The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old July 11, 2005, 11:54 AM   #1
westphoenix

Costco, Firearms Prohibited

Lets not turn this into a war about companies.
Please keep, this thread strictly to Costco.

I respect a companies right to prohibit firearms in their stores.
What I may not respect is why they made that decision.
I sent an email to Costco asking why this is their policy.
I am doubtful that they will reply honestly.
I am sure I will get a cookie cutter reply that doesn't answer my question; "why did you make this decision?".

I did find this link however (scroll down about half way).

I found these statements
"Costco ownership is helping fund moveon.org that is not a group that likes guns or gun owners."
"MoveOn contributors from this area include RealNetworks founder Rob Glaser, Costco co-founders Jeff Brotman and James Sinegal, investor James Roush, and software entrepreneur and environmental philanthropist Paul Brainerd."
Anyone know if this is true?

If a store simply chooses to prohibit firearms from their store "because" I will either not do any business with them, or do as little as possible with them.
If they had a shooting, accidental or other, I can respect that decision and continue to shop there.
Although I would still not agree with it, I can understand that decision.

I am just curious on what you guys think about this and maybe find out why Costco makes this decision in many of their stores.
Doesn't seem to be a nationwide decision though.

BTW, I have seen the firearms prohibited signs at two Phoenix area locations.

EDIT:
Another Link scroll about half way down.

Last edited by westphoenix; July 13, 2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old July 11, 2005, 12:48 PM   #2
Mannlicher

What I wonder about is why you mentioned it at all. Carrying concealed, to me, means just that. I don't bother even reading their signs.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old July 11, 2005, 01:28 PM   #3
westphoenix

Depending on your state entering a property with a firearms prohibited sign is illegal.
Some states consider it trespassing.
You can also face jail time depending on the state.
Old July 11, 2005, 01:41 PM   #4
FrankDrebin

Quote:
If a store simply chooses to prohibit firearms from their store "because" I will either not do any business with them, or do as little as possible with them.

Hmmm, you WOULD buy "as little as possible"? You're hedging already.....What do they have at Cosco that you can't buy, albeit with a little less convenience or cost savings, somewhere else? In other words, what is it that is causing you to compromise on your principals? The cost savings, or the convenience?
Old July 11, 2005, 02:14 PM   #5
westphoenix

A little of both.

I knew this would be asked.

Last edited by westphoenix; July 11, 2005 at 05:24 PM.
Old July 11, 2005, 05:48 PM   #6
John3-16

it must be all about you and not about costco////maybe I need to read your post again...
Old July 11, 2005, 05:55 PM   #7
westphoenix

Im sorry I dont understand what you are saying.
Please clarify, if it is an attack against me please hold nothing back.

How about this.
Have you noticed these signs at your local Costco?
Has anyone heard a statement from Costco as to why they made this decision?
Does anyone know if the statements about Costco's founders are true?
Are those founders still in control of the company?
I don't see why a company like Costco would need to prohibit firearms from their store so I am curious why they do.
Old July 11, 2005, 06:11 PM   #8
Rojoe67

costco

Your post is something I understand. Your action to write and ask for some answers is good too. You will get a legal statement letter if anything at all. That should send you and your family as well, your friends to other stores that don't fear the legal carry of firearm by a licensed and legal citizen. The few cents saved isn't worth it to me or most of us that can and do carry for our protection in the public places known to see criminal activity.

Please let us know IF? they write you back......

Thanks.......

Regards......... Rojoe67
Old July 11, 2005, 06:12 PM   #9
FrankDrebin

Quote:
How about this.
Have you noticed these signs at your local Costco?
Has anyone heard a statement from Costco as to why they made this decision?
Does anyone know if the statements about Costco's founders are true?
How about this: There are nuts and incompetents out there who have concealed carry permits. Forbidding every concealed carry permit holder from carrying will eliminate some of those nuts and/or incompetents from carrying in the store. Store management believes that by posting the signs, they are doing their part to eliminate nuts with guns in the store, and by extension, eliminating some of the liability they might incur by lowering the number of guns in the store, or nuts with guns in the store, or at least giving the appearance that they did their part to try to reduce the number of both.
Store management and possibly their insurance company is aware of the idea that people with guns in the store may be able to save the day and avert a mass homicide in the store some day, but feel that they have more civil liability by allowing people with guns in the store than they do in forbidding people with guns to enter the store.

If you ever get an answer, let me know how close I came. Who cares WHY they made that decision? It's their decision to make. If you don't feel good about shopping at Costco without your gun, ask around to find a store that welcomes gun carriers. If all the pro-gun people boycotted the big box stores, maybe some of the smaller ones would still be around.
Old July 11, 2005, 06:14 PM   #10
mvpel

Alan Korwin in Arizona has been working to enact a Gun-Free Zone Liability Act there - it would hold the owners of places which prohibit possession of defensive firearms liable for damages suffered by victims of certain criminal acts where a defensive firearm would have made a difference.
1 Samuel 13:19
Old July 11, 2005, 06:15 PM   #11
FrankDrebin

Quote:
Alan Korwin in Arizona has been working to enact a Gun-Free Zone Liability Act there - it would hold the owners of places which prohibit possession of defensive firearms liable for damages suffered by victims of certain criminal acts where a defensive firearm would have made a difference.
That's a dumb idea.
Old July 11, 2005, 06:30 PM   #12
John3-16

what I was trying to say was you asked about a co. and the first 2 to post jumped on you not the store
Old July 11, 2005, 06:33 PM   #13
dasmi

Probably true.

http://buyblue.org/detail.php?corpId=17
Old July 11, 2005, 07:25 PM   #14
Redondo

I won't shop Costco. Those of you that will, for convenience or price, well, you deserve the place. Every major gun rights orgs. from the NRA to the Pink Pistols, has lists of companies that send dollars, and support to anti-2nd Amendment groups. If you wish to keep shopping with them, well, like I said, "you deserve the place"!
Old July 11, 2005, 08:31 PM   #15
MillCreek

I have been shopping at Costco since the first store was opened south of downtown Seattle back in October 1987. I can say that none of the Seattle-area stores that I frequent have any signs whatsoever about firearms or carry thereto. I wonder if this is an Arizona phenomenon due to some unique state laws. I happen to be in Dallas right now for a seminar, and many businesses here have signs at the doorway prohibiting firearms carry on the premises. For that matter, most bars and taverns back home have similar signs.

I can further say that my brother once did some custom glass work at the Issaquah home of a Costco senior vice president. It turns out that the senior vice president was on the US Navy pistol team, and my brother in fact sold him a tricked out 1911.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old July 11, 2005, 08:34 PM   #16
RoyG

dasmi... You beat to that link...

FYI
Quote:
Costco Wholesale currently has a 99% BuyBlue rating due to political contributions for the 2003-2004 election cycle. Costco executives contributed heavily to Democratic candidates for Congress and some in high-profile Senate races including Barack Obama and Tom Daschle, and many Democratic candidates for President.
Old July 11, 2005, 09:28 PM   #17
USP45usp

That is why I shop at Sam's or Wal-Mart, they aren't anti-gunners (if they can help it depending on the state they are in).

I know, many don't like either or but at least they don't try to push their anti-gun agenda on me. (talking about Sam's and Wal-Mart as the one's that many don't like and they don't have an anti-gun agenda that I know of).

And for those that are thinking "well, he can't afford the membership", the membership to Costco is a fringe benefit and I haven't used it in over 4 years that I've had it. They just built a new Sam's in the area and I pay for that membership myself.

Wayne
Old July 11, 2005, 09:34 PM   #18
drinks

Frank;
Would you please elaborate on your reply in post # 11?
What you posted makes no sense, at all
Don
Old July 11, 2005, 11:05 PM   #19
BobK

When I'm carrying I ignore those signs unless it's the post office or school. What they don't know won't hurt them. If I have to defend myself, I would rather be prosecuted for carrying a gun in the wrong place instead of being a victim to some low life.
Old July 12, 2005, 05:01 AM   #20
FrankDrebin

Quote:
Frank;
Would you please elaborate on your reply in post # 11?
What you posted makes no sense, at all
Don
I should have elaborated more earlier: I think it's a dumb idea for the government to start legislating what you can be held liable for in this type of case. I wouldn't like it if the government specifically passed a law that said "A store can be held liable if a legal CCW carrier negligently kills someone inside if they didn't post signs that say "no guns" anymore than I would like it if the goverment said "A store can be held civially liable if they adopt a policy that prohibits guns and someone is killed in violation of criminal or civil law and there was no one around with a gun to stop it."

Quote:
it would hold the owners of places which prohibit possession of defensive firearms liable for damages suffered by victims of certain criminal acts where a defensive firearm would have made a difference.
The "would have made a difference" part bothers me too. You can't ever say that a defensive gun WOULD have made a difference, only COULD have....
Old July 12, 2005, 10:03 AM   #21
westphoenix

Thanks for letting me know that they support anti-gun organizations.
I was not aware of that.
By the way, the last couple times I bought anything at Costco was because a family member wanted something they sold (tools, etc.).
Costco does offer some packaged products you cannot find elsewhere.
If someone says I want that blank blank they have at Costco, I will probably get it for them.
I don't like to substitute gifts.
My membership, which was a gift, ran out over a year ago and I have not purchased anything from them since.
I don't see myself shopping there any longer though.
The more I read about Costco, the more I dislike.
I have no complaints about my Sam's Club.

BTW, I have noticed very few firearms prohibited signs in the Phoenix area.
Many carry here, mostly concealed, but open carry is not uncommon.
Old July 12, 2005, 09:54 PM   #22
chris in va

I'll have to check all those signs a little more closely next time I shop there. Never really noticed anything obvious.
Old July 13, 2005, 10:20 AM   #23
westphoenix

Chris,
The ones I have seen (older, roll-up door Costco's) are low on the wall, 2'-6" to 3'-0" off the ground.
They are usually placed between the entrance and exit doors, closer to the entrance door.
There is also usually steel poles coming out of the ground, the sign cannot be seen from certain angles because of this pole.
Also if you are entering when others are entering, there is a real good chance someone will be blocking the sign.
Their placement of the sign is not in plain view, IMO.
Old July 13, 2005, 02:06 PM   #24
MillCreek

I just drove right by the entrance of the Silver Lake Costco in Everett, Washington, looking for any such sign, using the above poster's location notes.

There are no such signs. I have not seen any such signs on any Costco here in Washington state. This again leads me to wonder if this is something unique to Arizona or some other states due to something in their state laws.

The only signs related to firearms carry prohibitions that I have ever seen in Washington are on bars and taverns, courthouses, schools, Federal or State government buildings, some healthcare facilities and military installations. I just don't see them on other private businesses, unlike I did in Dallas, where I just returned from a seminar.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old July 13, 2005, 05:42 PM   #25
cyf7tkwl

At least one CostCo in Colorado has no-firearms signs. Doesn't affect me at all because I have never been inside a CostCo, Sam's Club, or similar stores.