29 PM   #3
Jayb

She should try to learn with both eyes open, and focus on the front sight. You didn't mention which of her eyes is the dominant eye. ( http://www.georgia4h.org/public/edop...edominance.htm)

When she focuses on the front sight, the target will blur a bit. That's normal, and she should be able to adjust to seeing it that way. I teach beginners to sight with both eyes open, although it's very difficult for me to do. I shot for over 40 years before attempting to learn it myself.

Some of my rifles
Old May 9, 2006, 03:58 PM   #4
spacemanspiff

is it possible your girlfriends dominant eye is opposite what you or her assume it to be? i.e., if shes right handed and closes her left eye, and can shoot, but when she opens both eyes, is her dominant left eye sending mixed signals to the brain?
Old May 9, 2006, 10:34 PM   #5
pickpocket

Since others have already offered sound technical advice, I'll go a different direction --

Are you SURE you want her aim to improve??

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old May 10, 2006, 02:11 AM   #6
Hemicuda

She may have a "Dominant eye" problem... (I do)

I am right handed, and left eye dominant... when I shoot iron sights, I have to either shoot right hand/left eye (handguns) or close the left eye (rifles or to shoot handgns with the right eye)

If i try open sights, right eye, focus on front sight, with both eyes open, I get EXACTLY the problem you explain...

2 cures... close or blind the offending eye, or try lefthand shooting...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old May 10, 2006, 07:55 AM   #7
flashman70

There have been a number of threads about eye dominance. I think you should have your girlfriend determine if cross dominance is an issue. If so, she can experiment with different stances and head positions to put her dominant eye behind the sights..........or she could get a Crimson Trace.
Old May 10, 2006, 08:38 AM   #8
Gib

If left eye dominance is the problem, try putting a piece of clear tape over the left lens. She can keep both eyes open and still focus on her target/sights with her right eye.

Gib